Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

You CAN get in trouble with an airline for doing MRs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You CAN get in trouble with an airline for doing MRs!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:44 am

Thanks for the heads up on DL. Certainly NOT the way to welcome full fare paying customers!!!

I fear the OP could have come up with many reasons s/he needed to stop at all those airports. In the end, all loyalty programs keep the rights to having the last word on granting/taking away miles.

IIRC DL has tried other not-so-smart moves dealing with mileage accrual and has not necessarily bloomed after such decisions. Maybe they have not heard enough times the famous words "we understand you have a choice of airlines and look forward seeing you soon again".
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:29 am

I've noticed that 2 connections is the maximum that you can book online w/DL in any direction. An error message message appears if you attempt to do otherwise. Best to avoid being greedy.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by dldkjones
I've noticed that 2 connections is the maximum that you can book online w/DL in any direction. An error message message appears if you attempt to do otherwise. Best to avoid being greedy.

It is best to avoid Delta.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by CountinPlaces
It is best to avoid Delta.
LOL, agreed.
I always try and avoid the agents when booking MRs, but sometimes it cannot be helped (vouchers, irregular ops, etc.). Usually I am armed with flight #s, etc. This is easily explained with the fact that "work colleagues are meeting up with me in X airport and we're traveling on together." Never any question after that.

All the majors know that MRs exist. Clearly DL has taken a line that they don't appreciate our kind of transactions. I say, let 'em crash.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:07 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:09 am

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Gold (comped)
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
All the majors know that MRs exist. Clearly DL has taken a line that they don't appreciate our kind of transactions. I say, let 'em crash.
Quite a contrast with NW, which actually ran a promo at the end of 2004 aimed directly at MRunners. (Well, I guess it was specfically aimed at those trying year-end to make status - but at least it is recognition that sometimes we just fly for the miles).

Keep on rackin'em up!
/s/ basic
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:13 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by vinnmann
I don't think the point is whether or not the passenger needed to stop at each destination. The point DL is making is that if you are paying for a flight from A to B, you get mileage from A to B, and not mileage from A to C to D to B. I am sure that if the passenger wanted to pay the fare for each segment that DL would happily credit him for all the fllight.
The OP is paying the fare for that valid routing, what more do you want him to do? He should get credit for the mileage.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
They just dropped the Plat to 75k MQM so perhaps they are trying to protect it by playing tough
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Somewhere in all their crap, Delta clearly states that they reserve the right to credit you with the mileage of the most direct possible routing for any trip. This has been hashed and rehashed on the Delta board over the years. Many don't like it, but they do come clean on the policy, somewhere. Now I forget where that is. DL even has a nice little unit called the RPU, or Revenue Protection Unit whose sole job seems to be to detect crazy multi-segment mileage runs. Mileage runs per se are not disallowed, and are actively encouraged by Delta personnel. They just try to prevent you from taking a lot of extra segments to add extra miles to the trip.

The RPU was very busy pre 9/11, and was a major discussion point at the Delta board. Perhaps they're coming back into activity.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
DL even has a nice little unit called the RPU, or Revenue Protection Unit whose sole job seems to be to detect crazy multi-segment mileage runs.
Oh . . . I thought it stood for Revenue Prevention Unit. At least that is what it stands for in my case.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more I hear about DL and the RPU, the more resolve I have to not fly it.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:11 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
jjglaze77,

Have you asked OSH about this?
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Four Seasons By Invitation, SPG Gold, #1 Club Gold, AmEx Plat
Just completed my DCA-CVG-BNA-ATL-LAS-ATL-BNA-CVG-DCA itinerary where I had to pick up documents in BNA, have them signed by a client in LAS, and then returned them to someone in BNA.

Only two of my segments have posted online. Stay tuned for info on any calls from RPU.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
When they tell you that you cannot make a connection "just for the mileage" then tell them that you are fine with that. Your going to SLC to get a sandwich, deliver a package, etc. Just tell them your flying anyway and you need to meet someone for 1 hr.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Deltspygt
Just completed my DCA-CVG-BNA-ATL-LAS-ATL-BNA-CVG-DCA itinerary where I had to pick up documents in BNA, have them signed by a client in LAS, and then returned them to someone in BNA.

Only two of my segments have posted online. Stay tuned for info on any calls from RPU.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.