AA: LAX-BDL-NRT-CGK $877 (~3.3cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by zainman
Won't the JL flights only earn 30% RDM?
ahhh you're right. missed that
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
If you book it as the "AA" flight number on JL or CX metal, you still earn EQM's at 100%.

Does that apply to all partners or just CX/JL, more specifically, does that apply to codeshare with Hainan Airlines?

And even for codeshare on CX/JL, redeem miles still earn the partner rates, right? Full rate only applies to EQM?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,BA
Travel booked as an AA flight number and operated by Oneworld/partner airlines will earn AAdvantage base miles and elite qualifying miles, points and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by nyckid
Lax-mia-ord-nrt-cgk-nrt-jfk-dfw-sna $856 11/9-11/12
Just came back from this run. It went uneventful. Update on Jakarta. No need to buy the Visa on Arrival anymore. It's now free to enter Indoensia for tourists for up to 30 days. Also when I left Jakarta on JAL, I was not asked to pay a departure tax this time neither. I was super late checking in, so maybe they forgot?

I tacked on a flight to Bali on Indoneisa AirAsia for $100 to spend the day there. Pretty chill place. Food was extremely inexpensive. Uber was available there and super cheap. You can get around Bali for less than $2 on Uber. Beware of the taxi drivers at the airport. They want $10 just to drive out of the airport into town. Total ripoff. Bali flights were departing and arriving normal. No disruptions from the volcano ash clouds. My flight back to Jakarta coming back was delayed and luckily I still made my international flight. Beware when transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2 on the shuttle bus may take over 30minutes!

If anyone have any questions on a Jakarta mileage run, let me know. I've done this twice now.

I still see similar fares going into 2016.

Last edited by nyckid; Nov 15, 2015 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Great to read! I was there at the beginning of the week, but only stayed in Jakarta. Overall, Jakarta was OK, but once was enough. When returning to Indonesia, I will head to the islands.

Just to confirm, no more VOA and no departure tax either. Also, on the return, JL offered Premium Economy on the Cgk-Nrt leg for $200. No regrets there...domestic First Class in the US legacies has nothing on this Premium Economy product! Safe travels all!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
Great to read! I was there at the beginning of the week, but only stayed in Jakarta. Overall, Jakarta was OK, but once was enough. When returning to Indonesia, I will head to the islands.

Just to confirm, no more VOA and no departure tax either. Also, on the return, JL offered Premium Economy on the Cgk-Nrt leg for $200. No regrets there...domestic First Class in the US legacies has nothing on this Premium Economy product! Safe travels all!
Thanks for this update IncaTrails - questions

1) JL offered the upgrade via what channel? That's not a bad price...
2) I've done this run twice, and both times the NRT-CGK-NRT JL 767 legs were at most 10% full in Y, so plenty of room to spread out. Curious - did you observe similar load factors?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scholity
Thanks for this update IncaTrails - questions

2) I've done this run twice, and both times the NRT-CGK-NRT JL 767 legs were at most 10% full in Y, so plenty of room to spread out. Curious - did you observe similar load factors?
The upgrade was offered at check-in and also overheard another passenger getting the offer as well. So given the loads, I'm assuming that they offer it quite often?

On my Nrt-Cgk, the flight was on a 767 and was pretty full in Y. But this was a one-off as there was a relatively big group of students going to some competition. On the Cgk-Nrt, though, I was on the 777 wherein Y was empty (like you say, at most 10% full), while Prem. Econ had 7 including myself. This also played in for an excellent experience.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP,MAR-LTP;WoH-E;HH-G
Originally Posted by scholity
I can confirm that PEY fare of $200USD is available at the checkin counter at CGK (they even have a little laminated card advertising it) - they'll walk you across the hall to pay at a little window that still issues the little red carbon colored receipts... Load factors on the flights I've been on have been about 50% in economy from my experience.

Even better - I did this upgrade at NRT in the JAL lounge as well for the flight down, interestingly, the " Around $200 USD" quoted by the lounge staff was actually closer to $165 since the exchange rate to 20,000 JPY is currently working in the USD's favor :-)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by klrsmith
I can confirm that PEY fare of $200USD is available at the checkin counter at CGK (they even have a little laminated card advertising it) - they'll walk you across the hall to pay at a little window that still issues the little red carbon colored receipts... Load factors on the flights I've been on have been about 50% in economy from my experience.

Even better - I did this upgrade at NRT in the JAL lounge as well for the flight down, interestingly, the " Around $200 USD" quoted by the lounge staff was actually closer to $165 since the exchange rate to 20,000 JPY is currently working in the USD's favor :-)
When I did this, my 6pm NRT-CGK flight was nearly empty. The 6:45am return was pretty packed. I didn't notice anything on the upgrade to PE for these flights, but I also didn't ask.

