Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: AKL-LAX $535 USD rt Oct-Dec (4.11cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:22 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP

AA is having a promotional sale on this new route (which is, of course, subject to 'regulatory approval').

Other cities possible to get even lower cpm, available plenty of dates in October, November, and December.

Upgrade space is likely to be somewhat limited, so be prepared to do what I've done for years - sit in coach for a gazillion hours across the Pacific!

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
We should also probably include reminders that AA will be revenue based before the flight dates.

Last edited by wijomas; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:57 am

routing via SYD possible - and upgrades are pretty easy on certain days of the week. my last AA flight had empty seats in J on LAX-SYD after all nonrevs cleared
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I paid $562.46 in January for my one-way AKL-LAX-BOS on Labor Day... though I did get my pick of J seats. We should also probably include reminders that AA will be revenue based before the flight dates.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Fantastic deal....just in the wrong direction for me
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:18 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
We should also probably include reminders that AA will be revenue based before the flight dates.
Good catch!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by wijomas
Good catch!
That's not confirmed yet. Rumors are Jan 1.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:00 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme
That's not confirmed yet. Rumors are Jan 1.
Wasn't it "second half of 2016" ? Or has it been pushed out?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by wijomas
Wasn't it "second half of 2016" ? Or has it been pushed out?
Second half of 2016 is the verbiage, but nothing has been confirmed yet, and rumors on the AA forum is Jan 1.

But who knows, they could pull an AS and have it start immediately.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
What does revenue based matter? It doesn't affect EQM, only RDM. I can get more RDM in 60 seconds on the AA website for less money, than I would by sitting in coach for 40 hours... so RDM are not even remotely part of my decision making matrix when it comes to whether or not to make a mileage run.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
What does revenue based matter? It doesn't affect EQM, only RDM. I can get more RDM in 60 seconds on the AA website for less money, than I would by sitting in coach for 40 hours... so RDM are not even remotely part of my decision making matrix when it comes to whether or not to make a mileage run.
They are 100% my decision right now, and the reason why I switched to AA.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:13 pm

Making a mileage run just to gather RDM is like driving coast-to-coast because you like the canned corn you can get at a different supermarket.

Sure, you can do it... or you can save yourself $1,000 and 3 days of your time by ordering it off Amazon.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:56 am

I wouldn't get the Qualifying miles if I only bought the RDM, nor would anyone else.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I wouldn't get the Qualifying miles if I only bought the RDM, nor would anyone else.
EXACTLY! Which is why mileage runs are all about QUALIFYING miles. The RDM are a nice touch, but not the reason people do mileage runs. That's why we don't count RDM bonuses in the cpm calculations, either - because they're inconsequential to the overall decision.

Which is why the endless folks saying "Oh, this fare won't mean as much after RDM goes to revenue based" are completely missing the point.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Which is why the endless folks saying "Oh, this fare won't mean as much after RDM goes to revenue based" are completely missing the point.
Eh, not quite true. You're missing their point.

They are making the comment so someone might choose to book a different MR before the change, as opposed to this MR after.

Given two MRs with similar CPM, convenience, etc, I would definitely book one that was before the change. If you're going to change the EQM, might as well maximize your RDM at the same time, right? You're welcome to do otherwise, of course. That will keep the pre-change MR's a sliver cheaper and more available for everyone else

BTHumme was a bit ambiguous when saying it's 100% his decision. It's probably 100% of his timing decision. He didn't say "I do my MRs wholly to rack up RDMs". Big difference...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by corncob
Eh, not quite true. You're missing their point.

They are making the comment so someone might choose to book a different MR before the change, as opposed to this MR after.

Given two MRs with similar CPM, convenience, etc, I would definitely book one that was before the change. If you're going to change the EQM, might as well maximize your RDM at the same time, right? You're welcome to do otherwise, of course. That will keep the pre-change MR's a sliver cheaper and more available for everyone else

BTHumme was a bit ambiguous when saying it's 100% his decision. It's probably 100% of his timing decision. He didn't say "I do my MRs wholly to rack up RDMs". Big difference...
That's more so correct. The RDM is a bigger benefit, and I am trying to maximize it every way I can right now (while still climbing to Ex Plat). I've never booked an award ticket before, and saving up for a nice honeymoon in a a couple years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.