Reload this Page >

UA LAX/SFO-MEL $716.50 all in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA LAX/SFO-MEL $716.50 all in

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:37 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thumbs up FT Kicks ...!

IAH-ORD-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-ORD-IAH for $781. Not a "true" MR, but a great fare to the OZ during for school vacation!

22,552 EQMs for $.0346
46,104 RDMs for $.0169
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: UA / SPG
Do you have a reference/source for where it says that it won't qualify for Triple Miles?

Originally Posted by kkirksea

<update> Whoa. E-Fares get only REGULAR bonus miles. and this is now posted as an E Fare. If one qualified for triple miles, this can get interesting.

And a wee bit confusing.

At the time the new pricing was set and visible tonight, it was *not* visibly an E-Fare ( the e-fare web page wasn't posted yet, and nothing on the page said it was a e-fare). CSR indicated that it's more than just a "K" fare basis that is involved, so one can't tell from the fare basis, either. Then AFTER I asked for the voucher.. the e-fares page was added to the site, indicating that it was an e-fare.

Somebody else previously confirmed that original Australia special pricing was not considered "e-fare", and therefore qualifies for triple miles ( if you do ).
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:58 am

This seems confusing. Anyone is clear on it?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book in on the E-Fares booking tool, it is an E-Fare. If you book fares on the regular site, it is not.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by blahman
Do you have a reference/source for where it says that it won't qualify for Triple Miles?
From *most* perspectives. It will. There's a note on the E-FARES page ( way at the bottom ) that says

"E-Fares are not eligible for online booking bonus miles. Only standard Mileage Plus flight miles will be earned upon completion of an E-Fares flight.".

This does not show on the ticketing page if one approaches it via the normal search for fares... ie. it appears someone could be hit by this without ever knowing they were viewing an "e-fare"? I read up and down the "K" rules I had printed out, without seeing anything like this.

There seems to be a LOT of conflicting rules/info on Australia flights:

A) Per another thread: Triple miles is a Reward, not bonus miles, so should count regardless of "combination" or other restrictions.

B) Triple miles, if you have em, trump the general Double Miles promotion starting Mar 1, per another thread.

C) I've no idea what will happen if one tries to sign up for the Australia Bonus miles, ( or others ) on top of this. I'm afraid to! Particular with the new "supercede" type clauses and conflicting "not combinable/combinable" in different deals.

D) Consensus per another thread, was the 4-Day Sale was *not* considered an e-fare special limited by the above quoted rule.

E) UA CSR/Super believes if you have a 4-Day Sale price booking (?term correct?), and get vouchers for price drop difference, the rules of the *original* deal apply. Whatever miles you'd get under the original deal, you'd get on the re-priced one.

F) Then there's the 2500 mile booking/online bonus. Does one get it or don't they?

G) Based on the above "standard miles" ( which I can't find defined ) I'm not even sure premier bonuses applies?

H) It's apparently not just the "K" class, there are apparently other qualifiers and rules that also apply... the CSR indicated they can't tell what or what does not apply by just looking at the class alone.

SO... depending upon interpretation and prioritization of rules, when one does what.... one could get something like 17K miles, up to something well over 70K miles.

IRS Tax rules are suddenly looking straightforward and unambiguous!

I guess I'll find out when the miles post, what I eventually get!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Standard bonus miles only" for E-Fares is NOT in reference to any other bonus miles campaign - it simply does not earn the 1,000 united.com booking bonus.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
"Standard bonus miles only" for E-Fares is NOT in reference to any other bonus miles campaign - it simply does not earn the 1,000 united.com booking bonus.
Thanks for clarifying!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA-1P SPG-G PC-PLT
$656 all in with OZ ecert

Today UA emailed me a one use ecert for 10% off spring travel to OZ. When I went through the regular (non-efare) booking engine with the ecert, i priced SFO-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO for $656 all incl. And that fare should include the 1000 mile online booking bonus too!

Did anyone else receive the ecert as well?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
Originally Posted by kkirksea

B) Triple miles, if you have em, trump the general Double Miles promotion starting Mar 1, per another thread.
Did I miss something? Is this the 12.5K/25K targeted that has been around for a little while?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I am seriously considering doing this twice during March Madness. It fares out better than any transcon I can get on the weekend during that period.

I also received the 10% e-cert for Australia.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
(Hi Pat!)

I am seriously considering it too. Although it's a long way to go to just turn around and come back. I'd like to stay in Sydney for a couple of days. Everything for me depends on whether this trip would earn trip miles; it's just not worth it to me if it won't.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javachik2004
(Hi Pat!)

I am seriously considering it too. Although it's a long way to go to just turn around and come back. I'd like to stay in Sydney for a couple of days. Everything for me depends on whether this trip would earn trip miles; it's just not worth it to me if it won't.
I don't see why it wouldn't earn triple miles.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
damn...i just bought a tix using the orbitz coupon on sunday..lost out on $300!! cmh-syd
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by haricharan
damn...i just bought a tix using the orbitz coupon on sunday..lost out on $300!! cmh-syd
Cancel & rebook, surely the change fee on the ticket you booked is < $300. This applies only if you originally booked travel on UA though.

Last edited by jjclancy; Feb 21, 2006 at 3:49 pm Reason: assuming you were originally booked on UA
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Cancel & rebook, surely the change fee on the ticket you booked is < $300. This applies only if you originally booked travel on UA though.
i would, but i bought it on orbitz (first and last time!). united doesn't want to touch it and orbitz does not price out the sale fare on ual.com (its 200 more on orbitz). seems like i'm pretty much stuck. orbitz rep says that they don't match fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.