Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:23 am

Might seem like a stupid question, but you guys are flying to YYZ then back to the US? What's the breakdown of total cost VS points/miles you're receiving?

I've been following this thread because I'm based in Shanghai and the flights are a great deal if im flying back and forth from US regularly (gf lives in NYC) , so I haven't been looking at points or miles. But I can't seem to figure out how it's beneficial for yall to be doing this often. Is the goal here status miles or award miles. Can anyone give me a quick breadown?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Status miles or PQM

Nowadays, all mileage runs are for status or PQM for United because of the spend-based redeemable mile scheme. For the runs in this thread, the cost is very low, about 2 cents per mile or less (excluding positioning flight cost). Another purpose is for lifetime status (eg, 1 million miles for Premier Gold).
Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: United
Cant edit the wiki but here are some I found:

March 12th
DEN>HNL>GUM
March 13th
GUM-HKG-XIY
March 15th
PEK-SFO-YVR
$334

March 12th
IAH-DEN-HNL
March 13th
GUM-HKG-XIY
March 15th
PEK-SFO-YVR
$466

If anyone sees anything more with Houston, please do post it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:44 pm

March 21st
SFO>HNL>GUM
March 22nd
GUM-HKG-XIY
May 30
PEK-EWR-YYZ
$290

thinking to avoid a overnight stay in HK looks not possible since UA159 arrive HKG at 11pm?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:49 am

Hi all,

Thank you very much for this thread so I could be able to get an affordable tickets for a round trip to China. My flights are as follows

May 16: LAX - HKG
May 18: HKG - HGH
May 20: PVG - EWR (arrive EWR at May 20 local EST)
May 21: EWR - YUL

I was wondering, when I am going to check-in at PVG, will they provide me all boarding passes to YUL or they will just provide me the boarding passes to EWR, since the flights from EWR to YUL is on the next day. All segments are in a single reservation.

Thank you very much!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by skysun
March 21st
SFO>HNL>GUM
March 22nd
GUM-HKG-XIY
May 30
PEK-EWR-YYZ
$290

thinking to avoid a overnight stay in HK looks not possible since UA159 arrive HKG at 11pm?
If flying via GUM an overnight in HKG is unavoidable.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: 1K
Currently in HKG, came in from GUM.

Spent an hour or so in the Centurion Lounge and then moved over to the Plaza Premium Lounge (where i am now). If you have access to the lounge, its a nice place to overnight (not much movement or noise, a few areas to relax in sofas, and two people have fallen asleep horizontally on padded bench.)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
I noticed that almost all the itineraries listed in the wiki fly follow the pattern ORIGIN - HGH / PVG - DESTINATION. Is there a reason why you can't fly ORIGIN - PVG / HGH - DESTINATION? For instance, I'm looking at a EWR - PVG / HGH - HKG - GUM - YYZ itinerary right now (all within 6 days) and I'm wondering if that would be OK.

Edit: I checked travelchinaguide and apparently this is ok: √ Singapore – Shanghai – Hangzhou - Malaysia. So I guess mine should be fine as well?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
I noticed that almost all the itineraries listed in the wiki fly follow the pattern ORIGIN - HGH / PVG - DESTINATION. Is there a reason why you can't fly ORIGIN - PVG / HGH - DESTINATION? For instance, I'm looking at a EWR - PVG / HGH - HKG - GUM - YYZ itinerary right now (all within 6 days) and I'm wondering if that would be OK.

Edit: I checked travelchinaguide and apparently this is ok: √ Singapore – Shanghai – Hangzhou - Malaysia. So I guess mine should be fine as well?
For visa issue, your propsed itinerary would qualify, as you are entering China from USA, and departing to another country, for visa purposes HKG
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Currently in HKG, came in from GUM.

Spent an hour or so in the Centurion Lounge and then moved over to the Plaza Premium Lounge (where i am now). If you have access to the lounge, its a nice place to overnight (not much movement or noise, a few areas to relax in sofas, and two people have fallen asleep horizontally on padded bench.)
Nice. Which Plaza Premium lounge are you in - there's 2 of them, by gate 40 and gate 2. I guess they're not enforcing the 2 hour rule.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by edsh
Nice. Which Plaza Premium lounge are you in - there's 2 of them, by gate 40 and gate 2. I guess they're not enforcing the 2 hour rule.
@penguinflies and I just returned from doing the trip, and we had an overnight connection in HKG on Tuesday night. They did mention the 3 (not 2) hour rule when we entered the PP lounge by gate 2. We stayed ~5 hours before they came around and said that we'd either have to leave, or scan the card again (essentially paying again). We decided to wander down to the PP lounge out by gate 40 just to see what the difference was. Our impression was that the lounge out by gate 40 is quieter and darker, so if you're looking for a place to sleep, that might be the better place. However, I think there may have been fewer seats that would be comfortable for sleeping in, and I can't comment on whether they would be strict with the 3 hour limit there, because we were there for <2 hours.

Last edited by mpiotrow; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
@penguinflies and I just returned from doing the trip, and we had an overnight connection in HKG on Tuesday night. .
Thanks. I'm half way through the second of two back to back trips. My HKG departure was at noon each trip so I had more transit hours to use up. On the first, I chose the Four Points hotel Shenzhen. I have a China visa and the hotel is walkable from the cross boarder checkpoint. Having Hong Kong e-channel access helps a lot and I'd advise anyone with frequent flyer status to get this - there's no cost and it takes 5 minutes to complete the application. On the second trip I stayed at Hyatt Sha Tin - easily accessible with public transportation. The flight landed at 11PM and I arrived at the hotel by 12:15.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by edsh
im just back from my trip.

i used the PP lounge across from the Centurion lounge. There was no mention of any 2 or 3 hour rule (in the app the lounge does not mention a limit either).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAEXP, CZ G, MU PLT, CA PLT, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott PP
Talking

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
What dates/routes are you taking? I've got 2 booked (one Feb 25-28, and one Mar 7-11).
wow~ I also have a trip on 7mar for LAX-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by kulin
wow~ I also have a trip on 7mar for LAX-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG...
I did the SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG route on 25 Feb. My flight tomorrow (7 Mar) is the opposite direction for the loop...SFO-PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.