Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: ORD-SVO $314 IAH-SVO $335 (~10800 V Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL: ORD-SVO $314 IAH-SVO $335 (~10800 V Class)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
SFO-LED - $357 (lower YR than western european destinations).

many other european destinations for $650 from SFO
Lots of choices - from Kiev to Lisbon

Dates are 01/12/15-03/12/15 and 4/20-5/15
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Of course nothing out of DFW
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:40 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by TVSportsGuy
I've tried making sense of the Russian visa rules, but I'm struggling with it.

You can get a tourist visa...but it says you need a hotel reservation and a receipt from a Russian based tour company. Has anyone done this recently? The hotel reservation isn't an issue...but I have no idea where to start on the tour company side of things. And if I do this trip, I'd just like to wander around...is that even possible?
I just did this on December 2nd. It is annoying, but you can email your hotel once res. is confirmed and they will provide you with the certification of stay thingy(forget what its actually called) I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and could PM you the form if you are interested. Just know that even if your hotel res is refundable they will charge your credit card a fee for certification if you do not stay at hotel, if you stay it is free.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I just did this on December 2nd. It is annoying, but you can email your hotel once res. is confirmed and they will provide you with the certification of stay thingy(forget what its actually called) I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and could PM you the form if you are interested. Just know that even if your hotel res is refundable they will charge your credit card a fee for certification if you do not stay at hotel, if you stay it is free.
The cheapest invitation letter that I found was issued by one of the airport hotels.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Is that all you need? So if I book a hotel for a couple days in Moscow, go through the right channels to get a visa, and get the certification thing from the hotel, I'm good? I don't need to contact a tour operator?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat blah blah
You need a visa, and in order to get a tourist visa you need any invitation. Invitation (and visa sponsorship) can be obtained for a fee from multiple different tourist companies/groups out there or a hotel itself (unless you know someone who lives in Russia who would be willing to invite you ). If you are visiting russia and are not staying in a hotel, you are required to register with the local police precinct wherever you are staying/traveling.
Be aware that obtaining a Russian visa is not the simplest of tasks--it costs some $ and is a buerocratic process--not always the easiest of things... having just gone through the process myself last year. Allot yourself at least 3 months to make sure the visa and all documents can be processed in time
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver
Originally Posted by paramenace
You need a visa, and in order to get a tourist visa you need any invitation. Invitation (and visa sponsorship) can be obtained for a fee from multiple different tourist companies/groups out there or a hotel itself (unless you know someone who lives in Russia who would be willing to invite you ). If you are visiting russia and are not staying in a hotel, you are required to register with the local police precinct wherever you are staying/traveling.
Be aware that obtaining a Russian visa is not the simplest of tasks--it costs some $ and is a buerocratic process--not always the easiest of things... having just gone through the process myself last year. Allot yourself at least 3 months to make sure the visa and all documents can be processed in time
I looked at the site mentioned earlier in this thread and it looks like its a $200-300 process. So even though the tickets are 300-400, its not really that cheap, with the visa costs.

Seems like the best way to go might be spending a little more on the ticket to do a straight mileage run. I found some for $450-500 and with just a few hours on the ground in Moscow. That would mean never leaving the airport, and within 24 hours, it sounds like it would be visa free.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:27 am

Does an HKSAR passport holder avoid the hassle of obtaining a Russian tourist visa if the stay is under 14 days?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by mrkenneth
Does an HKSAR passport holder avoid the hassle of obtaining a Russian tourist visa if the stay is under 14 days?
Yes, up to 14 days visa-free with a Hong Kong passport
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by anbhc
From cibtvisas.com

Visa exempt for a stay of up to 24 hours. The traveller must:
Not be traveling to or from Belarus
Not be transitting through Krasnodar, Khabarovsk, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk or Vladivostok
Transit within the same airport
Hold a passport valid for period of intended stay with one blank visa page
Hold proof of sufficient funds
Hold proof of onward/return flights
Hold all documents required for the next destination
Hold visa for next country where applicable
Confirm with their airline that boarding will be permitted without a visa
Should the traveller not meet the above criteria, a visa may be required. Please contact CIBTvisas for further advice at 800-929-2428
Has ANYBODY had experience with this?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:57 am

Found a good fare that works IAH-AMS-SVO, returning LED-AMS-IAH. To do this out of, say, PHX, I would have to purchase separate positioning flights PHX-IAH-PHX, right? There's no way to fold those in to the price? Those flights to IAH are about as much as the IAH-Russia flights!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm seeing pretty good fares (as low as $568) ex-SEA as well, connecting through SFO and AMS.

Visa costs (plus potential economic instability & Putin's Russia) make me a bit wary. OTOH, a tanked ruble should mean the USD would be stretched pretty far.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:11 am

Looks like they pulled the $1 fare and it's now $101 or $50.50 each way
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:45 pm

Fare looking gone for me. Seeing $700ish from IAH
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Temedar
Yes, up to 14 days visa-free with a Hong Kong passport
Thanks for the confirmation! Looks like it will be easier and less expensive to apply for an HKSAR passport than a Russian visa. There should be no problem applying for an HKSAR passport in the US without visiting Hong Kong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.