Any creative ideas for YYZ - BOS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2001, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver

Firstly I want to thank you all for creating an excellent community that I happened to stumble upon in an article in the "Globe and Mail" newspaper.

I'm going YYZ - BOS in March (need less than 24 hours in BOS) so I was wondering if it is possible to be creative and rack up some miles using some MHD scheme or a varant thereof. Maximum miles - minimum bucks! I have a NW/CO $100 off certificate that I wouldn't mind using as well.

BTW - what is the best website for playing around with allowable routings and prices etc?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Roar
Old Jan 4, 2001, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
What would the price of the "uncreative" ticket be? Are you currently staying over a Saturday night?

One approach is to fly YYZ-BOS-Europe-YYZ and take the weekend off. You're allowed 24 hours in BOS, so you wouldn't have to pay a stopover fee. With the inevitable fare sale that will come along in January, I bet you can do this for $350-$450. If you flew NW across to AMS, you could even save your $100.

The problem flying CO would be that I doubt you'd be allowed to go through Newark twice on your way east. Flying AA, US, or UA+AC would work, or maybe CO/NW YYZ-EWR-BOS-AMS.

[This message has been edited by ElmhurstNick (edited 01-04-2001).]
Old Jan 4, 2001, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Thanks for a quick reply!

I can get a same-day return non-stop flight on AC for US$230, so that's kind of a benchmark. However, it's only 1000 miles on an airline that I seldom use. Anything in the North American time zones by any chance?

Thanks again!

------------------
Roar
Old Jan 4, 2001, 10:53 pm

The article in Globe and Mail about the Mexican route is on business travel. The domestic flight (eg, Halifax to Edmonton) will run a few thousands dollars on direct flight but drop by a few hundred dollars if a foreign stopover point is introduced.

It will not work for cheap domestic or North American flight that is less than $1000. Well, if you want to collect more miles, ask your travel agent to add more stopping cities in between. There are certain transfer cities allowed without extra charges on fare... so you might fly Toronto-Montreal-Chicago-New York-Boston. You will not get a better fare but you get more mileage.
Old Jan 5, 2001, 4:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
There is a $670 CAD (plus tax= $764?) routing from YUL (unfortunately not YYZ) on DL to Cancun that allows stopovers in BOS. 7 day advance purchase and minimum 3 day stay (BOS or CUN or combination) if you want a mini Mexican vacation or can stay longer in BOS. Just need to get to YUL.

There are $600 CAD fares from YYZ-MEX on DL that supposedly allow BOS stopovers but require a Saturday night stay. 3 day minimum no Saturday stays start at $755. There are $479 DL fares YYZ-BOS-MEX but require 7 day stay! Slightly more to CUN (starting at $710 requires 3 day or Sat stay).

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-05-2001).]
Old Jan 5, 2001, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys,

Yes, I suppose if you pay more for the miles than what you can redeem them for in terms of the ratio of extra price/extra miles in a mileage run it's a silly thing to do...

Is there any way I can use any of the travel websites (Travelocity?) to find out which cities are allowable for transfer on a certain ticket?

Thanks again,

------------------
Roar
Old Jan 5, 2001, 7:20 am

Most sites such as Expedia and ITN.com will have fare rules displayed. Choose the complete fare rule option and one of the paragraph will tell you these allowable cities. Sometimes they are hard to understand though... If you know a travel agent well, you can print that out and discuss this with them. They usually know what is allowed from the past ticketing experience.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally posted by RoarAhead:
I can get a same-day return non-stop flight on AC for US$230, so that's kind of a benchmark. However, it's only 1000 miles on an airline that I seldom use.
Air Canada is a Star Alliance partner, so you can have your miles credited to any Star Alliance airline (e.g., United).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.