Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO runs from SAN (LAX 2nd choice)?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2001, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

CO runs from SAN (LAX 2nd choice)?

Can you recommend any good milage runs on CO originating in SAN? I could drive up to LAX if it's really worth it.

Thanks,

FB
Old May 27, 2001, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
SNA or LAX to FLL on CO is frequently a great mileage run. Over 7,000 miles RT via EWR, and the fare is often in the $188 to $200 range. Right now, it's over $400, but keep an eye on it. It will drop again!

Right now I have a flight booked SNA-EWR-FLL-EWR-SNA...over 7,000 status miles for $196. These fares have been for SNA and LAX, but I wouldn't be surprised if SAN was included also. I just haven't been checking SAN.

The fares are high at the moment, but with the Memorial Day weekend, the fares are high almost everywhere. Just wait, and I'm sure fares will drop again. CO has to compete against WN in the FLL market, so fares are generally good.

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!
Old May 28, 2001, 12:03 am

You can still book LAX-MCI for 128+tax. I did two of those runs while the bonus bonanza was still on, however it is still a great value. You can book LAX-IAH-CLE-MCI-CLE-IAH-LAX, and there is no min. stay. You can also try to get LAX-CLE-IAH-MCI, but i'm not sure if it will work. It totals out to 139.50
Old May 28, 2001, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by SemiElite:
Right now I have a flight booked SNA-EWR-FLL-EWR-SNA...over 7,000 status miles for $196.
Using COOL, I can get a routing like the following:

SAN-EWR-FLL-EWR-SAN ($525 right now)

departing SAN 9:15PM, returning SAN 7:57PM next day. Is this actually valid? The fare rules state: "MIN STAY- RETURN AFTER 1 DAY AFTER DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN". (yeah- both "after"s are really in there)

I would rather not have to stay overnight during a run (probably not an uncommon thought), so the type of run where I keep moving is preferred. So this FLL run appeals to me because you arrive at FLL at 9:55AM next day and then at 12:45PM you're already heading back west. If you can really do that...

Thanks a lot.

FB

Old May 28, 2001, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by Pacha:
You can book LAX-IAH-CLE-MCI-CLE-IAH-LAX, and there is no min. stay.
I'm a novice- can you actually do this and "keep moving" (with no more than, say, a three hour wait anywhere), or do you have to cool your heels for a number of hours sleeping in the airport or motel?

THANKS

Old May 28, 2001, 12:17 pm

Yes, you can do this and keep moving. I did the MCI run with an overnight there(in a priceline Hotel for $21 each), but you can take the 1:30 red-eye to IAH and continue on from there and be back at LAX before midnight. You can ask KEN0000000 as he did it that way...
Old May 28, 2001, 10:24 pm
Original Member

Yup, I'm with Semielite on this one:

SAN/SNA/LAX to FLL can be very good. In fact it went as low as 169 total! (last fall with bonuses).

When SWest offers a fare sale, watch for them.

JL2
Old May 28, 2001, 11:32 pm

Another thought on the SAN/SNA/LAX to FLL mileage run. Sometimes you're given the choice of connecting at EWR or IAH. Each one has its own advantages. Flying via EWR adds over 2400 miles to the round trip. But, upgrade chances are significantly better connecting through IAH. Your call...miles or upgrades!

------------------
Old May 29, 2001, 12:15 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Fallout Boy:

Welcome to the board! Another Flyer Talker in San Diego... I just moved here in early May.

You don't always have to fly to the East Coast to get lots of miles on domestic trips... Northwest San Diego to San Antonio via MSP and AUS yields 1532+700+550=2787 miles one way.... right now, SAN-AUS is $100 RT on Delta and $158 on America West and United, but I have seen SAN-AUS and SAN-SAT go down to around $158RT on Northwest pretty often.

Remember that America West and Northwest flights count toward OnePass elite status.
Old May 31, 2001, 1:40 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally posted by Pacha:
You can still book LAX-MCI for 128+tax. [...] It totals out to 139.50
They yanked that fare last night. Now the best deal for LAX-MCI is $158+taxes/fees, and instead of 7 day adv purch, it's now 14 day adv purchase. Also, you have to travel Tue or Wed only. And June seems to be sold out. The only thing that improved is that there is now no min stay (the $128+taxes/fees had a 1 day min stay)

Old May 31, 2001, 9:03 pm

Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
Fallout Boy:

Welcome to the board! Another Flyer Talker in San Diego... I just moved here in early May.

