Wiki Posts
Search

AS: JFK-???-KOA - $343 r/t

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
AS: JFK-???-KOA - $343 r/t

Alaska Airlines is having a BOGO sale for all flights to/from Kona, HI (KOA). This excludes Prudhoe Bay (SCC) and Latin America. While it states that it requires two travelers, it provides 50% off even for one traveler.

Out of JFK you can connect via SAN or SEA both ways, but generally you will return via SAN.

I booked JFK-SAN-KOA-SAN-JFK (with overnights in SAN on the outbound and KOA, short turn on the return) for $343.30, netting 3.44 cpm (a rate I haven't seen in a long time!); JFK-SEA-SAN-SEA-JFK was available for $343.61 and is a little over 100 miles extra (closer to 3.43 cpm).

Here are the important rules:

When you book, use the discount code KONABOGO.
  • Book your tickets by July 25, 2023 at 11:59 pm PT.
  • This BOGO is good for travel between August 13, 2023 and October 31, 2023.
  • Travel is valid from Kona Tuesdays through Fridays.
  • Travel is valid from the contiguous US Sundays through Wednesdays.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...rodID:FareSale

-J.
yuel, mlbcard, Repooc17 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks, OP! Booked! Now here is hoping the upgrades come through!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Already doing a SJC-KOA 1.5x run. Let's keep going!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I just had an idea. I'm already planning an Alaska trip later this year (via SAN one way for the miles), and was expecting to do a SFO turn at some point to bridge the gap to MVPG. It may be more prudent to just skip SFO, do KOA again, and take a more direct routing for Alaska. I estimate I would net about $50 in savings (and have a lot more time in my favorite state ). Something for me to do today.

-J.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
Now I wish I had stocked up on some of those discounted AS gift cards at Costco...
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Jayz_004
Now I wish I had stocked up on some of those discounted AS gift cards at Costco...
I just saw an ad for them yesterday, $449. Not sure if online, or in store only.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I just saw an ad for them yesterday, $449. Not sure if online, or in store only.
Here's the link: https://www.costco.com/alaska-airlin...100702109.html

I don't have a Costco membership. If anyone wants to help me get me one of these, I can PM you my info

-J.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Can't make a roundtrip work due to other trips and commitments.

My best solution:

Old
NYC-SFO (with another carrier)
SFO-SJC (by train)
SJC-KOA-SJC-KOA (previous AS fare sale)
KOA-LAX-NYC (with another carrier)

New
NYC-SFO (with another carrier)
SFO-SJC (by train)
SJC-KOA-SJC-KOA (previous AS fare sale)
KOA-SAN-NYC (changed to AS)

Not the best CPM, slightly above 5 in main cabin, but adding another 5K BIS miles will make do.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Fare (rather code) gone now but I did pick up a pair of visits ex-FAI for next month. We'll see what I'm able to fly...

AS, I wouldn't mind a few more of these specials
Old Sep 16, 2023, 10:41 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
I assume LFs to KOA were especially low and AS was stimulating bookings. Is Kona substantially less trafficked in the late summer and early autumn than the other islands? Or was there too much capacity? (Sometimes UA runs a daily 777 there.)
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My KOA trip was last week. SAN-KOA was pretty full. KOA-SAN wasn't empty but wasn't as full as the outbound. I did get upgraded on both flights.

FWIW JFK-SAN had two open seats, one of which was a no-show in F SAN-JFK was practically empty.

I am so pleased that they had this deal. Hawaii was not in my plans this year and this enabled me to go, and I had a wonderful time. I used to gloss over any Hawaii sales, but in the future I will seriously consider them.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 17, 2023 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
My KOA trip was last week. SAN-KOA was pretty full. KOA-SAN wasn't empty but wasn't as full as the outbound. I did get upgraded on both flights.

FWIW JFK-SAN had two open seats, one of which was a no-show in F SAN-JFK was practically empty.

I am so pleased that they had this deal. Hawaii was not in my plans this year and this enabled me to go, and I had a wonderful time. I used to gloss over any Hawaii sales, but in the future I will seriously consider them.

-J.
Hear hear!

And I hope they do it again, but I absolutely do not expect it. I suppose they did that Maui one, but I didn't leap quickly enough. Also, it wasn't as good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.