Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

TheThanksgiving Holiday bump success/failure list!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TheThanksgiving Holiday bump success/failure list!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:53 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
November 29, 2003
Failure: DL1727 CLE-CVG (Flight was just full)
Success: DL526 CVG-BWI
6 volunteers were needed; Compensation includes a confirmed first class seat (4A)for next day’s earliest flight DL502 to BWI, a $400 Delta voucher, $10 dinner coupon, $4 breakfast coupon and one night stay in Hilton at CVG airport

November 30, 2003
Success again: DL502 CVG-BWI
4 volunteers were needed. Compensation includes a $400 Delta voucher, a confirmed coach seat (with no seat assigned at this moment—a good sign for overbooking) on DL482 to BWI leaving four hours later plus $8 snack coupon.

Final success: DL482 CVG-BWI
5 volunteers were needed. The gate agents offered me to fly ATL (DL387) then from ATL to BWI (DL1112) with confirmed coach seats. The third $400 Delta voucher was in my pocket.I noticed that DL1042 to MKE was also searching volunteers with $200 compensation plus confirmed flight to ORD and ground shuttle to MKE.

The flight to ATL landed 20 minutes prior to my connection flight, which made me almost miss the connection flight due to change of terminal. Delta changed the aircraft to BWI from 757 to 763, which is still full (the flight might also be overbooked).

So, my first time on Delta with $174 BWI-CLE RT earned me back $1200--not a bad deal. Next year I have to aboard Delta more to secure my elite status on NW. The only pity I have is that I didn’t get window seats but aisle seats for CVG-ATL and ATL-BWI.

Happy bumping!!

------------------
Phil, U of Illinois and O'hare are always in my mind!

[This message has been edited by UA vs NW (edited Nov 30, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by UA vs NW (edited Dec 01, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by UA vs NW (edited Dec 01, 2003).]
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:33 pm

Success!
11/29 DFW-SJC
$200

I was flying from FLL and asked the desk with about half hour to go if they needed volunteers. The woman looked into her computer and said you know, why not, we might need you. She took my ticket and noticed my name and said she said my electronic upgrade had gone through also!

It didn't look good for volunteers as they kept giving two couples final calls. They called me up and asked if I wanted to get on the flight and I said I'm flexible, as long as it's a good seat.

In the end, they had an empty seat, but decided to let me go on the next flight 2 1/2 hours later. I was the only volunteer.

My reward: $200 voucher.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:35 pm

oops, flight 1135
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:39 pm

Success!
On Sunday, 11/30,
UA 979 LHR-JFK
4 VDBs were granted. UAL voucher US$800.00 each person plus Dinner and Breakfast coupons.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:35 am

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Failed on US 183 PHL-DEN on 11/30 due to my hesitation in deciding whether or not to do it since the flight was oversold...by the time I had decided to volunteer, I got in line and when I was at the head of the line, they said they didnt need any more volunteers...D'oh!!! They were offering a free ticket for the Lower 48/Canada...

N674UW

[This message has been edited by N674UW (edited Dec 01, 2003).]
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:05 am
Suspended

failure on American Airlines' Miami to LaGuardia flight on 11/30 at 8:45 PM. flight left with empty seats despite being "sold out" for weeks.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
Failure: CO 1455 PIT-IAH 5:45-7:50pm 11/26/03

It had been showing full for the last week or so, but there was a change of equipment from a 735 to a 733 the day before the flight, opening up more seats...

K
Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
What a weekend of dismal failures for me! I had purposefully booked a specific itinerary to take advantage of bumps... I guess this just goes to show how illusive they are.

In addition to the failures reported on the outbound, my returned yielded no better:

FAILURE: 11/30 - UA750, SEA-ORD, 12:22PM
FAILURE: 11/30 - UA261, ORD-DEN, 6:45PM
FAILURE: 11/30 - UA5957, DEN-COS, 8:58PM

Interestingly, all these flights have been "zero'd out" for weeks now. When I arrived at the airport in SEA, the CSR put me on all the VDB lists but said they were only oversold "by a few." We ended up taking standbys on all the flights, so my hopes were doomed.

Oh, well...

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Ah, interesting! I heard that there were more volunteers than were necessary.. good to see an FTer be one of them.

Not sure how they managed everything, considering coach was oversold by 20? and Biz by 15 or something like that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AirTravelLover:
Success!
On Sunday, 11/30,
UA 979 LHR-JFK
4 VDBs were granted. UAL voucher US$800.00 each person plus Dinner and Breakfast coupons.
</font>
Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Thought I'd pipe in with an observation.

Headed out this am from DTW to GEG through MSP and they were looking for 10 at the gate. When we were basically loaded on the plane, the GA came onboard and advised that they were still looking for 1 more and offered a $300 TV and a free ticket!! Someone rang in - SOLD!!

It's too bad that I had to make my connection to GEG or I would have taken it.

Tubeman

Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:21 pm

11/30 NW 250 DTW-FLL (Success)

They needed 8. And they were basically begging at the end for people. It was the last flight of the night so many people weren't too big on do it.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I went 0 for 4 -- On only one flight (the final one) were they even interested in volunteers.

Itinerary (domestic F and international J) was:

Wed. Nov. 26th
AA# 1857 DCA-MIA
AA#56 MIA-LHR

Sun. Nov. 30th
AA#57 LHR-MIA
AA#1960 MIA-DCA

As mentioned, they were seeking volunteers at the gate for AA#1960. I offered up my boarding pass, but just before closing the doors they paged me, gave it back, and wished me a pleasant flight.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I was in CMH for Thanksgiving. I was actually lucky that the flights weren't overbooked as I missed my 6:55 AM flight out of White Plains, NY (on CO) on Thursday. I was put on standby for the 10:43 AM flight and luckily was able to get on and make it to Columbus in time for Thanksgiving.

However, that standby helped me out as once I missed my first flight, the rest of the flights got cancelled even though I followed all the rules and arrived at the airport within two hours of my first departure. Therefore CO had to re-book me in F for my Sunday return on a severely overbooked flight (CMH - IAH - LAS). So when I arrive at the airport, there were 3 CO flights leaving for the three hubs (EWR, CLE, IAH). All were last flights of the day and all were overbooked and they were asking for volunteers. They were begging for EWR bumps - $300 but the re-booked flight was the next day. Not many takers. In any case, I volunteered for the CMH-IAH and was #1 on the list. But in the end, they did not need me (nor anyone for CLE). CO seems to be pretty good this year about keeping the planes full and the bumps to a minimum. I also recall CO asking for 1-2 volunteers this morning (Mon 11AM) for the CLE-ABE flight - $300.

So no bump luck for me but I was re-booked in F for new flights as to make up for screwing up my earlier itenary. So I am hoping to get 50% EQM miles for that atleast.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
11/30- American 685 DFW-SAN was oversold and they were offering $200 vouchers and a rebook on a flight four hours later, I would have taken it only HP wouldn't reschedule me on a later flight back to Phoenix from SAN without a $100 change fee so I boarded 685 which ended going out without an empty seat.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Congratulations to the Talkboard winners and thank you to those who voted for me.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

Sun. Nov. 30th
AA#57 LHR-MIA

.[/B]</font>
surprising that one went without anyone...i scored $500 on flight 101 LHR-JFK and got rebooked 2 houres later (and almost another voucher)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.