Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$199 NYC-LON on DL ??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
CO / thanksgiving / Bump?

On co.com I see EWR-LON $293 leaving either 11/24 or 11/25 returning 11/26 as available...great MR for me...
In your opinion
1) what are the chances of getting bumped?
2) Is the Friday 24th or Saturday 25th better for a bump?
3) Turn around in LON is 2 hours. Is this enough?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:29 pm

CO / thanksgiving / Bump?

On co.com I see EWR-LON $293 leaving either 11/24 or 11/25 returning 11/26 as available...great MR for me...
In your opinion
1) what are the chances of getting bumped?
2) Is the Friday 24th or Saturday 25th better for a bump?

Last edited by Clincher; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:31 pm Reason: sorry I do not know how two posts posted
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:23 pm

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
I think the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving are light travel days (but getting a bit stronger).

Sun & Mon after Thanksgiving are busy days (as is day before Thanksgiving).
Two years ago, the Tue after Thanksgiving was a good bump day because Mon had lots of weather problems on the East Coast, and everyone got shoved onto Tuesday.

I'm also not sure whether European flights are affected as much as domestic.

P.S. I'm flying BRU-JFK-ORD-SFO on Wed 11/22 (day before Thanksgiving), hoping for a bump.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mitchell
I think the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving are light travel days (but getting a bit stronger).

Sun & Mon after Thanksgiving are busy days (as is day before Thanksgiving).
Two years ago, the Tue after Thanksgiving was a good bump day because Mon had lots of weather problems on the East Coast, and everyone got shoved onto Tuesday.

I'm also not sure whether European flights are affected as much as domestic.

P.S. I'm flying BRU-JFK-ORD-SFO on Wed 11/22 (day before Thanksgiving), hoping for a bump.
If Saturday Nov 25 is Thanksgiving day (right?) then wouldn't Friday and then Mon and Tues be the big travel days domestically.
My wife thinks they do not celebrate Turkey day in Europe so why would the travel across the pond be heavy? I took a look and even though it is bit early the planes are empty on these dates to LON. Anyway I think we are holding off--I hope your bump comes true! Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA; DL;
Originally Posted by Clincher
If Saturday Nov 25 is Thanksgiving day (right?) then wouldn't Friday and then Mon and Tues be the big travel days domestically.
My wife thinks they do not celebrate Turkey day in Europe so why would the travel across the pond be heavy? I took a look and even though it is bit early the planes are empty on these dates to LON. Anyway I think we are holding off--I hope your bump comes true! Thanks for the reply
One would think our holidays would't effect Europe travel but oh how wrong an assumption that is! I have spent the past 4 turkey days abroad and the past 2 in Europe as well as this coming one. Not only have the flights been full going and returning, there are very lucrative bumps to be had. Last year I flew to Prague via FRA, I was last on the plane and it was oversold. I returned the following monday and both PRA and FRA flights were oversold. The year before that it was London... not only oversold but begging for volunteers. This year I'm off to GLA via LGW and traveling the same dates as usual. I'm hopping for a bump but I have zero status on DL.

No worries about finding a turkey dinner. I have found there is always a place catering to American expats and having the traditional turkey. I've had my turkey dinner in Sydney, London and Prague, complete with stuffing and pumpkin pie. Last year's pie tasted a bit funny so this year I'm baking it myself and carrying it on with me (if they will allow by then anyway).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:09 pm

Very likely not enough time.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I'm taking advantage of the fare on DL (JFK-LGW 11/21, back 11/26) to spend my first Thanksgiving with my brother in years. He now lives in Bristol, UK, and his wife, a native Bristolian, assumed that Thanksgiving dinner was just the British Christmas turkey with pumpkin pie added. It took him a few years to shyly tell her we don't roast sausages with the turkey.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:02 am

Turkey day is Thu Nov 23 (in the US) and Thu Oct 9 (in Canada).
Wed is usually the biggest travel day of the year in the US.
Fri & Sat are usually light days, and airlines often run specials to fill the planes.

