Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: Lax-scl/eze $439 ai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It doesn't mean they aren't booking it! Or acting on it. I tried to find something near DTW but no luck.
Would you consider positioning to LAX?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by koopas
I'm wondering why folks are not jumping on this fare, as this thread is not exactly exploding with activity. Is it because of the high entrance/visa fees for US citizens? I'm seeing regular fares 2 or 3 times this special deal. What's going on?
I haven't researched the schedule but I'm assuming that like practically all North America to Deep South America flights, AM's MEX - EZE/SCL services are red-eyes.

There's almost no CPM low enough to make me want to book any mileage run that involves two 7+ hour redeyes with no chance of upgrade.

(I'm assuming there is no way to upgrade AM metal)

Give me a way to upgrade this or fly during daylight hours and I'd be jumping on this. But in coach? NFW.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Actually I stand corrected I will gladly book Y redeye MRs if the CPM is such that buying 4 seats on an A330/A340 or B747 still makes it a good deal (so as to be able to make the poor man's sleeper seat by flipping up armrests)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by koopas
Would you consider positioning to LAX?
That just bumps up the cost too much (both time and $$). Too bad because I really want to go to SCL.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Cant seem to find anything out of IAD to those listed (chile, argentina) how are yall coming up with a fare price...iad doesnt fly to those cities when you plug in iad?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Gosh, I think this is a really good fare. I travel to EZE quite often and have a trip booked for Oct/Nov for $1100 +/- and would love to see a UA Match. 777 from MEX to EZE and its available for my dates at $439 ai.. Wow, Im thinking..
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by singtx
Cant seem to find anything out of IAD to those listed (chile, argentina) how are yall coming up with a fare price...iad doesnt fly to those cities when you plug in iad?
KVS&Expertflyer are always very useful when short in time and looking for mistake fares. The fare is available from other cities in east cost like MIA.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:25 pm

Try Kayak when searching ex-IAD (or other cities not showing @ AM.com)....the fares will show and you can choose from a number of 3rd party sites to book....
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Gosh, I think this is a really good fare. I travel to EZE quite often and have a trip booked for Oct/Nov for $1100 +/- and would love to see a UA Match. 777 from MEX to EZE and its available for my dates at $439 ai.. Wow, Im thinking..
I'd definitely jump on a UA match as well. One can dream!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Not as many people want to fly to South America as to Asia or Europe on here in my experience. Also, the fees as mentioned don't help either. Plus, AM can't be credited to UA or US or AA, only DL, which simply isn't as good for crediting miles to as the other three in the opinions of most, and then only at 75%.
Bingo! I agree 100%...the problem is the fact that UA and AA aren't matching and fewer people are interested in collecting more SkyPesos. Also, there is the issue of entrance fees (except LIM) which really need to be calculated into the cost of the ticket, thus bringing the cpm down....it's too much of a hassle since a number of domestic MRs are consistently down in the 3 cpm range depending on your city of origin...for example, I can almost always book a PDX-MCI one way on UA for $115, route via SEA and IAH, get around 3 cpm, and potential upgrades to F.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Entrance fee of $160 for Argentina is good for 10 years and exceeds the life of your Passport. For one whom travels to this area often will find this a valuable MR. As you can go in and out quickly have great places to stay and go home with some work or tourism accomplished. Not a true MR. But heck some of us like to do an overnight in a city when the travel is so Far. $439 for 15K miles I am a taker..
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Use ITA, enter IAD as departure, SCL, EZE, LIM as destination, AM+ in the advanced search options both ways. Do a month long search choose maybe 1-5 for number of days.

You'll find a number of dates in the $400's for Oct and Nov. Appears you may have to overnight, or do a loooong layover in Mexico city, but the price is still a very good one.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Bingo! I agree 100%...the problem is the fact that UA and AA aren't matching and fewer people are interested in collecting more SkyPesos. Also, there is the issue of entrance fees (except LIM) which really need to be calculated into the cost of the ticket, thus bringing the cpm down....it's too much of a hassle since a number of domestic MRs are consistently down in the 3 cpm range depending on your city of origin...for example, I can almost always book a PDX-MCI one way on UA for $115, route via SEA and IAH, get around 3 cpm, and potential upgrades to F.
No entrance fee for Peru, but a departure tax of $31 at Lima International.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:20 pm

I haven't found something out of ATL that would work on a weekend, as all options return midday Monday at the earliest. Wish I could use it!

Layovers in MEX are huge (overnight or 12+ hrs) with the ATL schedule.

Last edited by nfg05; Sep 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jaymar01
No entrance fee for Peru, but a departure tax of $31 at Lima International.
That's old information. All airlines have included it to their tickets since 2011 so you don't have to pay anything at the airport!

BTW, has someone figured out a way to use Argentinian currency restrictions for improving MRs? This might be more useful issue than the reciprocity fees..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.