Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:36 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
MR plan for 2020 need advice

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Follow the instructions in the wiki and post your answers to this thread.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
Ewele and pdxkat like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Departure Airport: JFK, LGA, EWR (from 1/3 through 1/17)... after that AMS
Miles Needed: 12,500 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $0 required, budget under $800
Available Travel Dates: through 1/31/19
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta and its airline partners OK

Doing a status challenge for Delta Gold. I have an MQD waiver bc I live abroad. So just need to hit the MQMs.

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MissMiles
Departure Airport: JFK, LGA, EWR (from 1/3 through 1/17)... after that AMS
Miles Needed: 12,500 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $0 required, budget under $800
Available Travel Dates: through 1/31/19
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta and its airline partners OK

Doing a status challenge for Delta Gold. I have an MQD waiver bc I live abroad. So just need to hit the MQMs.

Thanks so much!
Jan. 13, JFK-OGG, $576 (BE), about 10,100 MQMs (routing: JFK-SLC-SEA-OGG-LAX-JFK), 5.5 hours in OGG, get back to JFK afternoon of Jan. 14
Jan. 15, JFK-DEN, $238 (BE), about 3,200 MQMs, 1 hour in DEN
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
MR plan for 2020 need advice

I am local to both (bus) IAD/DCA/BWI and (home) SFO/LAX and will start MR from there.
With no status, I will schedule 10-14 trips between east-west and 1 Greek trip this year.
I am thinking of doing the DL run for at least silver. Where should I start to book ?

TIA, ccna101
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by ccna101
I am local to both (bus) IAD/DCA/BWI and (home) SFO/LAX and will start MR from there.
With no status, I will schedule 10-14 trips between east-west and 1 Greek trip this year.
I am thinking of doing the DL run for at least silver. Where should I start to book ?

TIA, ccna101
Do you have any flying planned that is not just for status?
Unfortunately, you seem to be flying as a run for status without checking out the ROI (return on invested money, time, effort).
silver and gold can be gotten easily via a credit card (in the US), FYI.

you can start here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-skymiles-665/
wh6cto likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jan 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm Reason: Link to thread not needed after merge
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K

TIA, ccna101
You should also consider if DL and SkyTeam can get where you need to go in the most convenient way?

From your list of airports, LAX is the only DL hub. As previous poster said, you can hit status with the right CC and spend only.
You may want to consider AA where they have hubs at LAX and DCA. AA also allows you to pay to start a challenge with no status. That will get you to AA Gold (= DL Silver) a lot quicker.
UA has the most hubs on your list as they have hubs in SFO, LAX and IAD but as you probably already know, miles no longer matter. It's all about (high) spend with UA now.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

TIA, ccna101
10-14/yr domestic transcon trips alone you get you enough for Silver with Delta, possibly Gold depending on your fare price. 10 trips will get you ~50K in flight distance (MQM in Delta earning), you will need the corresponding spend: $3K for Silver, $6K Gold, etc (unless you have a waiver - e.g. credit card spend). Once you have earned at least Silver, anything above and beyond the min. MQM in each tier will be rolled over the the following year for a head start. No rollover of dollar spend (MQD).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:00 am

Help needed meeting challenge requirements

Hi All,

I challenged my expiring status to DL Silver. Trying to ensure I meet the challenge requirements to keep silver for the year.

I have one flight planned in March from CUN to ATL to JAX (v class fare, $104 fare paid) so I think I’ll earn 1600 MQMs and 160 EQDs (1600 x .5 x .2).

that leaves me needing 4,650 MQMs and 590 MQDs. Looking to do something in feb for as cheap as possible to hit these numbers. Based in JAX but can take a positioning flight anywhere as needed using miles from other airlines. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Garrett Harshman
Hi All,

I challenged my expiring status to DL Silver. Trying to ensure I meet the challenge requirements to keep silver for the year.

I have one flight planned in March from CUN to ATL to JAX (v class fare, $104 fare paid) so I think I’ll earn 1600 MQMs and 160 EQDs (1600 x .5 x .2).

that leaves me needing 4,650 MQMs and 590 MQDs. Looking to do something in feb for as cheap as possible to hit these numbers. Based in JAX but can take a positioning flight anywhere as needed using miles from other airlines. Any suggestions appreciated!
If your flight from CUN is a Delta ticket then MQDs earned is based on the ticket price and not distance flown (guessing it will be less than $100 MQDs). MQMs for CUN-ATL-JAX is probably closer to 1400 MQMs.

