CO runs from SAN (LAX 2nd choice)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO runs from SAN (LAX 2nd choice)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2001, 5:51 am
Original Member

one day is not a full 24hr period. Essentially it is one "night" as in crossing over so that the return is listed the next day. I've done plenty of these, always taking the redeye and returning late morning the next day. Never a problem, at least on NW/CO.

JL2
Old Jun 3, 2001, 5:52 am
Original Member

one day is not a full 24hr period. Essentially it is one "night" as in crossing over so that the return is listed the next day. I've done plenty of these, always taking the redeye and returning late morning the next day. Never a problem, at least on NW/CO.

JL2
Old Jun 3, 2001, 11:20 am

JL2 is correct. I just got back from a mileage run May 22-23. NW from PDX-SEA-DTW-FLL-MEM-MSP-PDX. Left PDX late in the evening of the 22nd. Redeye from SEA to DTW. Arrived DTW the morning of the 23rd. Continued on to FLL with about a two hour turnaround to MEM-MSP-PDX.

The beauty of this type of run (if mileage is strictly what you are after) is that you don't have to spend any money on a hotel room. For those of you worried about lack of sleep flying a redeye, I have always had great luck on upgrades to F on the redeyes as the loads tend to be much lighter. Take care.

CS
Old Jun 3, 2001, 12:04 pm

ChinaShark,
Did you manage an upgrade from your ticket class SEA-DTW. With miles or U/Cert? I thought only full Y was upgradeable.
Thanks.
(I am doing pdx-dtw-mem-dfw-msp-pdx next month $123.00 + tax)
RDY
Old Jun 3, 2001, 9:45 pm

RDY,

Great price for your run. I used an upgrade certificate. It's allowed for fares other than Y but the problem is you have to wait until the day of departure to check/request the upgrade. I just called at 9:01pm PST and they said they could give me the SEA-DTW and FLL-MEM upgrade only as that was all available by than. If you had a Y fare, you could get your upgrade (if available) at time of ticketing.

Funny thing on my run though was that I never had to use the cert. I checked-in in PDX at the Horizon ticket counter for the PDX-SEA leg. I asked if they could ticket me on the NW legs all the way to FLL. Agent said "let's see". Well guess what, the tickets for PDX-SEA-DTW-FLL-MEM come printing out. I guess during our chatting she failed to notice that she needed to take my certificate. I didn't say anything thinking they would ask for it upon boarding in SEA. Nope, went right in when they called for F seating and sat down in F. Same thing in FLL. So now I still have those certs and looking to use them again.

I guess it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. Have a great run.

CS
Old Jun 4, 2001, 2:11 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I have taken the SAN-EWR-FLL-EWR-SAN trip recently and marveled at how long it seemed.

Tonite, I made tenative reservations for SAN-EWR-HKG-EWR-SAN. Now that might be more tortuous! But it may lead to Platinum!

Old Jun 6, 2001, 3:00 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Midway has a $189 RT LAX--RDU--MIA fare now and CO is offering double miles. It's not as good as the AMEX business, but still it's not bad for a transcon trip. The double miles are in addition to Elite bonuses, so a Gold could net around 18000: 6000 base + 6000 Gold bonus + 6000 Midway Airlines bonus for $189 plus tax.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
Midway has a $189 RT LAX--RDU--MIA fare now and CO is offering double miles. It's not as good as the AMEX business, but still it's not bad for a transcon trip. The double miles are in addition to Elite bonuses, so a Gold could net around 18000: 6000 base + 6000 Gold bonus + 6000 Midway Airlines bonus for $189 plus tax.</font>
Yep, but Midway doesn't offer free upgrades for CO Elites. And that's a lot of time to be sitting in Coach! Midway may have leather seats, but they're still the usual miserable Coach seating.

Considering that it's not normally that hard to find 5-7,000 mile CO domestic flights in the $170 to $250 range, I think I'll wait until prices drop, and then fly upgradeable CO metal.

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!
Old Jun 8, 2001, 4:16 pm
Original Member

For an elite member I must underscore the beauty of this route. Rather than take an international trip at the same/more price per mile, I'd prefer getting a first class upgrade on a loong domestic run.

When fall comes, I'll be ready.

JL2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.