Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

BA: summer NYC-PAR from $313 roundtrip

BA: summer NYC-PAR from $313 roundtrip

Old Jan 19, 17, 7:31 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,980
BA: summer NYC-PAR from $313 roundtrip

There's are some excellent sub-$400 roundtrip fares from JFK and EWR to Paris for travel all summer. It seems like you can fly either Open Skies or AA metal. To get the fare below $320, you need a cheapo AARP membership (mine's expired from last year's crazy BA biz class deal, but it still worked), use the AARP website link for BA and then pay with a Visa card after entering promo code CARDOFFERU.

Amazing deal for summer travel.
iahphx is offline  
Old Jan 19, 17, 7:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 569
I've been fiddling with this, trying to stick to AA metal and numbers. There are some great combinations that keep the fare at 400 or less - try open jaws using a mix of JFK/BOS-CDG/JER/ZRH/FCO/GLA/NCE/AMS, and probably others. JER seems like a nice excuse to go somewhere I wouldn't otherwise think to. There are options on AA in the 380s (and maybe better on BA with the two discounts they mention.)

Last edited by danielm; Jan 19, 17 at 8:47 pm
danielm is offline  
Old Jan 19, 17, 8:06 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,980
Originally Posted by danielm View Post
I've been fiddling with this, trying to stick to AA metal and numbers. There are some great combinations that keep the fare at 400 or less - try open jaws using a mix of JFK/BOS-CDG/JER/ZRH/FCO/GLA/NCE, and probably others. JER seems like a nice excuse to go somewhere I wouldn't otherwise think to. There are options on AA in the 380s (and maybe better on BA with the two discounts they mention.)
Silly me: I tried to figure this out myself. Dansdeals already had it an hour or two earlier. And while I was looking at July, Dan found August for even less -- like $252 all in! He's got the detailed instructions on how to book, too.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/104865

EDIT: Note that for the extra 10% discount to apply, you apparently have to fly OpenSkies and not AA metal. Does anyone know whether elite status on AA will get you free seat assignments on OpenSkies? And does it even matter? I assume most people don't pay, and there are lots of seats available at the 24-hour mark

Last edited by iahphx; Jan 19, 17 at 8:10 pm Reason: more
iahphx is offline  
Old Jan 19, 17, 10:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,748
the booking page explicitly says noncancellable

but BA should have a 24hr cancellation policy...hmm

EDIT: scrolling down, booking page does say 24 hr cancel.

got a 1-week trip for $272... cannot cancel online, must call to cancel (call center open 7am-11pm EST)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 19, 17 at 10:47 pm
paperwastage is offline  
Old Jan 19, 17, 11:19 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,748
edit: the page costs are very inconsistent

i am able to get $272 + 10% off = $250. have to choose all openskies flights (instead of mixture of BA/openskies)

i'm able to call and cancel my $272... and go for $250

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 19, 17 at 11:28 pm
paperwastage is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 7:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 622
I see the discounted fares of $253 etc. on the website but when I go to book I get hit with fees in excess of the fare.

I see that on the Dan's Deals screen cap the fare is listed as "0.00" -- is that what I need to look for in the booking screen to get a total fare of $300 or so?
Homer15 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 8:05 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,372
Originally Posted by Homer15 View Post

I see that on the Dan's Deals screen cap the fare is listed as "0.00" -- is that what I need to look for in the booking screen to get a total fare of $300 or so?
Ask Dan. He'll be working after sundown today. @:-)
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 4:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,748
Originally Posted by Homer15 View Post
I see the discounted fares of $253 etc. on the website but when I go to book I get hit with fees in excess of the fare.

I see that on the Dan's Deals screen cap the fare is listed as "0.00" -- is that what I need to look for in the booking screen to get a total fare of $300 or so?
each leg should be around $150 (or lower)
lowee, which makes it $300 rt. 10% code applies on top of this

I tried searching, haven't seen any availability right now
The $0 fare means that $250 are taxes/surcharge. If you cancel a nonrefundable fare, you can get taxes back, so technically you get your money back*

*(I'm looking at my receipt, $50 are taxes. $200 is BA "Insurance and Security Surcharge", which probably won't be refunded)

paperwastage is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 5:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 1,665
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
each leg should be around $150 (or lower)
lowee, which makes it $300 rt. 10% code applies on top of this

I tried searching, haven't seen any availability right now
The $0 fare means that $250 are taxes/surcharge. If you cancel a nonrefundable fare, you can get taxes back, so technically you get your money back*

*(I'm looking at my receipt, $50 are taxes. $200 is BA "Insurance and Security Surcharge", which probably won't be refunded)

I don't know about BA, but in my experience with US carriers they won't refund the taxes if you cancel. It ought to be illegal, but evidently it isn't.
dogcanyon is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 6:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,748
Originally Posted by dogcanyon View Post
I don't know about BA, but in my experience with US carriers they won't refund the taxes if you cancel. It ought to be illegal, but evidently it isn't.
Ba actually lists this in the email
*Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets.**A refund of the carrier imposed charge may be made on unused flights in your itinerary if it is permitted by the fare rules and conditions applicable to your booking
paperwastage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: