Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-HKG-IAD-HKG-LAX $1173 34226EQM 3.4CPM Only 1 hotel night!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Fool's Gold

Just playing around……

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...192;a=ONEWORLD

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...193;a=ONEWORLD

I actually did do a similar itinerary in April nesting HKG-IAD into LAX-PVG and got 39969 EQM for $1061. Did have to buy a $140 RT from PVG-HKG, though.

Last edited by The_Just; Jun 12, 2016 at 9:38 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
After August 1st that is only for the EQM.

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Great MR for meeting EQM for status. The overnight stay in Dallas takes a little of the sting away, but this itenarary is brutal nonetheless.

Thanks for the post!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DAL Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
Yea, I've been very active looking for June/July, and booked EWR - PVG for $900 that leaves next week, but I can't find any great deals for 26K to hit EXP by July 31st
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sawastea
Yea, I've been very active looking for June/July, and booked EWR - PVG for $900 that leaves next week, but I can't find any great deals for 26K to hit EXP by July 31st
You should consider a YVR-PTY business class run. That got me 23k EQM and your positioning from the east coast would get you the rest.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
That would be a tough one, even for a fresh faced mileage runner.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:15 pm

So theoretically, if I was already Gold Status I would get 42,782 EQM?

Considering that starting in 2017 platinum will require a minimum expenditure of $6000 & miles, it seems like this is a great value for under $1300.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Originally Posted by DrCesarG
So theoretically, if I was already Gold Status I would get 42,782 EQM?
The gold bonus is on redeemable miles, not qualifying miles. Elite qualification is the same for everyone.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Bonvoy Titanium, United Silver, various other midtier rankings
Originally Posted by The_Just
You should consider a YVR-PTY business class run. That got me 23k EQM and your positioning from the east coast would get you the rest.
I don't understand the math on that. What am I missing? Can you break it down for me, please?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
Breaking it down

EQMs/MQMs/PQMs, whichever SkyTeam/StarAlliance/OneWorld U.S. airline you fly requires butt-in-seat qualifying miles to achieve elite status. Typically the only eligible bonus comes from paying a business or first class fare. Otherwise you earn what you fly.

Redeemable miles, which can be used for award tickets, are now based on ticket price (a.k.a. revenue) x multiplier (a certain number of miles/$, depending on your elite status. Delta and United (and Southwest) have all converted to revenue-based redeemable miles. American is the holdout, at least until August 1.

Until August 1, on American, what earn for redemption is what you fly x whatever your elite bonus gives you (25% extra for Gold, 100% extra for Plat and Exec Plat).

For example, MCI-MEL (Australia, if that's the right code) is approximately 9,000 miles each way. Before Aug. 1, on American, I would earn (9,000 x 2 x 200%) = 36,000 redeemable miles, and 18,000 EQMs because I'm cheap and would only pay for coach.

Does this help?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Bonvoy Titanium, United Silver, various other midtier rankings
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
EQMs/MQMs/PQMs, whichever SkyTeam/StarAlliance/OneWorld U.S. airline you fly requires butt-in-seat qualifying miles to achieve elite status. Typically the only eligible bonus comes from paying a business or first class fare. Otherwise you earn what you fly.

Redeemable miles, which can be used for award tickets, are now based on ticket price (a.k.a. revenue) x multiplier (a certain number of miles/$, depending on your elite status. Delta and United (and Southwest) have all converted to revenue-based redeemable miles. American is the holdout, at least until August 1.

Until August 1, on American, what earn for redemption is what you fly x whatever your elite bonus gives you (25% extra for Gold, 100% extra for Plat and Exec Plat).

For example, MCI-MEL (Australia, if that's the right code) is approximately 9,000 miles each way. Before Aug. 1, on American, I would earn (9,000 x 2 x 200%) = 36,000 redeemable miles, and 18,000 EQMs because I'm cheap and would only pay for coach.

Does this help?
Ok, so what I'm pulling up in Google flights is yvr-dfw-mia-pty-dfw-yvr for 7,770 miles. x2 for EXP bonuses, you'd get another 7,770 miles. +3k EQM for the promotion bonus miles shorthaul in premium seats, and then another 2x bonus for J seating, for another 7,770, so conservatively 26k EQM for this itinerary, assuming you're EXP?

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...sc=b;a=AA;eo=e
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelingJay
Ok, so what I'm pulling up in Google flights is yvr-dfw-mia-pty-dfw-yvr for 7,770 miles. x2 for EXP bonuses, you'd get another 7,770 miles. +3k EQM for the promotion bonus miles shorthaul in premium seats, and then another 2x bonus for J seating, for another 7,770, so conservatively 26k EQM for this itinerary, assuming you're EXP?

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...sc=b;a=AA;eo=e
You're mixing up EQM and RDM. The EQM for that is just 2x the distance, so just over 15k. The ExP bonus and J bonus you refer to is just RDM.

If you could still book yvr-Phx-lax-jfk-mia-pty-Mia-jfk-lax-yvr at a reasonable price (Last I checked it was $1400+, mine for last week was ~$900) you can get a much higher EQM total of 24490.

RDM for EXP would be in the ballpark of 30k (12245 x 2.5 (base + 100% Bonus + 50% J bonus) + up to 7000 Premium Cabin bonus on short flights based on class + 24000 Premium cabin bonus on the JFK-LAX & Return if booked in right class.

Last edited by mikelat; Jun 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:39 am

Thanks a lot for the breakdown, Mike. I appreciate it.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikelat
You're mixing up EQM and RDM. The EQM for that is just 2x the distance, so just over 15k. The ExP bonus and J bonus you refer to is just RDM.

If you could still book yvr-Phx-lax-jfk-mia-pty-Mia-jfk-lax-yvr at a reasonable price (Last I checked it was $1400+, mine for last week was ~$900) you can get a much higher EQM total of 24490.

RDM for EXP would be in the ballpark of 30k (12245 x 2.5 (base + 100% Bonus + 50% J bonus) + up to 7000 Premium Cabin bonus on short flights based on class + 24000 Premium cabin bonus on the JFK-LAX & Return if booked in right class.
Were there promotions i missed to get RDM from your calculations.I am EXP and if do the as you explained.

Is the 7k & 24K pre bonus a promotion ??
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fnuhenry
Were there promotions i missed to get RDM from your calculations.I am EXP and if do the as you explained.

Is the 7k & 24K pre bonus a promotion ??
I think we are mixing a few things up. On the YVR-PTY you would get RDM bonuses because of the fare class being in business and first. On the back breaking LAX-HKG-IAD-HKG-LAX MR you would only get less than 10K RDM (status dependent) but you'd get 34K+ EQM. I believe that you do these MR for the EQM and not the RDM. The RDM is a nice bonus but I feel like with the spend requirement starting in 2017, this year is the last year most people will be able to attain higher AA status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.