The Silver medallion challenge is 6250 MQMs or 8 segments. If you have an MQD waiver then you may want to consider meeting the requirements via segments. The Cancun trip is 2 segments. You can pick up the remaining 6 segments with a trip to LAN. e.g. Feb. 7, $257 (JAX-ATL-DTW-LAN-DTW-ATL-JAX)

If you don't have a MQD waiver, I would suggest doing a run to Hawaii. e.g. Feb. 6, JAX-OGG, $782 (MC), about 10,700 MQMs, $688 MQDs, 2 hours in OGG, get back to JAX on afternoon of Feb. 7. Adding the MQDs from the Cancun trip should get you the needed MQDs

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jan 6, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:31 pm

SLC (or PIH) - LHR

Departure Airport: SLC (PIH is home but just shuttles to SLC)
Miles Needed: trying to maximize MQD/M
Required Spend or Budget: would like to stay under $1,500 but a little flexible if the return is big
Available Travel Dates: Feb 12-27 (+/- 3 on either side)

Trying to determine best choice for maximizing MQD and MQM on trip to UK. I'll spend a little more if it makes sense for MQD/M and generally like to travel a little comfortably (e.g., Comfort+). Current status is Silver and want that higher; at just 1,452 MQMs today. Live next to PIH but can also drive to SLC to use partner marketed/operated. LHR would be most convenient arrive/depart in UK for trip itinerary but I'll be driving all over (north as far as St Andrews to south as far as Exeter) so another airport (or diff arrive/depart) could be doable.

Does it make sense to try to use a partner marketed/operated or should I just book Delta? Very new to this game. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Did a status challenge for DL Platinum, so trying to see if I can knock it out in one trip, since I need to get to Europe around middle of March and then back a couple of weeks later, so maybe there are some options there. Already have 1,018 MQMs booked domestically.

Departure Airport: SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, SLC
Miles Needed: 17,732 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $2K
Available Travel Dates: March 15-March 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshare is fine
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by bearshaw
Departure Airport: SLC (PIH is home but just shuttles to SLC)
Miles Needed: trying to maximize MQD/M
Required Spend or Budget: would like to stay under $1,500 but a little flexible if the return is big
Available Travel Dates: Feb 12-27 (+/- 3 on either side)

Trying to determine best choice for maximizing MQD and MQM on trip to UK. I'll spend a little more if it makes sense for MQD/M and generally like to travel a little comfortably (e.g., Comfort+). Current status is Silver and want that higher; at just 1,452 MQMs today. Live next to PIH but can also drive to SLC to use partner marketed/operated. LHR would be most convenient arrive/depart in UK for trip itinerary but I'll be driving all over (north as far as St Andrews to south as far as Exeter) so another airport (or diff arrive/depart) could be doable.

Does it make sense to try to use a partner marketed/operated or should I just book Delta? Very new to this game. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would suggest repositioning to LAX or SFO and then take Virgin Atlantic to JNB. (LAX/SFO-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX/SFO)

For Feb 15 - 17, flights to JNB are about $1121 (LAX) / $1100 (SFO) in Economy Delight. They will earn you about 27,000 MQMs and $5500 MQDs.

See if they will allow a stopover in LHR on the outbound or inbound.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by andreiz
Did a status challenge for DL Platinum, so trying to see if I can knock it out in one trip, since I need to get to Europe around middle of March and then back a couple of weeks later, so maybe there are some options there. Already have 1,018 MQMs booked domestically.

Departure Airport: SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, SLC
Miles Needed: 17,732 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $2K
Available Travel Dates: March 15-March 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshare is fine
From Europe, I would take a look at some of options available on China Eastern. Use the deals found on the Premium Fare deals as guides.

From SEA, you do a MR to SIN on China Eastern which will get you the needed miles. May be cheaper from YVR.

SEA-BKK on Delta is in the $500 range but only get you about 15,000 MQMs.

SEA-JNB on Virgin Atlantic is in the $950 (Economy Classic) range on weekends and will get you about 20,000 MQMs.
andreiz and dlffla like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
I would suggest repositioning to LAX or SFO and then take Virgin Atlantic to JNB. (LAX/SFO-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX/SFO)

For Feb 15 - 17, flights to JNB are about $1121 (LAX) / $1100 (SFO) in Economy Delight. They will earn you about 27,000 MQMs and $5500 MQDs.

See if they will allow a stopover in LHR on the outbound or inbound.
Thanks! Maybe I wrote my plans in incorrect format. I need to be in the UK for about 14-16 days. The plan is for departing on or around Feb 12 and returning about 14-16 days later. Maybe I posted in the wrong thread altogether as this is less of a mileage run, as such, and more an attempt to maximize MQD/M return on a needed trip. Just thought those who are best at doing that are the mileage run folks.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by bearshaw
Thanks! Maybe I wrote my plans in incorrect format. I need to be in the UK for about 14-16 days. The plan is for departing on or around Feb 12 and returning about 14-16 days later. Maybe I posted in the wrong thread altogether as this is less of a mileage run, as such, and more an attempt to maximize MQD/M return on a needed trip. Just thought those who are best at doing that are the mileage run folks.
I was suggesting to see if it possible to have a 2 week layover in London in the middle of the LAX or SFO - JNB MR. I don't know how much or if Virgin Atlantic would charge for such a layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.