Reload this Page >

UA - SFO/LAX/IAH - HKG from $359

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA - SFO/LAX/IAH - HKG from $359

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:34 am

The protests at the airport have gotten worse. They just cancelled all departing flights for the rest of the day. There's a lot of risk planning a flight via HKG right now.

Despite the fact that the airport is VERY far from downtown, the protesters have started making it one of their locations of choice. Probably because it has AC...

It's also highly disruptive making a serious impact on HK's economy, and the protesters currently believe that police will be less likely to use tactics such as tear gas, etc in the airport.

But seriously... It also has AC. It's been hot as heck lately and they're wearing black shirts.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Thinking about booking something for late next month with the low fares (hoping things die down a bit) as I would plan to stay for a couple days. Wonder if trip insurance would work to protect against protests at the airport?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by scracer14
Thinking about booking something for late next month with the low fares (hoping things die down a bit) as I would plan to stay for a couple days. Wonder if trip insurance would work to protect against protests at the airport?
tbh, I would not take my chances.
You can put in a hundred or couple more and travel to different parts of Asia.
I was originally thinking about flying to HKG and reposition to different countires i.e thailand,
but with all these news about protest getting more intense and airport shutdown, no go for me.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Uh, don't know if this helps, but I just saw SFO to HKG for $180 OW.. Dates don't work for me, I needed something on Mid Oct.
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Availability are on every Wed, lasts till early October..
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:33 pm

just came back from hongkong. and did not have any issue.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I think as long as you avoid the weekends, there are no issues in Hong Kong. Flights are cheap; hotels have lots of upgrades; cameras at the airport are now sporting a nicely improvised plastic cover and they’re checking to make sure you actually are flying before they let you into the terminal. Those are the only difference I noticed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.