UA: Philadelphia Rail ZFV-LAX $258 ai 4.6 cpm 4 segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: Philadelphia Rail ZFV-LAX $258 ai 4.6 cpm 4 segments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: CO PL, DL PM
United.com also offers some impressive ZFV-EWR roundtrip fares. Today's departures come out to $1002 r/t in B class (over $1500 in Y).

Amtrak, of course, is offering the same itinerary for $108.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bionic Program and all other
kiosk

I was told to use self check in kiosk at airport for both amtrak part and flight part if I want the miles to be credited and to avoid agents. At kiosk supposingly both parts amtrak and flight will come up and you can check in. Does it make sense? I dont know how true that is.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Unless that's the point!

Get rebooked in full Y for the next flight and actually get an upgrade!
This has happened to me a couple of times (on different routes). Not only did I get the upgrade, but also the bonus EQMs.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 am

No, they know, or at least will know in a couple days. Amtrak conductor collects a portion of your paper ticket then those would be processed later on - that's how Amtrak accounts for Amtrak reward points for their own loyalty program (for eligible tickets). Its a real risk if you skip the Amtrak segment then the airline has grounds to cancel the remainder of your flight segments.

Originally Posted by DCAmateur
I'm just curious how they could know if a passenger hadn't ridden the train. At least from my recollection, Amtrak doesn't scan tickets/boarding passes. So long as either a paper ticket has been issued or a boarding pass printed, how could Amtrak know whether you had taken the trip?

Now, it might be a problem to show up for check-in Newark and have an agent discover, if possible, that the train is delayed and has yet to arrive.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:02 am

Amtrak and UA

I am a newbie but would like to share my experience regarding Amtrak code share. I happened to have a ticket booked on Amtrak before the UA/CO reservation consolidation. My ticket had a CO record locator and it took half a hour for the Philadelphia ticket agent even to find my reservation. So, if you have a ZFV-EWR ticket issued before March, allow plenty of time at 30th street station. Also, the mileage credit for the Amtrak portion is awfully slow.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I just bought this from LAX-EWR-ZFV-EWR-LAX end of April for $270 ai and used a $175 UA E Cert.. Went through alright. Is the seems like E+ seat maps on the 757 look weird ( just spoken to UA its an old CO plane and E+ is the exit rows only ) anyone have experience in how the ticketing system to amtrack works with UA tix? How do you use the air train, do you have to pay or its included in your tix?? Thanks and Safe Travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I just bought this from LAX-EWR-ZFV-EWR-LAX end of April for $270 ai and used a $175 UA E Cert.. Went through alright. Is the seems like E+ seat maps on the 757 look weird ( just spoken to UA its an old CO plane and E+ is the exit rows only ) anyone have experience in how the ticketing system to amtrack works with UA tix? How do you use the air train, do you have to pay or its included in your tix?? Thanks and Safe Travels
Airtrain is free. But you'll need the Amtrak ticket to clear through the Amtrak gates. The $5 fee for that part of the station is covered in your ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Airtrain is free. But you'll need the Amtrak ticket to clear through the Amtrak gates. The $5 fee for that part of the station is covered in your ticket.
To follow this up I think you may need to receive the actual Amtrak tix from an Amtrak ticket counter, you can't get the ticket from a an e-ticket machine. And there are not always (if ever) amtrak ticket agents at the EWR station.

A few weeks ago I was on BDL-EWR-PHL where the EWR-PHL flt was cancelled. Rather than accept their rebooking of noon the next day I said can't you get me back via amtrak. The UA agent gave me some voucher but when I called Amtrak they said that is not an official tix and I would need to see an Amtrak agent to transfer that voucher to an official ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
thanks OP for posting this. I have always seen flight signs at 30th street station, but never really thought to look into this. just tried to add ZFV as my home airport, but no love from auto-fill and it won't resolve when I save. US Scareways just doesn't do it for me, but am getting tired of the drive up to EWR. I'll have to remember this as an option.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless that's the point!

Get rebooked in full Y for the next flight and actually get an upgrade!
Good luck with that. Have you not read this thread:

SHARES REBOOK

CO has invested more resources into making sure that a pax doesn't get a nickle's worth of EQM's that they didn't pay for. Yet they can't process an UG to save themselves.....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hobo13
Good luck with that. Have you not read this thread:

SHARES REBOOK

CO has invested more resources into making sure that a pax doesn't get a nickle's worth of EQM's that they didn't pay for. Yet they can't process an UG to save themselves.....
Utlimately you don't get the extra miles (in most cases, though not all ), but at least in terms of upgrade priority you show as full Y and jump to the top of the list.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:43 pm
Suspended

I just bought this from LAX-EWR-ZFV-EWR-LAX end of April for $270 ai and used a $175 UA E Cert..
Interesting. I was always told that you couldn't use e-certs/travel vouchers for trips that involve non-UA segments (i.e., Amtrak). I've tried in the past and was rejected.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:17 am

To play it safe you can take the train from Metropark, NJ to EWR and hand your ticket to the conductor.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Utlimately you don't get the extra miles (in most cases, though not all ), but at least in terms of upgrade priority you show as full Y and jump to the top of the list.
Depends how quickly SHARES changes your Y back to an L! If it happens before the flight.....

In the olden days (a month ago), you pretty much always got the Y-class bonus. Been there, done that, time and time again.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hobo13
Depends how quickly SHARES changes your Y back to an L! If it happens before the flight.....

In the olden days (a month ago), you pretty much always got the Y-class bonus. Been there, done that, time and time again.
But even last week I was rebooked into full F from O and got the miles and COS.

True, yesterday I was rebooked in Y and went back to T before I even took off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.