Wiki Posts
Search

Yahoo Travel "Best Fares" problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

Yahoo Travel "Best Fares" problem

I have encountered a very annoying probmem with Yahoo's Best Fares from XYZ function. Frequently I receive the following message when hitting the 'check availability' button:

The fare you have selected has changed since the last time it was published.

This is bad news whenever I get excited about a cheap fare that suddenly increases by 30% (e.g., PDX-OGG $321 changes to $437), but it really sucks when I fail to recognize a good deal (e.g., PDX-MUC is listed at $399, but on travelocity the lowest fare is $312).

Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I too find this annoying BUT this is how it works: Fares change thousands or hundreds of thousands of times per day. Best Fares data is collected relatively infrequently (daily?). So the fares DID exist, but Best Fares is not searched out in real-time, it runs off of data collected hours previous.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:30 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Another annoyance with Yahoo is that the dream maps and fare finders just show the base fare, without taxes and fees. On int'l tix, those can be pretty hefty. I like seeing the dream map to get a fare trend, and then go after the specifics on ITA or Expedia, which show the final price in the search results.

Pat
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:48 am

They also suck because seemingly every time I pick an available date, they say it is no longer available, and they have reconfirmed some alternate dates around it, which then also turn up as unavailable. I hate yahoo travel.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Wink Let me count the ways

The worst is that Yahoo displays fares (to places I really want to visit) almost always not low enough for me. I really really really hate that. Let's all boycott Yahoo Travel because it makes life too hard for us.

Pushpak

PS - And such small portions too.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: jus starting em
agree wholeheartedly
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:44 pm

I really dont think anyone here buys from yahoo travel but just uses that low fare finder to see the dates for cheapest travel.

I go to yahootravel, then to ita software, then book directly with the airline. Seems like the best way for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.