Wiki Posts
Search

Good Deal Premium Economy Fares 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Good Deal Premium Economy Fares 2011

Hi all,

having been flamed a few years ago for posting a premium economy deal in the premium fares forum, which should be reserved to C and F, I will start a thread for 2011, even though we already are quite advanced in the year.

Please note that here I consider Premium Economy a separate cabin with a specific seat and service (a la BA WT+, Qantas or AF PV, but not UA E+ or KL & DL Economy Comfort).

I am starting this thread with an offer on voyageprive.com with Openskies which starts today and will last 7 days (or less if it sells out): $1519 in Biz Seat EWR-ORY and $1199 in Biz Seat IAD-ORY. Biz Seat is not really a business class as the seat does not recline that much (the real business class on OpenSkies if Biz Bed, no promo on VoyagePrive). Not sure whether it qualifies for miles/points, as far as I know OpenSkies, a BA subsidiary, only credits to BA's Executive Club.

I think the IAD fare is a good deal (seems OpenSkies has a hard time starting there), the EWR offer is not so great.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
AZ to Beijing

Copy my recent post from economy deals.

-------------------------------------
AZ's current fares to PEK in premium economy (Classica Plus) are sometimes a good bargain given that the majority of economy prices are restricted and with PE at a lower price you get full flex But be sure to check your rules before booking, some fares do not allow no show.

To see how good is your buy see the full flex Y fares from PRG/ WAW (more than USD 6,000+++ for Y compared to USD 1,500 ai in A from many European cities)
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:57 pm
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Originally Posted by Keter
But be sure to check your rules before booking, some fares do not allow no show.
So what will they do? Pick you up from home and force you to board?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If they sent round a chauffeur to bring me to the airport, I certainly wouldn't complain!!!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJO
So what will they do? Pick you up from home and force you to board?
Your ticket has no residual value if no-show.@:-) Many tickets have residual value, less penalty, if you don't use it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver
Are there any good threads that have good deals for people originating flight from DOH or DXB to the U.S.? I am interested in trying to find a decent PE fare from the Middle East to NA.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Note AF Premium Voyageur fares US-Asia shown in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...l#post16777448
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Nothing amazing, but QF US-SYD is not bad ($2700 rtn) up until Aug 31. Link Probably better for those trying to upgrade with points to J.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:26 am

Always trying to get to SYD huh Seanp7? Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by seanp7
Nothing amazing, but QF US-SYD is not bad ($2700 rtn) up until Aug 31. Link Probably better for those trying to upgrade with points to J.
But it's $2700++ right? And that's only from LAX. Not thaaaat good, is it?!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by nomad1974
But it's $2700++ right? And that's only from LAX. Not thaaaat good, is it?!
No, hence the "nothing amazing". Would you like to post a deal you've found?

The ++ is $129. The usual QF add on's apply for other cities:

Atlanta + 400 round trip
Boston + $330 round trip
Chicago + $270 round trip
Dallas Fort Worth + $100 round trip
Denver + $240 round trip
Detroit + 270 round trip
Houston + 240 round trip
Las Vegas + $130 round trip
Miami + $330 round trip
Newark + $280 round trip
Orlando + $330 round trip
Portland OR + $180 round trip
San Diego + $110 round trip
Seattle + $210 round trip
St Louis + $270 round trip
Washington DC + $400 round trip

It's an okay deal if you have QF points to upgrade to J, (again, as I mentioned), especially given paid J is expensive on this route.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:48 pm
Suspended

This is somewhat off topic, but I am always wary of mileage upgrades. What happens when you have bought a ridiculously priced PE ticket (for a product which is at best marginally better than whY) and then QF tells you that there is no upgrade availability? Cancelling at that stage exposes you to penalties.

Also is this (i.e. upgrades) the best use of QF miles? Would it perhaps be better to use miles only for an award ticket (of course QF will ding you for their hefty fuel surcharges and pretty soon, Julia's Carbon Offsets as well).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:08 pm

Fair points. It is a gamble, especially without status. I much prefer BA's MFU system that confirms as you book than waiting until the day of departure.

Regarding use of miles - LAX-SYD rtn in J is 192,000. PE to J is 45,000 each way. Whether that's a good use of QFF points or not is subjective and probably discussed on the QF forum.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by FedUp2
This is somewhat off topic, but I am always wary of mileage upgrades. What happens when you have bought a ridiculously priced PE ticke ...
As a note, DL is the same. If you pay for the M fare you MUST go ahead and get the upgrades (at least on the long legs) right then else you are playing a suckers game.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

TK (Turkish) has some attractive PE fares ex-USA to Europe/Middle East/Asia thru early/mid 2012. Fares book into A class, which accrues 100-200%, depending on your program of choice. For routes that do not have TK PE, it books into Y which can theoretically be upgraded with a *A upgrade award.

Generally speaking, applicable routes must include at least one PE segment. For example:

ORD-IST(Y), IST-HKG (A) $1530 ai r/t.
JFK-IST(A), IST-TLV (Y) $1213 ai r/t.
LAX-IST(A), IST-HKG (A) $1600 ai r/t.

One-way fares are available but not priced at 50% of r/t fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.