Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

*A Elite status for 2003 + 2004 in one shot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, I'm just trying to confirm how this works. I've heard that if you rack of 35000 miles before a certain date in 2003, you will be given elite status for the remainder of 2003, and all of 2004. Is that true? It seems more logical to do that if you achieve 35k AFTER some specific date. What happens if you achieve the 35k mark after this cutoff date?

I'm an Aeroplan member, I'm wondering if its documented anywhere on their site.

Thanks a lot for any info on that topic
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
That's true with most programs. Status and benefits will actually be good through February 28, 2005.

[This message has been edited by kluau88 (edited 12-27-2002).]
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:35 pm

The emphasis on a particular date (typicaly Feb.28) is to avoid a gap in status. For instance, if you earned status for 2002 it typically continues until February 28 of 2003. If you did not earn status in 2002 for 2003, you can still avoid a gap in status by flying the required mileage during the first two months of 2003. The extreme example would be fly the required mileage every other year during January and February to maintain status all the time.

Typically, if one earns status during year one it continues through February 28th of year three.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rasolfg:
Hey guys, I'm just trying to confirm how this works. I've heard that if you rack of 35000 miles before a certain date in 2003, you will be given elite status for the remainder of 2003, and all of 2004. Is that true? It seems more logical to do that if you achieve 35k AFTER some specific date. What happens if you achieve the 35k mark after this cutoff date?

I'm an Aeroplan member, I'm wondering if its documented anywhere on their site.
</font>
The cutoff date is around mid November each year. If you qualify for Elite or SuperElite before mid November each year, you'll be granted that status the following Sunday for the remainder of the year and for the following benefit year. (Until February 28, 2005 in this case) This is not a published benefit but this is what will happen.

Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
The cutoff date is around mid November each year. If you qualify for Elite or SuperElite before mid November each year, you'll be granted that status the following Sunday for the remainder of the year and for the following benefit year. (Until February 28, 2005 in this case) This is not a published benefit but this is what will happen.

</font>
I don't get it ... what happens if you qualify AFTER mid-November?

------------------
Vasant

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited 12-27-2002).]
Old Dec 27, 2002, 10:34 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Then your newly earned status will not be active until when the following benefit year starts (March 1). This is the rules for Air Canada Aeroplan, not to every program.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 70Jaguar:
The extreme example would be fly the required mileage every other year during January and February to maintain status all the time.</font>
Been there, done that. Excellent advice! The best, (if it fits into your schedule and budget).

Welcome to FlyerTalk rasolfg.

For some additional input, I believe this is how Continental still handles Elite qualification:

For Elite qualification purposes, the clock starts at zero each January 1st.[*]Silver - 25,000 miles or 30 segments[*]Gold - 50,000 miles or 60 segments[*]Platinum - 75,000 miles or 90 segments

Silver, Gold or Platinum Elite status must be earned during a Calendar Year* toward the next Elite Program Year.** As you qualify during the current Calendar Year, you are upgraded usually the next day to the appropriate Elite level, and your Elite status will continue through the entire next Elite Program Year! As you qualify during the current calendar year for each higher elite level, your status is automatically upgraded immediately.

Elite level qualification base miles or segments accrue during a Calendar Year. For qualification purposes, Calendar Years may not be combined, and base mileage or segments which determine elite status (or a higher level of your existing Elite status) start over each January 1st.

* A Calendar Year is January 1-December 31 of the same year.
The current Calendar Year is January 1, 2002-December 31, 2002.

** An Elite Program Year is March 1-February 28 (or 29).
The current Elite Program Year is March 1, 2002-February 28, 2003.
The next Elite Program Year is March 1, 2003-February 29, 2004.

Happy Travels!

------------------
Never ask a question that you don't want to know the answer.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Then your newly earned status will not be active until when the following benefit year starts (March 1). This is the rules for Air Canada Aeroplan, not to every program.</font>
Thanks for the clarification, Empress ... as you have noted, this is quite unusual!

------------------
Vasant
Old Dec 28, 2002, 3:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i'm pretty sure that the aa program is like what mrlimo said. you do the thing during the calendar year [jan-dec] . the status is effective wnen the qual mi's or segs are posted [or soon after] & lasts thru the end of feb of the 2nd yr.

qual in 2002 & status is good thru 2/29/04

edit to add.... or, to reply to your question specifically... if you can do it in jan & feb 2003 , the status will be good thru 2/29/05.

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 12-28-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.