Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Mileage Run & Beach Resort in Thailand (help)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2001, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat

Having planed a mileage run and partial vacation to Manila from JFK, I previously poised the following question of the FT community. Being based out of Manila, which place, Thailand or Hong Kong, would make for a great side trip. The answer was overwhelmingly Bangkok. I was leaning toward Hong Kong as my wife, who is a bit conservative, felt more comfortable about it. However, I just read a news release that sited the abduction of 20 tourists from a Philippine beach resort. It is believed the tourist were abducted by the Abu Sayyaf, an extremist Muslim group who has done this sort of thing in the past. Now I understand that the chances of being abducted are slim to none – I still would rather not be a major character in a situation that mimicked the movie “Proof of Life.”

If any of you could help me find an alternative itinerary for Bangkok and a beach resort in Thailand it would be very much appreciated. (Plus if you need info or help during the upcoming Olympics – I’d be more than willing to help). I am not looking to spend more than 150 to 200 per day at a resort. We’ll be there, most likely, from June 18 to the 25th.

Thanks,

SLC2002

[This message has been edited by SLC2002 (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old May 28, 2001, 4:05 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Your wife must become more informed about these two destinations. One visit will convince her, that she might be closer to pardise, then anywhere else.

I made a return trip to Manila in 95 and was shocked to see what had happened to it from the previous visit in 75! It was not a pretty sight, which I will not go into.

I was forwarned by the driver of which areas to stay out of because of dangerous conditions. THere were guards all over the Sheraton and it was very worn. So I moved to the Shangri-La for a better mood. Things had not gotten better after Marcos. I hope they have improved, since I was there.

I have made over 12 trips to Thailand and several to other Asian destinations. Thailand has ONLY improved in the last 10 years. Never have I felt unsafe anywhere ! walked day or nite. Even with the Baht crises a couple of years ago, the people were their usual gracious selfs. In fact, they seem very happy, since tourists are bigger spenders.

------------------
Don't let what you are being get in the way of what you might become.
Old May 28, 2001, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
I wholeheartedly agree with ROADRUNNER
Bangkok and Thailand would be your best bet. There are a number of beautiful beach resorts The most crowded is Phuket from where you can go to Phi Phi island. Koh Samui is another nice place . June to August is very humid and hot and best season is October onwards.
You have to isolate the sleaze which is inevitable and can easily be avoided. Enjoy
You and your wife must try traditional thai massage; after a long flight it is very relaxing
Old May 28, 2001, 2:11 pm

Make your wife feel like ROYALTY in Thailand and take her to HUA HIN, a 2-3+ hour ride out of Bangkok. A quiet beach resort, where the Royal family has a 'cottage'! Unlike Pattaya or Phuket. Easy access and the same wonderful Thai people.

Your wife will thank you for ever.
Old May 28, 2001, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It's the wrong hotel loyalty programme for you but the Hilton Hua Hin has rates of as low as USD 57 / night.
Old May 28, 2001, 3:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I really emjoyed Phi Phi Island even though it was crowded..I found it to be the Perfect Beach.

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 28, 2001, 4:29 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Consider Penang Island, just at the northern end of Malaysia, just over the Thai border. My wife and I were at the Rasa Sayang resort 2 weeks ago and loved it. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001798.html

Rates are as low as $96US/night. See:
http://www.shangri-la.com/eng/hotel/...ocation=penang

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old May 28, 2001, 7:13 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I have empathy for you trying to do a mileage run and also consider your wife's concerns. I persuaded my wife to accompany me on one mileage run when it involved Canada, England, Spain, and the Netherlands. She wouldn't even consider traveling to South America last year for the LatinPass run.
I just got back a couple of hours ago from Singapore. My first trip to Asia. And, you might have guessed, a mileage run. You might consider Singapore if your wife's apprehensions are a primary concern. I haven't been to Thailand so I can't give a comparison with Singapore in terms of providing a "conservative" side trip. Having just returned from Singapore on a trip without my wife I am convinced my wife would really enjoy Singapore for the shopping and the feeling of being in a different (but not very different)and totally safe-feeling culture -- really safe and familiar for an American tourist. I felt Singapore was like many big American cities with familiar restaurants, stores, and hotels, but much cleaner, very safe-feeling, and quite accommodating to tourists.
If your goal is a beach resort then you probably don't want Singapore, although I did hear much praise for the Shangri-la resorts and water parks on Sentosa Island in Singapore. However, if your wife wants to shop and be in a Disneyland safe-type environment, with loads of shopping malls that rival any in the States, then you might consider Singapore. The hotels are more expensive than Thailand and the beach of Sentosa probably doesn't compare to Thailand from what I hear, but outside of the hotel expense, everything else seemed a pretty good deal by American standards. I give my wholehearted recommendation to any tourist wanting to visit Asia, but not wanting to be out of a familiar setting.
Old May 28, 2001, 11:55 pm

