The Alaska "Milk Run" - $126.69

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2001, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.

It begins and ends on Jun 9. It's a total of 4706 miles and is $126.69 with all taxes included. The routing is:

Anchorage-Seattle-Ketchikan-Wrangell-Petersburg-Juneau.

Spend 4 hours in Juneau.

Do the same flight in reverse.

The legs break down (each way) as follows:

ANC-SEA 1440mi.
SEA-KTN 676mi.
KTN-WRG 83mi.
WRG-PSG 31mi.
PSG-JNU 123 mi.

Should be fun! I'll try to post a trip report on Sunday.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 8:27 pm

Greetings Eastwest,

Is this on Alaska Airlines (AS)? Can't recall if this was on their route map, but it sure looked good, (good = short hops). If it is AS, hope you got one of those MVP certs so you get COS bonuses, especially if you book it under AAdvantage. Good luck, and wave to the polar bears for me.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 8:58 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Owww, my aching
Old Jun 5, 2001, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Crankyusi -
Yes, the flights are all on AS. I am using the mileage toward my OnePass account with CO though.

The flights are rather full so I am going to go down to the airport tonight and see if I can get Emergency Exit rows assigned to me.

I would also prefer to get windows as this will probably be a pretty scenic flight. I wonder how low a 737 flies when it only has a 31 mile flight?!

Boilermaker -
It won't be too bad! I get to stop and get off the plane several times throughout the trip!

Old Jun 5, 2001, 10:07 pm

Flying in a jet versus a prop makes a world of difference, even if its only for a 31 mile flight. And after experiencing the Baht Run, stretching your legs every now and then makes a run much more bearable than staying in a plane the same amount of time. I wish I could join you. How did you find the great fare, especially with no overnite stay required?(maybe its waived because I heard that sometimes during the year the sun never sets up North, thus there is no nite?-- cheap joke). Was this a web special or standard?
Old Jun 5, 2001, 10:44 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Sweet!
Old Jun 5, 2001, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
4,706 miles is "just" the sum of the legs. Is there a way to book it so that you take advantage of the Onepass 500 miles per flight minimum?
Old Jun 5, 2001, 11:21 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Your "milk run" will be on a unique piece of flying equipment: a Boeing 737-200 combi. I don't believe any other airline in the USA flies one. The forward half of your plane will be filled with cargo containers. Here's apicture if you are curious: http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=142329

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old Jun 6, 2001, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Hagbard,
I believe that the 500 mile minimum does not apply for OnePass credit on AS flights. Besides, this whole trip will actually only be considered 4 segments as the SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU legs are all on the same plane and have the same flight number.

Mileage Addict,
Thanks for the ultra cool link. I am starting to really look forward to this. . .
Old Jun 6, 2001, 9:23 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by eastwest:

this whole trip will actually only be considered 4 segments as the SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU legs are all on the same plane and have the same flight number.</font>
Oh, oh! I see a potential problem here, now. Since the flight number is the same, but you are using a thru fare, the possiblity may exist for CO to deny credit for the 4 segs and only credit you with one.

Reason: the flight number does not change even tho you presummably have separate coupons.

Can we assume here that you bought your tkt from a travel agent and they forced these cxns? Usually when a T/A attempts to do this,
there will be a computer response saying something to the effect of, 'Combine previous segments into one.'

Because Page 3 of the membership guide does not specifically address this 'same flight issue' to my satisfaction, I called OP for clarification - three times. All agents stated that only one segment would be due. Being an FTer and having done a mileage run or two myself, I was unhappy with this response, so I then called CO HQ. Again, I received the same response: only one segment of credit should be due.

Because it appears that you will have separate coupons for all of these segments, I am skeptical as to whether or not the computer will catch it, but if it does, at least you were forewarned.

In this case, I am fairly confident that you will receive credit as planned. However, you might want to check with CO yourself, to see if you can come up with a definitive answer - compatible with your plans.

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old Jun 6, 2001, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
tvl4free,

I think eastwest and you are saying the same thing, the 4 segments counting will be ANC-SEA + SEA-JNU + JNU-SEA + SEA-ANC. What I was curious of was if it is possible to book the same trip using different flights so that each of the short segments gives the 500 miles minimum, which applies also to flights on AS if I understand the Onepass rules correctly. Perhaps there aren't enough flights in a day to make it feasible?
Old Jun 6, 2001, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Hagbard Viking:
I think eastwest and you are saying the same thing, the 4 segments counting will be ANC-SEA + SEA-JNU + JNU-SEA + SEA-ANC. What I was curious of was if it is possible to book the same trip using different flights so that each of the short segments gives the 500 miles minimum, which applies also to flights on AS if I understand the Onepass rules correctly. Perhaps there aren't enough flights in a day to make it feasible?</font>
Actually, eastwest you are flying the southern milk run there is also the northern milk run that goes Seattle-Juneau-Yakutat-Cordova-Anchorage. On rare occasions on a milk run I've been able to get credit with Alaska for more than one leg. That has always been the exception. After you've had to endure the milk run a few times you learn to avoid it like the plague.
You're also missing Sitka. The restaurant at the airport there has great pie. I'm working at least part of the day saturday but if you want to email me we might be able to get together for a beer or something.
jerry
Old Jun 6, 2001, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

I went down to the airport today and requested an emergency exit window seat. I got one for the whole trip.

The CS person advised that the "milk run" was scheduled for a 737-400 both ways. I expressed disappointment and said that I wanted to fly on the combi. She said that it may be substituted depending on the load (cargo vs. SLF).

--I wonder if that could increase "bump" opportunities? Anyone have any experience with this scenario?--

My disappointment is somewhat mitigated by the fact that my SEA-ANC leg will be on the 737-900.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 2:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I agree too..perhaps you can break it up and get seperate tickets for all legs, but that could get a tad pricy. I love your run and please keep us posted!

------------------
MRKEY
Old Jun 7, 2001, 4:49 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by eastwest:
Hagbard,
I believe that the 500 mile minimum does not apply for OnePass credit on AS flights. Besides, this whole trip will actually only be considered 4 segments as the SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU legs are all on the same plane and have the same flight number.

Mileage Addict,
Thanks for the ultra cool link. I am starting to really look forward to this. . .
</font>
I can confirm this is ONE segment as far as onepass is concerned. I have flown this "combo" flight. (you know I fly everywhere domestically ). The cool part is you enter from the rear of the plane. The cargo is up front!!! There is a door in the panel midcabin, the FA can "dissapear" and sit up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.