Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Help! $220 SFO-TPA over President'sDay Weekend----but no cheap cars available!! UGH!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! $220 SFO-TPA over President'sDay Weekend----but no cheap cars available!! UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2002, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Thanks to this site, I was able to get a good fare departing Feb 14 SFO-TPA then returning on the 17th for approximately $220 r/t.

However, when I tried to reserve my car, both alamo/national and hertz are sold out, and AVIS offered me a compact for $90 per day!!

If this were the case, my car rental will cost almost as much as my ticket. Any suggestions on where to get a cheaper car rental? or am I just SOL?

Oh well, I guess that I'll just have to pass this one up for now...

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Dec 27, 2002, 5:38 pm

Try priceline for car rentals. We've always been able to get excellent rates through them.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 7:38 pm

For 2/14/02 9 AM to 2/17/02 9 PM Avis online shows a compact in TPA for $243.96. Using AWD D002807 the rate cuts to $124.99.

Hope this helps. For more info in the AWD code see the Avis forum discount code thread.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rocketman:

For 2/14/02 9 AM to 2/17/02 9 PM Avis online shows a compact in TPA for $243.96. Using AWD D002807 the rate cuts to $124.99.

Hope this helps. For more info in the AWD code see the Avis forum discount code thread.
</font>
Thanks for the Advice Rocketman! I got a rate for $125.50. Still a tad expensive but much much better! Thanks again!

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:53 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
I usually check one or more of the major search engines (expedia, orbitz, etc.) then go to www.rentalcarguide.com to check for fare specials and/or discount codes.

Then I try Priceline but only if I will have significant savings over a cancelable rate.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:41 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
You might check and see if there is an InterAmerican location in TPA. They sometimes can beat the competition by 50%
Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Frightening prices....I thought Fla was supposed to be cheap for cars.

I better start shopping for March.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:06 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Watchful:
Frightening prices....I thought Fla was supposed to be cheap for cars.

I better start shopping for March.
</font>
This only happens in February in Florida. I go there at least 4x a year and typically pay around $20/day for a compact. I was stupid enough to forget about this month since I went through the same thing last year. For some reason, February is the busiest month for car rental companies in Florida. (even Orlando and Fort Lauderdale are booked that weekend.)

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Dec 28, 2002, 4:11 pm

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
Just read a newspaper article about how some rental companies offer Drive-To-Florida for $29/day in January.

They need to reposition their fleets for a few months. Perhaps to handle the Florida Spring Break rush.

In April, they have a Drive-To-Northeast special.

The article (NY Times Leisure section I think) suggested these for one-way vacatioon drives.

Perhaps could be combined with an open-jaw mileage run.

Mitchell
Old Dec 28, 2002, 5:00 pm

check out the rental car rate on Hotwire.com. Then go to Priceline and bid about 2/3rds of that amount, and you should do quite well.

Also, check www.BiddingForTravel.com to see what kind of rates others are getting at Priceline.

Good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 5:59 pm

I love this AWD.

From Avis, K753401 will get a $25/day compact car. It works for those particular dates at TPA, and will give a sub-compact or compact car for $100.

Mike
Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nako:
I love this AWD.

From Avis, K753401 will get a $25/day compact car. It works for those particular dates at TPA, and will give a sub-compact or compact car for $100.

Mike
</font>
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You Again!

With this code, I was able to reserve it for $97.00 total! I love all of you!

Thanks again to all of my fellow FTers!

I just found out that this was the BA special $25/day promotion. However, it says that it's only good until the end of December 2002....will I run into any problems with my reservation since it's February 2003?

I already made the reservation but it didn't say anything out of the ordinary.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy

[This message has been edited by SFnFlaGuy (edited 12-28-2002).]
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:41 am

Drive Away on $25 a Day! - Save Big on Compact Cars from Avis®!
Wingate and Avis have teamed up to offer U1 members a rate of $25 per day on weekend* sub compact / compact car rentals until April 31, 2003. Also, receive up to a 15% discount on all car groups for weekly rentals.
Other Avis benefits include:
· Discounts on other car groups available
· Frequent flyer miles for many airlines
· Roadside assistance anywhere in the U.S. / Canada
· Cellular phones and child safety seat rentals

For reservations, visit Avis at [ http://wingateinns.01o.com/ajtk/serv...jg&R=341134006 ]www.avis.com or contact 1-800-331-1212. Use AWD# K753409 to receive your special rate or discount.

Terms and Conditions:
* Two day minimum with a Saturday night stay over required. Advance reservation required. Five day minimum rental required for weekly rates. Vehicles and rates subject to availability at participating U.S. locations. Rate not available in New York metro locations. May not be available during holiday and other black out periods. Age, driver, and credit requirements apply. Rates are non discountable, subject to change, and may not be used with any coupons, other promotions, or offers. Taxes and surcharges mafy apply.. Car must be returned to renting location. Rental period may not exceed seven days.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
Drive Away on $25 a Day! - Save Big on Compact Cars from Avis�!
Wingate and Avis have teamed up to offer U1 members a rate of $25 per day on weekend* sub compact / compact car rentals until April 31, 2003. Also, receive up to a 15% discount on all car groups for weekly rentals.
Other Avis benefits include:
� Discounts on other car groups available
� Frequent flyer miles for many airlines
� Roadside assistance anywhere in the U.S. / Canada
� Cellular phones and child safety seat rentals

For reservations, visit Avis at [ http://wingateinns.01o.com/ajtk/serv...jg&R=341134006 ]www.avis.com or contact 1-800-331-1212. Use AWD# K753409 to receive your special rate or discount.

Terms and Conditions:
* Two day minimum with a Saturday night stay over required. Advance reservation required. Five day minimum rental required for weekly rates. Vehicles and rates subject to availability at participating U.S. locations. Rate not available in New York metro locations. May not be available during holiday and other black out periods. Age, driver, and credit requirements apply. Rates are non discountable, subject to change, and may not be used with any coupons, other promotions, or offers. Taxes and surcharges mafy apply.. Car must be returned to renting location. Rental period may not exceed seven days.
</font>

Thanks for the info! I was able to make a reservation with this code for the same $97 total price!

Thanks again FT! You guys are the greatest!

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Dec 29, 2002, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Somebody let us know when April 31 rolls around, so we'll know this code is ready to expire!

Seriously...I was able to use this also for my March trip, so thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.