Ua: Lax-den-lax $100

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ua: Lax-den-lax $100

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA1K
best part for me is...my LAX-DEN saturday is the lie flat 752 and i'll get the UG tomorrow. pretty good steal.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
best part for me is...my LAX-DEN saturday is the lie flat 752 and i'll get the UG tomorrow. pretty good steal.
Sounds like a great deal! Are you hoping for a CPU, or using an instrument?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Sounds like a great deal! Are you hoping for a CPU, or using an instrument?
got the CPU this morning
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
got the CPU this morning
I see that you're platinum, so that explains the 72hr CPU confirmation...but, how did you know you'd be getting the CPU? I just got platinum for the first time last year, and haven't flown since getting that status, so I'm looking forward to the addt'l benefits compared to gold. I'm just curious so that I can find out about my CPU status for an upcoming flight in a couple weeks. Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I see that you're platinum, so that explains the 72hr CPU confirmation...but, how did you know you'd be getting the CPU? I just got platinum for the first time last year, and haven't flown since getting that status, so I'm looking forward to the addt'l benefits compared to gold. I'm just curious so that I can find out about my CPU status for an upcoming flight in a couple weeks. Thanks!
there were 9 open seats and it was R2 and E+ was wide open. i suspected i would have gotten that UG.

the 5:40am LAX-DEN is not a popular flight on a saturday. i was upgraded on the same flight last december.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
DEN-LAX/LAX-DEN:
1. Pick a departure time and day/date that's not as in demand (e.g. avoid the LAX-DEN 5:40 am on Monday if you can avoid it - I'm also not suggesting flying the 5:40 am on Saturday but that's up to you)
2. Pick a bigger aircraft with more F seats (772, 753, 739 vs 738, 319, 320)
3. Look for flights where, even at T<24 hrs, few are upgraded => fewer higher elites waiting for CPUs; do a SDC
- or -
4. Use Expert Mode to confirm that R>0 and apply one of your RPUs
One other thing to look at is what you get if and when you upgrade or get CPU'd - do you get much of a benefit besides the seat: e.g. what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Counter questions: with your status prior to reaching platinum, what was your upgrade percentage before? Were there better times that you observed to get upgraded?

David

Last edited by DELee; Feb 2, 2017 at 1:52 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:02 am

there were 9 open seats and it was R2 and E+ was wide open. i suspected i would have gotten that UG.
R2 means that there are 2 R class seats available which people could use RPUs for, right? So you're basing your suspicion of upgrade on the fact that there are still upgrade seats available, combined with the fact that you don't think there will be many 1Ks on the flight (who would be ahead of you in the CPU line), right? I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning so that I can try to plan ahead for things like that, etc

For example, I have an upcoming flight to ORD in a few weeks. I realize that's still a long time for things to change, but if the flight were in 3-4 days, what do you think my chances would be? It's an 8am flight from DEN-ORD on a Saturday on a 757-300, and right now the flight is showing R4, E+ has 18 (of 51) seats available, First is showing 14 (of 24) seats available.

Also, my girlfriend and I are flying on the same PNR...she has no status, and I have Platinum. Will she be put on the CPU list at the same point I am? I've *never* understood the whole splitting a reservation vs not splitting, etc. I don't know why it has to be so confusing! haha
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Counter questions: with your status prior to reaching platinum, what was your upgrade percentage before? Were there better times that you observed to get upgraded
Upgrade percentage before...hmm, that's tough. I never really kept track. Of my 25 United segments last year, 16 were CPU eligible, and I'd guess that I got upgraded 4 times? So, 25% of the time, or so...

And, as for keeping track of when I got upgraded, I definitely knew that if I was flying a DEN-SFO or DEN-ORD (or reverse) early in the morning on a Monday, or late on a Friday, that my chances of a CPU were definitely slim to none. There's nothing like being number 50 on the upgrade list when there are 2 seats available!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:27 pm

R2 means that there are 2 R class seats available which people could use RPUs for, right? So you're basing your suspicion of upgrade on the fact that there are still upgrade seats available, combined with the fact that you don't think there will be many 1Ks on the flight (who would be ahead of you in the CPU line), right? I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning so that I can try to plan ahead for things like that, etc
there were 10 seats open in F (i know, seat maps are a bad indicator but i feel it's a good indicator in F). only 5 seats were chosen in E+ (i figure elites will choose their seats) and it was F9 R2 Y9...G9

so seeing the flight that open, i figured my chances were good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.