I did upgrade on the HND-SFO JAL flight, for the ~$200. It was well worth it. They had a flyer on the checkin counter that offered it.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:04 pm

3.39cpm 24,624 miles $834.80

Jan 21-25

LAX-BOS-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-SNA

I've gotten quite a bit of messages on things to do in CGK. Well, not much...

There's not much in Jakarta. This time I went to Bali, but last time I was in Jakarta I took the Damri Bus (local bus 40,000 rps) into the city. The Damri Bus station is all the way at the end of Terminal 2, 2F. It is a bit tough to find but just follow the signs until it disappears and you will see a passage way to Bus Shuttle Station or something. Take the Damri Bus to "Gambir". Pay attention the bus attendant there yells out "Gambir, Gambir, Gambir" and it will take you right to the National Monument park. You pay on board the bus. The bus pass (smartcard) for TransJakarta (their city bus) is for sale at bus stations for another 40,000 rps with some money loaded on there. I went down to Fatahilla Square and had an iced coffee at Cafe Batavia down in Kota. I walked around the city quite a bit and took the bus to Grand Indonesia Mall to cool down a bit. Even at 86 degrees with humidity the weather app said it felt like 101 degrees. Took the aiport bus from in front of Thamarin City mall (Amaris Hotel) and back to Terminal 2. Google Maps works well there.

Cheaper fares are codeshare flights with Japan Airlines. So you will want to try to fly where Japan Airlines will fly. You probably want to route yourself through multiple domestic hubs first.

Typically fares out of Chicago or DFW are cheapest and coming back through JFK Chicago or DFW are cheapest.

The latest one I done was LAX-MIA-DFW-NRT-CGK-JFK-DFW-SNA The first one I did was LAX-DFW-NRT-CGK-ORD-DFW-SNA

You may want to look to fly to another American hub then fly out of there to NRT. Look for these hubs: MIA, CLT, JFK, BOS, ORD, DFW, PHX, LAX. So, maybe DFW-MIA-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-JFK-ORD-DFW or something like that if you're out of DFW. Of course the idea is to try to find a route that gives you the most miles for the cheapest fares. I would search using Matrix ITA first to see which dates in Jan/Feb would give you the cheapest roundtrip fare from Your Home hub-CGK regardless of connections. Then use those dates and plug it into Google Flights and start getting creative on connecting cities. I prefer connecting in cities that has Admiral Clubs/Centurion Lounges so I can take showers and refresh. It is a long journey. There are 2 lounges you can get into at CGK before departing. You can get in via Priority Pass or may be invited if you are a OW Emerald member. In NRT, if you are Emerald member you may be invited to the JAL First Class lounge as well. There's a couple of sushi chefs there in their lounge. Both the JAL Lounge and the Admirals club in NRT has showers. I have flown via ORD, DFW and JFK. All the Admiral Clubs have showers there as well. Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,

This is great info. Doing this run during Thanksgiving. Will avail the Y20K PE Upgrade.
Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat

Nice! 20k yen makes it just that more enticing.. too bad at CGK it's sold as USD?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frudd38
Nice! 20k yen makes it just that more enticing.. too bad at CGK it's sold as USD?
Nope, its sold as 2.7 million IDR and the charge posted to my CC as $204.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
There are 2 lounges you can get into at CGK before departing. You can get in via Priority Pass or may be invited if you are a OW Emerald member. In NRT, if you are Emerald member you may be invited to the JAL First Class lounge as well.
You will get a pass into one of the CGK lounges if you are Emerald or Sapphire. These appeared to not open until about 4am or so, so don't expect to layover in one of them.

JAL check-in gave me a pass into the CGK Pura Indah lounge due to OWS. I also took a look into the Premiere Lounge via my Diner's Club card. Both lounges have one shower stall that is tiny, and it's already quite humid in the lounges, for what it's worth. The Premier Lounge seemed to have the nicer food and seating options of the two. The Pura Indah lounge was a bit like a dungeon.

Another note: Between the lounges and the gates you have to go through security again. And you can't take liquids through there. So don't buy a coffee and expect to take it on the flight...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:57 pm

There's not much in Jakarta. This time I went to Bali

My last run to CGK, I decided to tack on a trip to East Timor. That was pretty awesome, if a little more logistically challenging. Anyone with a little patience and interested in off-beat countries might consider heading there as well. I really liked it, even if I couldn't tell you what exactly you should do there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.