Wiki Posts
Search

AA MR from LAX before 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Question AA MR from LAX before 12/31

I need at least 6 more segments flown on AA prior to 12/31.

I can fly up to two Thursdays, any Friday or Saturday and if I depart on a Thursday or a Friday, I can come back the next day if necessary.

I can depart from LAX, LGB or BUR. I know someone in ATL so I may want to go there; the easiest routes to figure out will probably be via DFW, STL or ORD in any case.

I have a passport so I can travel internationally if necessary (might be a hassle, though, since immigration forms require a destination address).

I would like to keep it at around $100 per segment if possible.

I ran a search but my skills are kinda rusty! What looks good guys? :-D

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:26 am

Try something along the lines of LAX-FLL or LAX-MIA with a connection in both DFW and ORD. I can guarantee that you can do this under $600...probably $350ish.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
LAX-SJC has been ~$200.

If you're looking for segments, then you'll certainly want to consider adding in a bounce to another West Coast airport in any itennerary.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:56 pm

Same-day SF Bay runs are usually a good bet: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504283
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
LAX-DFW-AUS for $331 all-in will give you 4 of the segments with double miles on all the segments.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD
There's a $189 all in fare LAX-BNA currently available for the direct non-stop flights. It could allow you to drive down to Atlanta for your social call while keeping you under budget on the segments.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
There are some 1-stop $178 R/T fares available (do a "Dates Flexible" search on AA.com) between LAX & FLL. Also, there is a double miles promo between LAX & DFW and also DFW & FLL.

Mileage = 2354 via DFW x2, & bonus x2 = 9416. Your Gold bonus on the basic miles = 1177 and you'd also get 500 miles for booking via AA.com for a total miles of 11093. Using an affinity CC would add another couple hundred miles!

I'm not a good numbers cruncher and did the above in a couple minutes without rechecking... I think it's correct!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Try Vegas, routing through the Bay and/or watch the weekend specials and grab one - easy transcon via SFO/ORD/DFW gets the segs done too.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM / Hilton DIA/Marriot PLT/Hyatt PLT
Maybe this helps.....

LGB-SEA-ORD - $260 RT on AA - no Sat stay required.. (I needed 10 days in advance).

(That's Long Beach, Seattle, Chicago ) ~5200 miles - THE SEA-ORD segment is on a codeshare (Alaska).

Last edited by NoETA; Nov 5, 2006 at 12:12 am Reason: mistype
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:18 am

While many of the suggestions given are good ones, they are, IMO, making the situation far more difficult than it actually is.

Six AA elite qualifying segments from LAX can be done in one day for less than $300 on Alaska. For example, flying something to the effect of LAX-SEA-PDX-BOI-LWS-SEA-LAX (all in one day, with a ~3 hour turn in BOI) can be done for $259 all in. (I checked December 2 as a random date, and found quite a few itineraries that would meet the OP's need in a single day).

Note that four of these segments would be on QX turboprops, but for cost and time, I'm not sure that the OP can do better, what with simply the need for AA qualifying segments.

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

I ended up going with an LAX-SJC same-day run and a 4-segment LAX-MIA run. In all, I am paying about $68.33 per segment.

Thanks so much to everybody that replied with super helpful tips! It really, really helped me out.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dlombard
I ended up going with an LAX-SJC same-day run and a 4-segment LAX-MIA run. In all, I am paying about $68.33 per segment.

Thanks so much to everybody that replied with super helpful tips! It really, really helped me out.

Thanks again.
I guess you missed the available LAX-MCI run for $138+ (about $178 all in for 6 segs)?

I hate when that happens.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

I sure did, but I got tied up because two friends COULD NOT confirm for me for over two weeks!! Oh well, I will enjoy Miami. :-)
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dlombard
I sure did, but I got tied up because two friends COULD NOT confirm for me for over two weeks!! Oh well, I will enjoy Miami. :-)
I think they owe you dinner. Or perhaps a nice cheese basket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.