Co: Ewr-cgn $198+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:40 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

excellent recap. thanks, dirk. ^
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It appears that there will be quite a few Flyertalk members on the EWR-CGN flights over Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DangerMouse
It appears that there will be quite a few Flyertalk members on the EWR-CGN flights over Thanksgiving.
yes, it does (i.e., bump).
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:02 am
Suspended

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but here goes.

Koln hosts an annual Karneval celebration before Ash Wednesday with parades and I believe floats, etc. Although I have not been to one there, though I have been to Koln at other times, it seems that since most of the festivities occur over the President's Day weekend, this would be a natural for those wishing to enjoy an extended weekend in the city.

When I looked last week (at reward tix) there was availability. I would think that paid tix would be available, as well.

I would be going to Koln, had I not earlier booked award seats for a 10 day vacation to Hawaii.

Good Luck!

PS -- There are also a Marriott and a Renaissance as well as a Hilton property in Koln. Likely Intercontinental group and SPG hotels, as well.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:09 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but here goes.

Koln hosts an annual Karneval celebration before Ash Wednesday with parades and I believe floats, etc. Although I have not been to one there, though I have been to Koln at other times, it seems that since most of the festivities occur over the President's Day weekend, this would be a natural for those wishing to enjoy an extended weekend in the city.
Rosemonday (the main festivities are held on that day) is February 19th next year, and generally the Karneval runs from the Thursday prior ("Women's Karneval") through Ash Wednesday (Wednesday after). Keep in mind that Cologne will be swamped by Tourists that day and hotels will probably run at a premium. Also forget sightseeing during that period - yet beer-tasting should be very easy. And bring those Halloween-costumes if you want to blend with the crowd...;-)!

PS -- There are also a Marriott and a Renaissance as well as a Hilton property in Koln. Likely Intercontinental group and SPG hotels, as well.
There is almost all chains present. There is a Intercontinental, several Holiday Inns and HI Express, a Crown Plaza and a Four Points as well as a Hyatt. Also Accor Hotels properties and a NH-Hotel. So you name it, we have it...;-)! Keep in mind however that hotels over here are more expensive than in the USA, a Best Western easily runs at 70 Euro over the weekend (more during the week).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
yes, it does (i.e., bump).
Bump! Yes this could sway me to travel 11/25-26 but the planes look a little empty at the moment. Do you see any better dates for a bump?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:25 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Great find! I will definitely be doing some quick turnarounds (out Saturday - return Sunday) this spring to give me a head start in re-qualifying for elite again.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by eagle92
Great find! I will definitely be doing some quick turnarounds (out Saturday - return Sunday) this spring to give me a head start in re-qualifying for elite again.
Cologne is definetly worth a stay... Try to go out on Friday evening and turn back on Sunday...
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djohannw
Rosemonday (the main festivities are held on that day) is February 19th next year, and generally the Karneval runs from the Thursday prior ("Women's Karneval") through Ash Wednesday (Wednesday after). Keep in mind that Cologne will be swamped by Tourists that day and hotels will probably run at a premium. Also forget sightseeing during that period - yet beer-tasting should be very easy. And bring those Halloween-costumes if you want to blend with the crowd...;-)!

There is almost all chains present. There is a Intercontinental, several Holiday Inns and HI Express, a Crown Plaza and a Four Points as well as a Hyatt. Also Accor Hotels properties and a NH-Hotel. So you name it, we have it...;-)! Keep in mind however that hotels over here are more expensive than in the USA, a Best Western easily runs at 70 Euro over the weekend (more during the week).

Greetings - Dirk
I had checked the Marriott website for its hotels and they are quite open and relatively inexpensive -- it was surprising to me given how New Orleans and Rio have sold out months to a year in advance.

President's Day in the US is 2/19, so one could go for a 3 day weekend and have a great time.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Anybody know how good the rail system is over there? Are there quick trains available to places like Frankfurt and Amsterdam?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
Anybody know how good the rail system is over there? Are there quick trains available to places like Frankfurt and Amsterdam?

Thanks!

Ams is a 3hrs ride, special fares available a 39 euros one way. Check on www.db.de

FRA is very well connected, sometimes you have a flight number but you ride on a train! Many trains and flights for this short hop.

I'm renting a car in CGN and going to AMS because the train would get me back to late in CGN on monday morning.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
I'm also trying to find out about the train station in the airport. I found a train from CGN to Amsterdam central. Is anyone familiar enough with this airport to know how long it would take to get from the arrival terminal to the station in the airport?

This is the website for the German rail system. There is a link at the top for english.
http://www.bahn.de

TIA
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Harrald
I'm also trying to find out about the train station in the airport. I found a train from CGN to Amsterdam central. Is anyone familiar enough with this airport to know how long it would take to get from the arrival terminal to the station in the airport?

This is the website for the German rail system. There is a link at the top for english.
http://www.bahn.de

TIA
Train station should be in the lower level of both terminals. I guess it will be shorter than in BRU!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:14 pm
Suspended

what is the difference between www.db.de and www.bahn.de?

and, it's a bit difficult to find the specials, no?

i want to go from CGN to amsterdam central station.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
what is the difference between www.db.de and www.bahn.de?
Use www.bahn.de; the other site will take you there as well, but it is mostly for corporate information.

On bahn.de, you can click Internat. Guests for the English page; however it seems as though many specials are not listed there. The 39 special is valid until December 9th only, but similar specials are around most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.