UA: YYZ-BKK $913 ai 10/29-10/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: YYZ-BKK $913 ai 10/29-10/31

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Just booked YVR-LAX-NRT-BKK-NRT-ORD-YVR on UA for 923.00 a.i. out Oct 4, in Oct 6. Total miles 20306.
I tried UA.com and came up $2000 every date I tried. How $921?
Old May 12, 2010, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by DullesJason
$902.80 on Oct 20/21 if you're willing to take 881 direct ORD-BKK.
get 881 broken up ORD-NRT-BKK and you get more miles and it also clears upgrades for each segment... even though this fare is not upgradable you can sometimes upgrade.^
Old May 13, 2010, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mtensioners
Huntk: newer than you I have never done an MR. I have been paying for miles but last 2 years been rough to stay *E from YYZ. will be at 42000 EQMs end of May. Schedule slows drastically. Have 1 FRA and 1 more Hnl and a few MIA this year. I am interested but dont know how to book and schedule it. need lessons or guidance.
mtensioners: As a newbie, if you are willing and able, why don't you attend the "Chicago DO" on the weekend of October 16 & 17 this year. Even though I have somewhat of an idea of what I am doing, I'm still taking the free courses offered by fellow MRers, including some of "famous" ones like the "pudding guy". There is a link on this forum, but if you look under Mileage Run Discussions I'm sure you see the link somewhere near the top of the postings list. Registration opens today (May 13th) according to the postings.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:23 am
Original Poster

I tried UA.com and came up $2000 every date I tried. How $921?
I also had the same issue with .bomb. In general it's a terrible web site to use. No matter what I did it kept pricing out a much, much higher price than I know the real fare is.

I then switched to expedia.com (not the Canadian version, I used the U.S. site and still came up with a better fare-barring the exchange rate difference) You will be able to find the fare for around $906 USD ai (all in). I used ITA software (www.itasoftware.com) to first price out the route and ensure that all segments are 100% miles earning ("Tango Plus" in Air Canada speak) Then I would book the exact same flight segments on Expedia.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Chicago DO: October 16 & 17, 2010 link

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...th-2010-a.html
Old May 13, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've been flying to BKK from YYZ with my wife since 1986 (usually for the last few years with Cathay), so we're not exactly newbies at this, but I've run into a stumbling block. We want to fly Air Canada non-stop from YYZ to NRT where we'll connect with another flight to BKK. The ITA site shows that we have a choice between connecting at Narita with either United or All Nippon Airways. We'd prefer All Nippon because for one reason the layover in Tokyo is only 2 hours 25 min. versus waiting 3 hours 30 min. for the United flight. However, every time I try the Air Canada site, it always gives me the United option "only". Can anyone give me an idea as to why? It doesn't make sense to me that they want to give us the flight that has the longer transit time.
Old May 13, 2010, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by huntk
mtensioners: As a newbie, if you are willing and able, why don't you attend the "Chicago DO" on the weekend of October 16 & 17 this year. Even though I have somewhat of an idea of what I am doing, I'm still taking the free courses offered by fellow MRers, including some of "famous" ones like the "pudding guy". There is a link on this forum, but if you look under Mileage Run Discussions I'm sure you see the link somewhere near the top of the postings list. Registration opens today (May 13th) according to the postings.
huntk
are there earlier MR learning sessions than October. I want to do 2 MR's this year and your prices are low and doable for me on time and price.
The Chicago in October would be a good lesson but I would like to start now and learn. I have read the MR notes but they seem disjointed.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
The one thing I'd like to point out in regards of the price difference is that Air Canada provides power outlets in Y - something United doesn't if I'm not mistaken. This could be worth the extra couple of bucks if your laptop doesn't hold more than 20 hours of power.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:29 pm

if this originates out of YYZ could I use an SWU as *E for this or is it all UA metal?
Old May 15, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

if this originates out of YYZ could I use an SWU as *E for this or is it all UA metal?
Only the first leg is on AC, the rest are UA. You could use the upgrade for the first leg only, but not on a SWU (they are virtually useless). You could use a SSWU with an "L" fare, which is the routing I gave.

There is an earlier mileage run seminar, also in ORD, in August, but it is full and has a huge wait list. I will post the link.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Run Seminar in August, Link

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...t-forming.html
Old May 16, 2010, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by huntk
mtensioners: don't mistake me for someone who knows what they are actually doing: there are enough of those on this site without me. I'm very new (4 months) at this whole MR process. I do know this: the number of segments can never be too much....
I have to dispute your statement that "the number of segments can never be too much."

First of all, adding segments doesn't always add many miles -- you have to check the math.

And then, in general, the greater the number of segments, the greater the chance of misconnects -- which can completely mess up your seemingly well-laid plans. This is especially true with international itineraries.

And this run (given its overall distance) is clearly a mileage run rather than a segment run! (Segment runners, obviously, tend to focus on cheap itineraries composed of short segments.)

How is Bangkok for tourists these days? The news media make it sound scary. (Of course if it's a "pure" mileage run and you're not even leaving the airport, I suppose you won't encounter any rioters.)
Old May 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
How is Bangkok for tourists these days? The news media make it sound scary.
I spoke to my friend this morning. If you are not near the 1 sq. km area where the unrest is, and have no need to go through that area, you would have little evidence that anything is happening. The media has no interest in showing a shopping mall 3 km away that is business as usual, a bar scene 4 km away that is business as usual, etc.

UA 881 from NRT to BKK went out full Sunday night. BKK airport has no irregular operations.

I'm waiting for fares to come down but I'll be disappointed, I think. Airlines are smart enough not to kneejerk with lower fares when there is still high demand for travel to BKK.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:26 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I'm waiting for fares to come down but I'll be disappointed, I think. Airlines are smart enough not to kneejerk with lower fares when there is still high demand for travel to BKK.
+1, also still waiting for the Euro to crash so my favorite single malts will become more affordable again.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I spoke to my friend this morning. If you are not near the 1 sq. km area where the unrest is, and have no need to go through that area, you would have little evidence that anything is happening. The media has no interest in showing a shopping mall 3 km away that is business as usual, a bar scene 4 km away that is business as usual, etc.
Plus the protesters have no quarrels with tourists and are relatively friendly. I'd just avoid getting in between them and the government though, so yes staying away from the protesters camp is definitely a good idea. Unfortunately that area is in the middle of everything, and if they shut down the mass transit system due to the protests it becomes incredibly inconvenient to get around. Unless you're experienced with the city it might not be a good idea to go there now for your first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.