Reload this Page >

$199 NYC-LON on DL ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$199 NYC-LON on DL ??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by iahphx
What all in coach fare have folks actually been able to book? I tried some dates on farecompare, found the $198, but then it wouldn't actually book at that price.
Every weekend I tried in Jan and the 1st half of March (didn't try Feb) was available for $228, which comes out to $304 with the taxes. DL.com let me pick the flights and proceed to booking, and that's where I stopped. Previously, the $228 price would revert to $400-500+, but now that it's actually showing me the $228 fare, I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't let me book it if I tried going all the way with it.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It's working now

The flex search for weekends showed $228+tax for all combinations in February.

I just bought President's Day weekend for $305 all-in in T.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:43 pm
Suspended

The routing rules seem to be different depending on where you originate. From the US you can only go on DL1 and DL2. However, originating from the UK you can route via ATL. See Below:

Routing rules from the UK:

AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
DL FLIGHT 12
DL FLIGHT 10
DL FLIGHT 11
DL FLIGHT 9
DL FLIGHT 58
DL FLIGHT 36
DL FLIGHT 59
DL FLIGHT 37
DL FLIGHT 001
DL FLIGHT 002.

TRANSFERS
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Mofomat
The routing rules seem to be different depending on where you originate. From the US you can only go on DL1 and DL2. However, originating from the UK you can route via ATL.
The problem is that fares from UK show up as $228, but when you go to book them, they go to the $400-500+ levels...

Has anybody found any bookable $228 fares ex-LGW?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loran
It's working now

The flex search for weekends showed $228+tax for all combinations in February.

I just bought President's Day weekend for $305 all-in in T.

That's strange. How could "the taxes" only be in the $75 range these days? They've been near double that for a couple years now. What's missing, and is it a mistake?

$300 all-in would be a truly excellent fare to Britain, even if winter.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by iahphx
That's strange. How could "the taxes" only be in the $75 range these days? They've been near double that for a couple years now. What's missing, and is it a mistake?

$300 all-in would be a truly excellent fare to Britain, even if winter.
I don't think it's a mistake. I had to go to the CTO in Grand Central Terminal and was issued the ticket in about 2 minutes. Although I had to wait in line for about 30 min.

EDIT: She even waived the $15 ticketing fee since I was the first person to book DL1 & DL2 at that CTO.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
What is the penalty for date change for BusinessElite fare?

Nevermind ... I think I have found the answer ...

Originate from the US, USD400
Originate from the UK, change not allowed

Last edited by LHSEN; Aug 25, 2006 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by bostonbali
The problem is that fares from UK show up as $228, but when you go to book them, they go to the $400-500+ levels...
One reason for the big increase is that many other carriers add on a sizeable "fuel surcharge" in addition to the taxes and fees.

Also....I might be wrong.....but it does appear that taxes and fees for passengers originating in Europe are somewhat higher than for those who originate in the USA.

A.J.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deejboram
I don't think it's a mistake. I had to go to the CTO in Grand Central Terminal and was issued the ticket in about 2 minutes. Although I had to wait in line for about 30 min.

EDIT: She even waived the $15 ticketing fee since I was the first person to book DL1 & DL2 at that CTO.
I went to Zuji (travelocity's Singapore-based service, which still allows flexible search) and, sure enough, the "taxes" on this fare are only $105.30. That's a big reduction from previous US-UK taxes, and makes this a pretty good deal (it would be a great deal if you didn't have to travel in winter).

Does anyone know why the taxes are lower? Is it fare specific, or has their been some sort of change in the US-UK tax structure? It certainly helps on cheapo transatlantic fares, because previously you were looking at about $150 to the UK on any fare.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Was able to book on delta.com for $303 Jan12 - Jan 16.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:32 pm

I just picked up two of these tix for Presidents Day (2/15-19). I just realized that DL or other ST Elites can't pre-book Exit rows or Bulkheads. Definitely detracts from the experience for me (I'm spoiled by CO and NW who allow me to book Exit rows across the globe!)

Still a good deal though, $303.27 all in!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Found the GLA fare

Originally Posted by wanderlust_jules
did you figure this out? i need to fly to GLA in november and that would be a sweet deal.
You can book it on zuji.com, comes up at $235 + $130 - not too bad. However zuji tacks on $12 service fee plus $30 paper ticket fee (no e-tickets). I also found it on onetravel.com and cheapseats.com for $417 all in.

The interesting thing for me is that this fare is the DL1/2 flight to LGW, plus a BA or BMI flight to GLA. Not normally what I would expect for a DL partner. This is a sample of what I found:

Delta Air Lines flight 1
Depart: New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) - Thu, 07 Dec at 7:05pm
Arrive: London Gatwick, UK (LGW) - Fri, 08 Dec at 7:25am
Connecting To
British Airways flight 2958
Depart: London Gatwick, UK (LGW) - Fri, 08 Dec at 10:40am
Arrive: Glasgow, UK (GLA) - Fri, 08 Dec at 12:10pm

British Airways flight 2953
Depart: Glasgow, UK (GLA) - Mon, 11 Dec at 6:10am
Arrive: London Gatwick, UK (LGW) - Mon, 11 Dec at 7:35am
Connecting To
Delta Air Lines flight 2
Depart: London Gatwick, UK (LGW) - Mon, 11 Dec at 11:00am
Arrive: New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) - Mon, 11 Dec at 2:10pm

Price Summary
1 adult = USD 235.00
Taxes and Surcharges = USD 130.20
Service Fees = USD 12.00
Total Price = USD 377.20
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:26 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Originally Posted by Bulldog King
One reason for the big increase is that many other carriers add on a sizeable "fuel surcharge" in addition to the taxes and fees.

Also....I might be wrong.....but it does appear that taxes and fees for passengers originating in Europe are somewhat higher than for those who originate in the USA.

A.J.
delta like most US airlines does not add the fuel surcharge to the advertised fare. For a direct flight US-EU, 80 bucks in real (non airline revenue) taxes are normal. Once you have a connecting flight within Europe the real taxes add up, generally around 25 EUR (35 USD) per extra leg.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
AA have matched

Booking code from the UK

WLFWEBUA which earns 1EQP as well as 1EQM, good for a challenge. Put in dates in Feb 07. Total price for ticket 198GBP.

Also tried a booking to BOS and got a ticket price of 214GBP with a stopover in JFK on the way out. Date used were Jan 26-28.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:54 am

Thanks to the OP!

I was able to snag two tickets for $303 per person all in for March 21 - 29. However, it looks like most of the March dates are gone at that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.