Old May 25, 2001, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Mileage runs are illegal!

That is what I learned on CNNFN, today!
Old May 25, 2001, 1:04 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I don't suppose you could provide a little more detail ... why are they illegal maybe?
Old May 25, 2001, 1:21 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
As per the long-running threads on the Delta board, some frequent flyer programs dis-allow miles earned solely for the sake of earning miles.

This was *not* the story from the UA chaps when they were online several weeks ago. When asked directly, they encouraged mileage runs. It's a pretty loyal customer who flys halfway around the world and sits on 100 segments in ten days just for a piece of plastic and a few perks.

Personally, if you're up on aircraft types, ATC, whatever, I would simply adopt the stance that I was flying because I loved to fly and wanted to experience as many different routes/airports/aircraft as possible for the lowest fare within their rule structure. Or I enjoy the take-off/landing portion of ATC, so try to get flights that incorporate a lot of take-offs and landings.

I frequently fly from (DESTINATION) to BWI via IAD. Three reasons for this -- fares are lower as it is a more competitive routing; I acquire 500 miles for an 18 minute segment; and I enjoy the low flight over the nation's capital and watching the cockpit operations.

It might make me sad but I haven't broken any ticketing rules.

Old May 25, 2001, 2:00 pm

Programs: United
Matthew:

You are right. In fact, I was the person who asked the United folks on the Livechat about the legality/illegality of mileage runs. Their response was that, as long as it was within their rules, have at it. They followed up by saying they love loyal customers. That tells me that they're not going to change anytime soon. And they shouldn't. It is somewhat cost effective for me to do the mileage runs I do, but in the long run, it keeps me intensely loyal to my airline of choice. And that means that when I have to buy a last minute ticket from ORD to LAX, paying $1800 (actually, my company pays it), I make sure to fly my airline of choice. Everybody wins.
Old May 25, 2001, 2:17 pm

If the airline has willingly sold you a ticket with a mutually agreed-upon fare, origin, destination, routing, departure date and return date, the "sole purpose" of the trip is none of their business.
Old May 25, 2001, 2:24 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/05/25/news/v_travel_miles/

It doesn't say anything about mileage runs being "illegal"--in fact, it seems to encourage them. What were you watching?
Old May 25, 2001, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Did you see the way the announcer smiled when she said Mileage Run. I bet she's one of us.

Dan
Old May 25, 2001, 2:43 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
He must be watching CNNFN in a hotel somewhere, jetlagged, drifting in and out of sleep and caught just a snippet of the story between the "CNN can be found in these partner hotels" ads.

Happens to the best of us!
Old May 25, 2001, 2:47 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally posted by MatthewClement:
As per the long-running threads on the Delta board, some frequent flyer programs dis-allow miles earned solely for the sake of earning miles.
No, that is not what DL's rules are. Their rules are excessive connections solely for earning segments/miles are not allowed, which is different than earning miles solely for earning miles. You can take a trip solely for earning miles on Delta, you just can't connect five times between DCA and FLL to do it.

BTW, the Baht Run would not be illegal under DL's rules, because that does not involve excessive connections.
Old May 25, 2001, 2:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
I almost had a heart attack
Old May 25, 2001, 3:54 pm
Original Member

Illegal? Show where someone has been arrested for going on "one too many flights". Bizarre...
Old May 25, 2001, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I flew Boston-Paris on AA via Chicago several months back in order to meet a colleague in Chicago so we could fly over together. The extra miles were a side benefit.

Remembering that the AA res agent never asked me why I wanted to take the longer route, I just booked it (to London) next time. That agent asked. I replied honestly: "I'd like the miles and I have the time." "Fine with me, sir" was the reply.

DL may be different, but DL is different in a lot of ways.
Old May 25, 2001, 5:07 pm

Originally posted by Tino:
Illegal? Show where someone has been arrested for going on "one too many flights". Bizarre...
Hush yourself! You may give Delta's RPU ideas!
Old May 25, 2001, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Last week on my PHX-SAN-PHX segment run on UA, the RCC agent said to me, "I thought people didn't do mileage runs until December!"

"I like to get ahead of the crowd" I replied.
Old May 25, 2001, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
am i supposed to know all fare rules, etc[both airline and congress]? the on line booking should not require me to not take something that was accepted. i'm not talking about $ 0 stuff. what do you think? is booking o/l illeagle re this thread if it comes up w/ whatever? my definition of a mileage run is that you get off a plane & get on another until you get home. some may require a hotel because of skeds. going to x for a long weekend primarily beause you need the miles is a good idea and perhaps a sort of mileage run, but probably the best kind to do .

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 05-25-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.