Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN/JHB getaways?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

SIN/JHB getaways?

I'll be traveling solo in SIN on May 29 for 3 days. I've heard that flights out of JHB are cheaper and I can earn NW miles (non-EQM, right?) on MH. Can anyone recommend a great one day excursion or overnighter to a non-over-developed destination in Malaysia? I thought Kuching would be nice, but I can't seem to find a ticket price, just timetables. Any info on anything would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Aaron

Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:07 pm

Expedia is showing flights available 05/29 JHB-KCH and 06/01 KCH-JHB on Malaysia Airlines for $107.16. Malaysia Airlines runs a shuttle bus from the Copthorne Orchid Hotel in SIN directly to the JHB airport for around S$12 (I believe the return ticket is about 15 Ringitt or about US$4.00). I went to Kuching this way last November and found it fine (other than being a little time consuming taking the bus from SIN-JHB). I found Kuching a very pleasant and interesting place. If you decide to go, it might be wise to go ahead and get your tickets soon, because when I was booking our trip it seemed like the flights between JHB and Borneo tended to fill up early, especially on Sundays (we ended up having to buy Business Class tickets because all the Economy seats were sold out).
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:07 pm

Did you consider the Indonesian islands of Bintan and Batam?

Rather than spend your precious vacation time flying/busing, these islands are a short 60min ferry ride from downtown Singapore and both have an assortment of (golf) resorts, depending on your budget. Anything you can find will be cheap, because its in Indoneian Rupiah!
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Langkawi or Penang are both great destinations to visit from SIN--check MH or Silkair for fares. Flights are about ~1 hour. The Sheraton Langkawi is a good spot with prices generally <USD$100.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flychic:
Did you consider the Indonesian islands of Bintan and Batam?</font>
I was trying to research this, and found ferry schedules to Bintan, but which one is better? Which one is less developed? Which one can you get to a beach easier? I just want a simple R&R day of swimming and local market shopping.... etc.
Thanks for your help
Old Mar 15, 2003, 5:23 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I was at the Sheraton Perdana in Jnauary for 3 days. Its a nice hotel, but not worth the $100 or so a night rate, given how cheap other nicer resorts are in Malaysia.OTOH, this hotel is a bargain as a category 2 starwood hotel. If you have points, its a great way to spend them.
Note that you must connect in KUL from either SIN or JHB. Each segment is less than an hour. Email me if you have questions
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaromanis:
...but which one is better? Which one is less developed? Which one can you get to a beach easier? I just want a simple R&R day of swimming and local market shopping.... etc.</font>
How many days do you want to be away from civilization? What type of budget? Even Singapore has places like this, you'd be suprise. Ever heard of a "kelong"?

Email me and I'd give you personalized tips.

Old Mar 17, 2003, 5:58 am

Having been to Bintan, I wouldn't describe it as cheap (compared to the rest of indo). Becase of its close location to Singapore most prices are comparable to Singapore. The place we stayed at charged everything in SGD.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:21 am

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaromanis:
I'll be traveling solo in SIN on May 29 for 3 days. I've heard that flights out of JHB are cheaper and I can earn NW miles (non-EQM, right?) on MH. Can anyone recommend a great one day excursion or overnighter to a non-over-developed destination in Malaysia? I thought Kuching would be nice, but I can't seem to find a ticket price, just timetables. Any info on anything would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Aaron

</font>
Fly Air Asia from Johor Baru (Senai airport) to Langkawi, and then stay at Pulau Rebak Marina (http://www.rebakmarina.com/). Sometimes they have packages such as rooms, meals, and transfers.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
AK Air Asia is the best deal out there. They used to fly in and out of Subang but use KLIA now, yet they do not fly out of JHB. Yet their fares to Langkawi are around 100RM Return.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ryan754:
AK Air Asia is the best deal out there. They used to fly in and out of Subang but use KLIA now, yet they do not fly out of JHB. Yet their fares to Langkawi are around 100RM Return.</font>
Oops, you're right. My mistake: AK doesn't fly from JHB yet. Web fares from KUL to LGK with advance purchase are going for around RM82.49 before taxes (RM98.49 total).

MH on JHB-KUL or vice-versa is quite reasonable though. One way fare is about US$41.29 total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.