Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by jktraveler
Total miles: ~18,980

Sample dates:
05/03 - 05/05
05/10/ - 05/12
Just booked similar from BOS for $800.

A few days ago you could OJ with PVG on the return and bring the fare down to $630. I am not sure if this is still available.

Last edited by flying_q; Apr 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_q
Just booked similar from BOS for $800.

A few days ago you could OJ with PVG on the return and bring the fare down to $630. I am not sure if this is still available.
If I completed 5 consecutive trips like this, I would probably look like a zombie... I would just like to achieve EXP within 1 mileage run period at the lowest cost possible. Looks to me at 4 cpm, this could be it since it's pretty much 20k miles/per trip. Flying like this to maintain status already achieved is probably more comfortable (especially if systemwide upgrades are applied), but since I have no status with AA, in my case the least amount of comfort is guaranteed.

So, I'm just thinking - should I do it or not...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jktraveler
If I completed 5 consecutive trips like this, I would probably look like a zombie... I would just like to achieve EXP within 1 mileage run period at the lowest cost possible. Looks to me at 4 cpm, this could be it since it's pretty much 20k miles/per trip. Flying like this to maintain status already achieved is probably more comfortable (especially if systemwide upgrades are applied), but since I have no status with AA, in my case the least amount of comfort is guaranteed.

So, I'm just thinking - should I do it or not...

Look at the AA Platinum challenge there is a great thread about it in the AA forum at least in the middle of it you would get lounge access which would definitely help make things easier on the runs.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Plat
I am doing an ORD HKG run for a big part of my Platinum challenge. Hope the Status is worth the squeeze!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
http://www.kayak.com/flights/IAH-HKG...-19/2015-11-30

IAH-HKG for $617 on AA.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
From AUS for $732. Still 4.2 cpm which is pretty good. Available for the May 8 weekend (lose only one day of work) but the upgrade on the outbound looks very iffy. I did put it on hold and will think about it.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Great rate, but the wait is too long till August. This is probably more suitable for those with status already, to retain it. In my case, since I have no status at all, I want to achieve it as early in the year as possible. Also, flying from IAH would require 6 trips, instead of 5 + 1 extra night in HKG and 6 nights in Houston (the break between flights is just too long to spend at the airport each time, compared to jumping on the next flight at JFK in few hours).

Since $790 rates from EWR/JFK are limited, decided to take 3 trips and achieve Plat status (for now). Also, since flights depart to HKG early in the morning and arrive late at night (basically just a few hours between the flights), I think I will just hang out at JFK until the next flight in few hours), with one exception where stopover in New York is more than 24 hours, but on that day I think I will spend time in the air again, flying from east to west coast and back (found a cheap fare to LAX), and then on to HKG again in few hours. So this will be a 10 day journey earning 65k miles, with 3 overnight hotel stays at HKG. Now reading this, it all looks pretty crazy, but I will give it a try). Have admirals club membership, united club membership (exp. at the end of May) and priority pass, so this will make journey a bit easier (hopefully...).
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Stripe
From AUS for $732. Still 4.2 cpm which is pretty good. Available for the May 8 weekend (lose only one day of work) but the upgrade on the outbound looks very iffy. I did put it on hold and will think about it.
Upgrades on Fridays are tough. I had a SWU waitlisted since January 20th of this year for flight 137 on Friday, and I didn't get it.

With a good seat in MCE, the trip is actually pretty tolerable.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:59 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
AA JFK/EWR - HKG (via DFW) $790 4.1 cpm

I am doing this trip as a BA emerald so no eVIP to use but can get mce - what qualifies as a good seat?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:33 pm

Most MCE are great. Even the middle ones. I may prefer a middle MCE over an aisle seat in regular Y...and I'm a big guy.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Upgrades on Fridays are tough. I had a SWU waitlisted since January 20th of this year for flight 137 on Friday, and I didn't get it.

With a good seat in MCE, the trip is actually pretty tolerable.
There are 25 seats currently open in J. MCE was completely full. My seat is officially coded as MCE but is in row 33, so it will be narrow.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Never mind -- found it
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Never mind -- found it
Still bookable on AA.com. What are you trying to book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.