You don't always have to fly to the East Coast to get lots of miles on domestic trips... Northwest San Diego to San Antonio via MSP and AUS yields 1532+700+550=2787 miles one way.... right now, SAN-AUS is $100 RT on Delta and $158 on America West and United, but I have seen SAN-AUS and SAN-SAT go down to around $158RT on Northwest pretty often.

Remember that America West and Northwest flights count toward OnePass elite status.
Viajero,

True, you get both CO status miles and elite bonus miles on NW, but you'll miss out on all the great bonus miles promos. The last of the promos concludes the end of June, so I'd stick to CO metal until then. After that, assuming no new promos appear, go for it!!!

------------------
Old May 31, 2001, 9:34 pm

Originally posted by falloutboy:
Using COOL, I can get a routing like the following:

SAN-EWR-FLL-EWR-SAN ($525 right now)

departing SAN 9:15PM, returning SAN 7:57PM next day. Is this actually valid? The fare rules state: "MIN STAY- RETURN AFTER 1 DAY AFTER DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN". (yeah- both "after"s are really in there)

I would rather not have to stay overnight during a run (probably not an uncommon thought), so the type of run where I keep moving is preferred. So this FLL run appeals to me because you arrive at FLL at 9:55AM next day and then at 12:45PM you're already heading back west. If you can really do that...

Thanks a lot.

FB

falloutboy,

First of all, wait awhile! For that route, a fare of $525 is outrageous! About a month ago, CO had a fare to FLL via IAH (fewer miles but better upgrade opportunities) for $188. I was about ready to book, when I suddenly discovered that the fare had risen to $350 overnight. I forgot that one, and booked a more reasonable flight to YYZ. After returning, I noticed the fare had dropped, and there were flights going through EWR, so I grabbed it. Just wait awhile, and the fare will be back down. Like JeffLewis2 said, as soon as Southwest has a fare sale (which is often), CO will drop their price.

Now, as to not wanting to spend a night in FLL, I really doubt if you can avoid it anyway. From the west coast, it's a heckuva long flight, especially when you figure in the connection time and the loss of three hours thru time zones. I leave at 7:45 A.M. from SNA, but I don't arrive in FLL until 9:52 P.M. Now, how could I reasonably expect to return that same night? Even if I could find a redeye to EWR, flights don't leave out of EWR at 3:00 A.M.

This is just my way of thinking on "mileage runs," others may not agree. But, if I'm spending two hundred or more bucks to go somewhere, I want to go somewhere worthwhile, and spend at least a minimal amount of time there. And, using Priceline for hotels and car rentals, you can keep costs down.

On this latest "mileage run," I leaving on Saturday, June 9 and returning on the following Tuesday. I've got a reservation at the Amerisuites in FLL for Sat. and Mon. nights for $35 a night, and then I'm driving down to Key West (car rental, $15 a day).

Key West is expensive in any case, and I'm gonna be staying Sunday night at what is arguably the best place there, the Sheraton Suites, on the only natural beach in Key West...for $85.

Priceline is awful for airline reservations, but it can't be beat for hotels and car rentals! And think about it, a mileage run, IMHO, should be more than just some numbers on your next OnePass statement!

I realize most people with jobs can't go running off for a week. But you can do a lot in a 3 or 4 day "long weekend," if you just plan efficiently.

------------------
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:08 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SemiElite:
First of all, wait awhile! For that route, a fare of $525 is outrageous! About a month ago, CO had a fare to FLL via IAH (fewer miles but better upgrade opportunities) for $188. </font>
Semi-
I wasn't considering that fare! That was just an FYI as to what I was currently seeing. Thanks to you and others for the helpful tips.

FB

[This message has been edited by falloutboy (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old Jun 2, 2001, 6:17 pm

Falloutboy.
PDX-SEA-DTW-FLL-MEM-MSP-PDX
I just hit FLL and turned around two hours later. No hotel, no worries no sleep!
RDY
Old Jun 2, 2001, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

So what does this actually mean:

FARE RULES TEXT
RETURN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 1 DAY AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Is 1 DAY 24 hours or a calendar day? Let's say you departed your home city on the 18th and arrived at your turnaround point (last stopover) at 1am on the 19th. By the above rules, would it be truly legit to start the trip back home at 6am on the 19th?

Or am I making too big a deal out of this? I suppose I might assume that if the Continental online system will book it, it's a legit fare? Good assumption, or am I making an ... out of U and ME?

FB

[This message has been edited by falloutboy (edited 06-02-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.