Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: SFO/EWR/IAH/IAD/ORD to BOG $264+ ai rt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by texasrob
Is this deal completely dead now? I'm not finding anything, but wonder if I'm just missing options in early 2016.
Last time I looked, fares were back around $800 ex-LAX. I'm pretty sure it's gone.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Greetings from Sunny Medellin! Thanks again OP! Was a rough trip down after a week of J and F class lol..
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
I am just about finishing up my trip. For those headed there one suggestion I have is to not exchange too much money into pesos(I did only $20 for local buses and museum entrance fees). Exchangers at the airport are bad and you get 2150-2750 pesos per dollar while exchange rate is 3150~. I heard Banks in city are also pretty bad in exchange rates.
The best way to take advantage of the fallen peso is to use US credit cards at every possible instance. I spite of any transaction fees by issuer you will get closer to exchange rate. Every time you use the card they ask for id and my us license was good.
I even used my US uber account for my trip from airport and the ride was $8.
AWESOME user handle. We should be pals.

You can take out money at the ATM too if you tell your bank in advance so they don't cancel your card. You'll get a decent rate that way, though many cajeros limit your withdrawl to 500,000 pesos per transaction meaning if you need to take out more you keep getting dinged by your own bank for the out of country fees.

But yea, money exchanging in Colombia generally sucks. If you go to the bank you've gotta bring a passport, photocopy, get it like sort of notarized, fingerprints etc, it's just a huge hassle. If I don't have any pesos left I usually order some at a terrible rate from my bank online, then when I get there I've usually got a Western Union transfer (from myself) waiting for me. Great way to bring cash in.

Originally Posted by ryan754
Greetings from Sunny Medellin! Thanks again OP! Was a rough trip down after a week of J and F class lol..
I love getting to my apartment in Medellin knowing that the next day, regardless of time of year the weather will be nice, not too hot, not too cold, just right! It's fun to leave work in YMM get to rainy home in YVR connect in hot but stormy IAH connect again in beautiful PTY and arrive home in the eterna primavera of MDE all in the same 24 hours in Nov-Mar.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, HH Dia, PC Plt, Hyatt Plt, SPG Gld, Marriott Sil, Carlson Sil, Red Lion Plt
I used the currency exchange on the right after exiting customs and the cashier pocketed 100USD from my transaction. I didn't notice this for a few days though. I still have the receipt. Does anyone know who I can contact about this since I'm back in the USA?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by DEQ11
I used the currency exchange on the right after exiting customs and the cashier pocketed 100USD from my transaction. I didn't notice this for a few days though. I still have the receipt. Does anyone know who I can contact about this since I'm back in the USA?
Yeah, good luck with that as every exchange I've used advises you to check your money before leaving.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
AWESOME user handle.
Totally agree!

though many cajeros limit your withdrawl to 500,000 pesos per transaction meaning if you need to take out more you keep getting dinged by your own bank for the out of country fees.
This is OT, but it's strange that Scotiabank doesn't include Colombia with their other South American locations which all have ATM fees waived. Had they been, it may have been a decent alternative to having to do the money transfers and all that.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Glad handle is appreciated...

AWESOME user handle. We should be pals.
indeed, we should be friends.

DEQ11 - I exchanged my money after customs in the extreme right counter right before the domestic connections door. Got the best exchange there but can't understand how you did not realize being under changed by 275000 pesos.? I agree there is no recourse now.

I used an Amex card all over and it worked. Including Juan Valdez cafes, restaurants, hotel, local tour company. Only used cash for transmilenio card and recharge.

Last edited by Bob Saccamano; Sep 7, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:59 am

We landed in bog at 12:30 am from dfw.
On the way to immgrations, we walked passed the "connecting flight" area and it was dark.
Just wanted to report that just incase there are people who are doing turns.
The bog aa check in area opens at 11:00 am for mia flight.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
We landed in bog at 12:30 am from dfw.
On the way to immgrations, we walked passed the "connecting flight" area and it was dark.
Just wanted to report that just incase there are people who are doing turns.
The bog aa check in area opens at 11:00 am for mia flight.
Can you be a bit more specific? I will be arriving from DFW like you at 12:30 AM, but I have the 7:00 AM flight out that very same morning to Miami. Are you saying that it will not be possible for me to use the connecting flight area to get to the LAN VIP lounge, which opens at 2:00 AM? I will have my boarding pass for the 7:00 AM flight, and don't want to go out to a hotel or otherwise leave the terminal or go through security again. And I will only have carry-ons, of course, no checked luggage.

thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I have just boarded the BOG-DFW flight after 36 hours visiting a friend in Bogota. Those planning long layovers in the LAN lounge shouldn't expect anywhere to sleep. It is a very comfortable lounge but no big couches or day beds.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I have just boarded the BOG-DFW flight after 36 hours visiting a friend in Bogota. Those planning long layovers in the LAN lounge shouldn't expect anywhere to sleep. It is a very comfortable lounge but no big couches or day beds.
No problem, I can doze sitting up if I have to. I am just looking for assurances, and information, about getting to the lounge late at night after my AA flight lands at 12:30 AM. The previous reference to the international connections area being "dark" seemed a bit ominous.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Paul5795
No problem, I can doze sitting up if I have to. I am just looking for assurances, and information, about getting to the lounge late at night after my AA flight lands at 12:30 AM. The previous reference to the international connections area being "dark" seemed a bit ominous.
I noticed the same thing. Entrance to Int'l. connections area was dark (lights out), looking rather closed with a couple of bored-looking security people standing around. I arrived from MIA around 8 PM. I didn't pause to look further, but don't be surprised if you get sent through immigration / emigration.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: QF LTG
My friend from BOG thinks perhaps they close the intl connections section not long before the last international flights of the evening. Remember that flying DFW-BOG-MIA isn't a true international connection and they only stay open for people flying an itinerary like PTY-BOG-LHR.

Clearing immigration in Bogota was an absolute breeze, as was clearing security for my flight to DFW. I would just say you can enter the country then immediately turn back through security once you exit landside.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Clearing immigration in Bogota was an absolute breeze, as was clearing security for my flight to DFW. I would just say you can enter the country then immediately turn back through security once you exit landside.
OK, this is reassuring as a back-up plan. Thanks. Before I leave DFW, I will try to get my next-day BOG-MIA boarding pass so that if I have to exit landside in BOG I don't have to wait for the BOG AA check-in folks to open up their counter....
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Paul5795
...so that if I have to exit landside in BOG I don't have to wait for the BOG AA check-in folks to open up their counter....
You wouldn't have to wait. There are kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.