There's a big convention in Singapore the week beginning June 17 and discount hotel rates are embargoed.

Luxury hotel rates are $50-$100 per night on Phuket in June. The heavy seasonal rains started a week ago, though the sun is shining today.

Old May 28, 2001, 11:56 pm

There's a big convention in Singapore the week beginning June 17 and discount hotel rates are embargoed.

Luxury hotel rates are $50-$100 per night on Phuket in June. The heavy seasonal rains started a week ago, though the sun is shining today.

Old May 29, 2001, 1:55 am

Yes Singapore is like NY or Chicago downtowns. Sentosa is a city park for the locals and not all that much to recommend it. The ZOO is the outstanding place to visit after you have seen the San Diego ZOO and ANIMAL PARK. But why travel that far to be in a place like home with safety.
Old May 29, 2001, 10:42 am

My wife and I visited Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Penang last May. All are good, but if you have to visit one, I would recommend Koh Samui. The beach in Penang is not as nice as the beaches in Hua Hin and on Koh Samui (in general in that region, people say the East Coast/Gulf of Thailand beaches are better). However, Penang has interesting cultural/historical sights, and many more people speak English there in Malaysia. Hua Hin's beach isn't that great, and there are a few too many Germans visiting for non-family-oriented entertainment for my taste, but it has a nice small, fishing and beach town kind of feel, and very close to Bangkok.

Koh Samui has the best beach and is probably were someone concerned about security would feel most at ease. (Naysayers would say it's a bit "Americanized", but it's still pretty clear you're in Thailand.)

I recommend the Central Samui Resort (Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui). It's a good combination of self-contained luxury resort and on-the-main drag location, and it's very affordable.
http://www.centralhotelsresorts.com/...ach/index.html
Old May 29, 2001, 11:50 am

Spend a night at the Peninsula Bangkok. One of the world's great bargains, an unbelievable hotel experience at an affordable price. They'll take you on their boat across the river directly to the SkyTrain station. See Bangkok from above for pennies. Shop at Siam Square.

Then fly TG to Phuket in First Class for $60. Pick one of the 747 flights. Don't stay at a resort or you'll feel stuck. Try a nice new hotel in Patong like the Salathai. Half a block from a beach, a suite for $70.

Take a day trip to Ko Phi Phi for $30.

Get someone to drive you to the point for a golden sunset. The next day have dinner at Baan Rim Pa.

------------------
"Blue days, all of them gone, nothin' but blue skies from now on"
Old May 29, 2001, 11:52 am

If you don't want to bother with Bangkok, fly to Singapore, then catch TG directly to Phuket. Two flights daily each way.
Old May 29, 2001, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
It is becoming apparent that nine days in Thailand is not going to be enough time to "really" enjoy all it has to offer. We happened upon a great website that provided us more than enough resorts and hotels (www.sawadee.com) to choose from.

So far, this is what we are thinking of doing (unless any FTers convince us otherwise). Arrive Bangkok Sunday night; spend three nights at the Peninsula, then travel to Rayong and stay at the island resort of Ao Prao (on the island of Samed).

We did look at Hua Hin, Koh Samui, and Ko Phi Phi Don -- each of which looked beautiful!!! We got the Lonely Planet guidebook that gave a general impression of each place mentioned. We are looking for a more secluded island that doesn’t have the bars/discos, etc.. And that is when we found Samed off the cost near Rayong. It's a tad expensive (comparatively speaking) 160.00/night but it looks more secluded than the other places mentioned and there is a town with numerous shops and restaurants on the other side of the island. So unless we hear otherwise – we plan to stay there to enjoy the beaches.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

SLC2002

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.