Sun & Mon are heavy as people return.

----
My experience with bumps around Thanksgiving is pretty good.

2005, Thu 11/25/05 KLM SFO-AMS-MUC, Tue 11/29/05 KLM MUC-AMS-SFO
Thu 12/01/05 KLM SFO-AMS-VCE ($750 bump on SFO-AMS)

2004, Thu 11/18/04 CO SFO-EWR ($200 bump & $200 bump), Mon 11/22/04 CO EWR-SFO
Wed 11/24/04 AA SFO-JFK-LHR ($600 bump & upgraded to C on JFK-LHR), Wed 12/1/04 AA LHR-JFK-SFO

2003, Thu 11/27/03 CO SFO-CLE, Tue 12/2/03 CO CLE-SFO

2002, Tue 12/2/02 CO CLE-IAH-LAX ($300 bump & $300 bump, because of weather delays Mon)

Last edited by mitchell; Sep 2, 2006 at 12:32 am
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:18 pm

Turkey day is Thu Nov 23 (in the US) and Thu Oct 9 (in Canada).
Wed is usually the biggest travel day of the year in the US.
Fri & Sat are usually light days, and airlines often run specials to fill the planes.

Sun & Mon are heavy as people return.

----
My experience with bumps around Thanksgiving is pretty good.

2005, Thu 11/25/05 KLM SFO-AMS-MUC, Tue 11/29/05 KLM MUC-AMS-SFO
Thu 12/01/05 KLM SFO-AMS-VCE ($750 bump on SFO-AMS)

2004, Thu 11/18/04 CO SFO-EWR ($200 bump & $200 bump), Mon 11/22/04 CO EWR-SFO
Wed 11/24/04 AA SFO-JFK-LHR ($600 bump & upgraded to C on JFK-LHR), Wed 12/1/04 AA LHR-JFK-SFO

2003, Thu 11/27/03 CO SFO-CLE, Tue 12/2/03 CO CLE-SFO

2002, Tue 12/2/02 CO CLE-IAH-LAX ($300 bump & $300 bump, because of weather delays Mon)
Cool! How about your bump history around 2/14-21.
US holidays:
President's Day
Federal Holiday - Observed third Monday in Feb.
Lincoln's Birthday Feb. 12
Washington's Birthday, Feb. 22
UK events
Scout & Guide Founder's Day Service
Saturday closest to Feb. 22
Scouts and Guides congregate at Westminster Abbey to remember Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the movements, on his birthday.

I can do a Friday Feb 16 or 17, return 18
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:37 pm

Cool! How about your bump history around 2/14-21.
US holidays:
President's Day
Federal Holiday - Observed third Monday in Feb.
Lincoln's Birthday Feb. 12
Washington's Birthday, Feb. 22
UK events
Scouts and Guides congregate at Westminster Abbey to remember Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the movements, on his birthday.

I can do a Friday Feb 16 or 17, return 18
Not Good.
$400 bump LGA-ATL on 1 flight out of 10.

Add Valentine's Day. The day before/after might be good - depending on which day of the week it is.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:41 pm

Not Good.

Add Valentine's Day. The day before/after might be good - depending on which day of the week it is.
Valentines day is on a Wednesday, 2007 Not so good. I looked at a calendar of Events in London but never heard of most of them. So what is a good holiday early next year? Or has CO likely already factored this question and I will find it unavailable?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
UK events
What if you don't get the bump? You've got to put up with a plane load of scouts and guides for no reward
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
What if you don't get the bump? You've got to put up with a plane load of scouts and guides for no reward
Nightmare
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Not Good.

AND what about those of us connecting to attend Pre-Lenten European Carnivals in Italy, Portugal, Spain, France and others? Fat Tuesday is the 20th of Feb. Think about sitting next to a guy wearing a 5' tall Papier Mache head!
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
sounds like DL are still releasing seats down to the T fare bucket. I've only got J on a flight yesterday and today its back to T:S
how often do they do this? and will they do this to flights with plenty of pricy Ys left?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.