Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage runs are illegal!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2001, 7:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
another thought. i havent found any way to buy a ticket for a mileage run, turn it in & forgo any refund but not have to go. there is some minor cost saving to the a/l, but i think in the great scheme of things, that would make ff progs rediculous. this has probably been aired before. keep on making mileage runs!
Old May 25, 2001, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Common' guys, lets get real... illegal...? How will a carrier be able to prove that any given trip is being done solely for the accrual of mileage... (???)
Old May 26, 2001, 12:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
GAUCHO100K
You are absolutely right. No body can ever prove that you are flying to only accumulate miles. I love airline food, I like their toilets and I like the seats better than my own at home.
Old May 26, 2001, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I am practicing my speech now. "I am going from Houston to Jackson MS via Cincinnati, just so I can pick up a bowl of Cincy chili spaghetti. It is a fixation of mine. Oh yes, I also like to read the Cincinnati newspaper, and it is hard to find in Jackson."
Old May 26, 2001, 7:57 am
Suspended

I never make mileage runs but like Watchful does I frequently make food runs, Fish and chips in the UK, French onion soup at CDG, .......
Old May 26, 2001, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Well What about sight seeing of FAs, entertainment, love of flying, radiation exposure addiction, smoke free location addiction, well running out of original ideas
Old May 27, 2001, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Oh, I thought you liked delayed flights, cancelled flights, reroutings, and obnoxious co passengers. How which is it?

Old May 27, 2001, 7:32 am

And getting bumped off flights
Old May 27, 2001, 8:44 am

What about airline inflight magazines, skymall, inflight satellite telephones?
Old May 27, 2001, 10:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by dogcanyon:
If the airline has willingly sold you a ticket with a mutually agreed-upon fare, origin, destination, routing, departure date and return date, the "sole purpose" of the trip is none of their business.
RIGHT ON dogcanyon!!

It was refreshing to see United's Brass discuss how they do not have a problem w/Mileage runs.

Old May 27, 2001, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Common' guys, lets get real... illegal...? How will a carrier be able to prove that any given trip is being done solely for the accrual of mileage... (???)
I couldn't agree more! Just what exactly is a "mileage run"? If I never leave the airport and board the next flight out, I guess that's a "mileage run."

But I never do that! I always feel that if I'm going someplace worth going to, I want to stick around for at least a minimal amount of time to see things. I went to HKG for three days in March on a mega-mileage run, but I saw a lot and did a lot in those three days! And I had a ball!

I'm leaving on a mileage run SNA-EWR-FLL on June 9. But, I'm going to be there 3 days, renting a car and driving to Key West. So, is that a mileage run? It is, because I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't gotten a great fare ($196) for the amount of miles travelled (7,000).

Yet, is that much different from the Disney flyer who's looking for a bargain fare? I really don't think so...only a matter of degrees. And what degree of motivation does it require before it becomes a "mileage run"? The airlines, who can't figure out where your luggage is, are going to figure out whether you're taking a "mileage run" or not??? I don't think so!!!

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!
Old May 28, 2001, 12:51 am

Originally posted by dhammer53:
Did you see the way the announcer smiled when she said Mileage Run. I bet she's one of us. Dan
She could be, hammer.

Nice plug for Randy as well.

:-)

Old May 28, 2001, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Matthew, Sorry that you drift in and out in a daze at foreign hotels.

I saw the NEW report discussed on CNNfn and the item was in a list referred to by a travel "expert"! They read the list one by one.

There was no mistaking the content of that news information for I was at my most intense awareness!
Old May 28, 2001, 2:47 pm

Flew FLL-ATL-LGA for the extra miles, and the fact I got to fly in a 767-400... so Delta would only give me the miles if i actually flew FLL-LGA nonstop??!!??

Anyway, I love doing mileage runs when i'm actually paying for a ticket. Especially with Consolidator tickets. I was able to book SFO-MSY-ORD-IAD-AMS one time on United :-)
Old May 28, 2001, 4:13 pm

Originally posted by Watchful:
I am practicing my speech now. "I am going from Houston to Jackson MS via Cincinnati, just so I can pick up a bowl of Cincy chili spaghetti. It is a fixation of mine. Oh yes, I also like to read the Cincinnati newspaper, and it is hard to find in Jackson."

Subsitute Graeter's Ice Cream instead of chili and you have the reason that I have routed myself at least twice thru CVG and gotten a rental car to enjoy this regional treat (it gives Ben and Jerry's and Haagen Daz a run for their money).

For further info: http://www.graeters.com/

[This message has been edited by hackensacknj (edited 05-28-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.