Search

DL: SFO/LAX-CPT Aug-Sept $685

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool DL: SFO/LAX-CPT Aug-Sept $685

DL SFO-ATL-JNB-CPT on DL except the last leg on South African $685. Example dates 8/30-9/10. Similar dates/flights from LAX at the same price.

Nice flights with reasonable connection times at a great price.

Available other dates as well on Orbitz.

You can use the coupon code 150VACA on Orbitz package over $1000 so that could cut hotel costs, too.

Hope to see a lot of FTers in CPT!

Cheers,

Doc
Old May 11, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: delta
I'm also seeing availability from IAH for the same price.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:55 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
DL SFO-ATL-JNB-CPT on DL except the last leg on South African $685. Example dates 8/30-9/10. Similar dates/flights from LAX at the same price.

Nice flights with reasonable connection times at a great price.

Available other dates as well on Orbitz.

You can use the coupon code 150VACA on Orbitz package over $1000 so that could cut hotel costs, too.

Hope to see a lot of FTers in CPT!

Cheers,

Doc
I'll be there over Thanksgiving!
Old May 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

Hmm, don't have many more days off... How bad is an idea is it to get in to CPT at 9:15pm on a Saturday, then have all day Sunday to do something, then fly back Monday at 10:55pm. I did also find some 23h layovers in AMS on return which may also be fun to add as well.

Basically is 2 days in CPT enough to see some good things, or should I really make it 3?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by exphose
Hmm, don't have many more days off... How bad is an idea is it to get in to CPT at 9:15pm on a Saturday, then have all day Sunday to do something, then fly back Monday at 10:55pm. I did also find some 23h layovers in AMS on return which may also be fun to add as well.

Basically is 2 days in CPT enough to see some good things, or should I really make it 3?
2 days would be fine....you can sleep on the lonnng plane ride home.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:05 pm

possibility to dump JNB-CPT leg?

Just a hypothetical question... If one got off in JNB on the departure, could one still board the return flight or would the airline see it as an incomplete and cancel the return leg? Also considering the last leg isn't DL or even skyteam...? Thanks in advance for any "hypothetical" experience shared!
Old May 11, 2015, 10:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Tryingtotravel
Just a hypothetical question... If one got off in JNB on the departure, could one still board the return flight or would the airline see it as an incomplete and cancel the return leg? Also considering the last leg isn't DL or even skyteam...? Thanks in advance for any "hypothetical" experience shared!
You could check the fare rules to see if a stopover in JNB is allowed. I doubt you could skip those flights without cancellation of the remainder.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
If you get off, then they'll cancel the rest of your ticket.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL plat
Tryingtotravel? More like Tryingtogetstranded if you do that

Listen to your fellow FT
Old May 12, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Delta, United, Marriott, Starwood
Anyone able to bookthe long layovers in AMS

I see in Matrix that there are a ton of flights with 23 hr layovers in AMS in either direction. When I called the Diamond desk they can't get the routing in V class with the layover that long. She tried for like 25 mins. When they do point to point, it prices out way higher. Goggle flights and DL.com don't show the longer layovers either and there I no way that I have found to force it.

Has anyone been able to book a ~700+ fare with the 23h layovers in AMS?
If so how?
Old May 12, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by theadog
I see in Matrix that there are a ton of flights with 23 hr layovers in AMS in either direction. When I called the Diamond desk they can't get the routing in V class with the layover that long. She tried for like 25 mins. When they do point to point, it prices out way higher. Goggle flights and DL.com don't show the longer layovers either and there I no way that I have found to force it.

If so how?
Yes, for example:

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SFO;t=CPT;d=2015-11-17;r=2015-11-26;sel=SFOCDG0AF83-CDGCPT1AF522,CPTAMS0KL598-AMSSFO1KL605;s=1;so=p

The trick to having it bookable though Delta is if you can actually click a google flights link and have it redirect you to the airlines site as opposed to telling you to call to book. This second one below is not bookable online and likely requires some other OTA to book:

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SFO;t=CPT;d=2015-11-17;r=2015-11-26;sel=SFOATL0DL240-ATLJNB0DL200-JNBCPT1SA369,CPTAMS0KL598-AMSSFO1KL605;so=p
Old May 12, 2015, 12:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by theadog

If so how?
Call the DM line back and ask them to switch to the KLM flight numbers. That's what worked for me when I booked mine last week! ^^^
Old May 12, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Need help. I just called Delta to book the flight below but they told me they cant book the South African Airways leg...

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...-ATLLAX1DL2167
Old May 14, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Marriott, Starwood
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 355F1
Call the DM line back and ask them to switch to the KLM flight numbers. That's what worked for me when I booked mine last week! ^^^
Thanks^^ That was what ended up working for me also. After I posted, I went to KLM and saw that KLM.com was offering the long layovers on the return and called the DM desk again, and mentioned that I see it live on the site so it is a valid bookable fare. They punched in the KL flight numbers and he was able to change my reso.

Anyone know, which OTA's allow for a specification of layover lenghts or is pretty good with being able to actually buy the more complex Matrix fares with bc=v and layover coding?
Old May 14, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
This excellent fare seems to be gone for now !

I noticed this excellent fare on Tuesday, May 12th, did check the fare rules and found the sales restrictions as follows: "TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 15MAY 15" and consequently procrastinated - there still was time enough to figure out dates that would work, preferably with the layover in my hometown of Amsterdam, like I've done so many times before en route to CT.
Mind you, Cape Town hasn't been on sale on Skyteam for over two years now.

Well, so much for procrastinators ... apparently the fare disappeared early morning of 5/13.

However, there are still a few optional departure cities - not as good, but still with attractive fares, so that's what I'm gonna book before tomorrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.