Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downtown hotel help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Downtown hotel help

I will be traveling to Chicago mid-August with SO on leisure trip (kids away at camp, need to get out of town ourselves).

My employer has negotiated rates at the Conrad, Ritz-Carlton and Sofitel for $180/night. I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on which one would be best given the level playing field price-wise. Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LINK>>
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You might check Hotwire also. Plenty of 4-4.5 star hotels going for considerably less than that, depending on your dates of course.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Nice article about RC here. If you're chrome & glass & flatscreen type people you may not like it's "classic elegance".
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I'd stay at Conrad if I had to pick out of those three. Otherwise i'd shop on my own and stay at a SPG property or Hyatt.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Sofitel and Ritz are the nicest on the list. Ritz is a little more formal, but the rooms are a little older. Sofitel is newer and has a more festive atomosphere and EXCELLENT food. I would likely select the sofitel. I would NOT stay at the Conrad.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by halothane
I'd stay at Conrad if I had to pick out of those three. Otherwise i'd shop on my own and stay at a SPG property or Hyatt.
Have you ever stayed at Conrad Chicago ? Or you think Conrad is nice generally ? I had been to Conrad Hong Kong as well as Conrad Chicago, what a surprise ! A huge difference ! It is 6 stars property vs 4 stars property !

Conrad Chicago is just a nicer Hilton, no lounge, no free breakfast as Hilton gold (they only gave me 3 pastries as continental not even warm to serve), so so service, not so good view from the room especially if your room face north, as it is mostly blocked by the much taller marriott next door. It is at a good location though only if you like shopping.

If you also look at the rates for Conrad Chicago, it can be as cheap as $150 best available rate, compare to Conrad Hong Kong, never go down to $300 even when they are not busy. A good hotel never lower their price like RC.

Out of the three, I would defiantely go with RC.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
When we go to Chicago, I choose a hotel not only based on price, but on location for what we plan to do. Cab fares can add up quickly, not to mention meals. If you stay at the Sofitel, their Executive Lunch menu offering in the Cafe de Architects is quite good
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The Ritz (along with the Peninsula and Four Seasons) has consistently been rated among the best hotels in the country. Given the rate, of the three, I would think there would be no question where to stay. All are within a few blocks of each other.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The Ritz (along with the Peninsula and Four Seasons) has consistently been rated among the best hotels in the country. Given the rate, of the three, I would think there would be no question where to stay. All are within a few blocks of each other.
The Park Hyatt and Sofitel would be forth and fifth and it falls off after there. The Conrad is really more of a dressed up Hilton, nothing like other Conrads that I have seen.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by mktozd
The Park Hyatt and Sofitel would be forth and fifth and it falls off after there. The Conrad is really more of a dressed up Hilton, nothing like other Conrads that I have seen.
IIRC, the Conrad's previous incarnation was a Méridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.