Wiki Posts
Search

QR (One world) & UA: WAS->KRT 4.8cpm

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
QR (One world) & UA: WAS->KRT 4.8cpm

I noticed this but haven't played with it, but found $800-850 fares from Washington to Khartoum (KRT), Sudan, on both Qatar (OneWorld) and United flights in January & February 2015. This is 4.8cpm. I do not intend to proceed myself, but thought I would post.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
Intriguing. But add to the cost US$151 for a visa, plus the necessity of arranging a sponsor (can be your hotel) and a visa processing time of 4-6 weeks. http://www.sudanembassy.org/index.ph...d=128&Itemid=4

The visa cost isn't really the issue, it is the 4-6 weeks processing time that is the killer. Unless you hare two passports.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Looks like this is a good fare for the rest of central Africa also. Nice find! Add some $$ and it's on DL.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Flinders
Intriguing. But add to the cost US$151 for a visa, plus the necessity of arranging a sponsor (can be your hotel) and a visa processing time of 4-6 weeks. http://www.sudanembassy.org/index.ph...d=128&Itemid=4

The visa cost isn't really the issue, it is the 4-6 weeks processing time that is the killer. Unless you hare two passports.
You can transit without visa if you leave in 6 hours. The problem is the rule states it needs to be a 3rd country, but based upon actual experiences that might not be the case.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:45 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flinders

You can arrange a visa on arrival at Khartoum, but it costs an additional $100-$200 for the permit fees, but saves having to send your passport off for several weeks. Also there is a $50 'registration' fee you must pay within 3 days of arrival.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by hauteboy
You can arrange a visa on arrival at Khartoum, but it costs an additional $100-$200 for the permit fees, but saves having to send your passport off for several weeks. Also there is a $50 'registration' fee you must pay within 3 days of arrival.
Good information. Sounds like they are really encouraging foreign visitors...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mbenz
Good information. Sounds like they are really encouraging foreign visitors...
KRT has very little interest but 250kms north you have one of the most fascinating archeological site in the world... Meroë !!!
Spend one night there and walk around the pyramids at sunset and sunrise with just you and the desert around and you'll never go to Egypt anymore
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by FFlyerCDG
KRT has very little interest but 250kms north you have one of the most fascinating archeological site in the world... Meroë !!!
Spend one night there and walk around the pyramids at sunset and sunrise with just you and the desert around and you'll never go to Egypt anymore
Just checked it out, -- looked fascinating. How did you feel regarding personal safety?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just checked it out, -- looked fascinating. How did you feel regarding personal safety?
It is !!

Accommodation around is almost non existent and you have to sleep in tents close to the site. A fascinating experience...

No problem at all with security.
Was there two years ago and had no problem at all. And I guess that's still the same.
Sudanese are very friendly and Sudan isn't South Sudan.
Probably safer than certain parts of Paris at night
Politic is one thing and the reality of a country is a completely different thing.
Same as Iran... Loved the country and the population. ^^
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
One can start from LAX and get it for $803 RT.

I am tempted to go for it.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
One can start from LAX and get it for $803 RT.

I am tempted to go for it.
Great! I'd just bear in mind that not only is the visa processing very long, if you have an American passport, its also far from assured that you will get it.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
KRT has very little interest
It has the meeting of the Niles! It's actually a fascinating, pleasant and laid-back city. And very very safe.

Highly recommended! If you can get a visa.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
It has the meeting of the Niles! It's actually a fascinating, pleasant and laid-back city. And very very safe.

Highly recommended! If you can get a visa.
If you have time, money or miles to go there from KRT, ASM is a MUCH nicer city !!!
You really have the feeling you're in Italy, back to the early 50's.
Nothing changed and the architecture is just incredible ^

Some African cities are real gems but safety might be a problem from time to time

But NO problem at all neither with KRT nor ASM !
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by danielm
Great! I'd just bear in mind that not only is the visa processing very long, if you have an American passport, its also far from assured that you will get it.
It looks like getting a visa is a time consuming process rather than an impossible process. I will make it work. If I still dont get the visa then I can get a full refund from United as I have done for other episodes of visa being denied.

If you have time, money or miles to go there from KRT, ASM is a MUCH nicer city !!!
You really have the feeling you're in Italy, back to the early 50's.
Nothing changed and the architecture is just incredible ^

Some African cities are real gems but safety might be a problem from time to time

But NO problem at all neither with KRT nor ASM !
Thanks. Any other suggestions/recommendations for a 7 day trip?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
It looks like getting a visa is a time consuming process rather than an impossible process. I will make it work. If I still dont get the visa then I can get a full refund from United as I have done for other episodes of visa being denied.

Thanks. Any other suggestions/recommendations for a 7 day trip?
7 days in Sudan ???
Seems a bit long

Or spend extra time in the desert.

BUT never ever go south of KRT.
Never been to the coast except to Port Sudan. No interest !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.