Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie: any FAQ about mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2002, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Newbie: any FAQ about mileage run?

Hello,

Just discovered this forum couple days ago and decided I want to try this mileage run thing with UA or DL. I read this forum and FAQs but I am still confuse a bit. Let me list my profile first:
1. I own DL Amex card with 60K miles and NO UA card yet.
2. I don't fly a lot, only when I am on vacation.
3. The reason I want to do this mileage run is to get awards and maybe upgrade.

Now my questions:
1. How to get the most mileage with the least amount of money (UA and DL).
2. Is it worth if I don't fly a lot? meaning I can only do mileage run to accumulate miles.

Thanks,
Sparky (newbie of the day)
Old Jan 6, 2002, 9:21 am

You may want to take a look at the following thread:

Mileage Run Primer

As to your question of whether it's worth it, that depends on a lot of variables. As for me, as a Silver Medallion on DL, I don't get a lot of upgrades flying out of ATL, but the priority check-in lines, the priority boarding, and the generally enhanced treatment makes it worth doing the occasional mileage run to maintain my status with DL.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 2:37 pm

Sparky,
I don't know about DLor UA but AA has some hidden benefits that you only find out about on threads here.
If you hit the first level of status you will be treated better --- or should I say the chances are you will be treated better.
If I may make a suggestion -- hit status and I assume DL has a phone line for it's members just like AA does -- find a person or two and stay with them. When you call ask for them by name. IT helps sometimes to get that extra little help.
Runs are fun -- I pay for all of my own flying and if you take the time to learn what's out there you can go to Europe pretty cheap now -- around $400 +/- which is a great way to build miles...then get the upgrades and all the goodies.
So yes. It's worth it.

------------------
TANSTAAFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the response and great link (mileage primer).

But I am not sure if the cost of mileage run is justified for people like me who only fly for vacation, no?

Last stupid question: How do you calculate total mileage for LAX-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX? Do you calculate the whole itin LAX-SIN or each leg? My next vacation is HNL and SIN and want to fly UA (Oct ~$700).

thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 8:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sparkzone:

Last stupid question: How do you calculate total mileage for LAX-HNL-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX? Do you calculate the whole itin LAX-SIN or each leg? My next vacation is HNL and SIN and want to fly UA (Oct ~$700).

thanks.
</font>
Generally, you calculate by totaling the miles for each segment. The one exception would be if you have a flight that stops in a city but there is no change of flight number. For instance, if you were to fly from El Paso through Atlanta to Albany on Flt. 1230, although you stop in ATL, because it is one flight number, your miles would be based on the distance between ELP and Albany.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 1:20 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
You could also, of course, visit my two websites, which might help you in planning your trip. Addresses below...

------------------
Please visit The Mileage Runner's Toolkit and Unofficial United Airlines Guide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.