Wiki Posts
Search

$75 parking ticket for "Parking under viaduct" bah

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
$75 parking ticket for "Parking under viaduct" bah

I was down near UIC for a New Years Eve Party. Parking was scarce, but I thought I found a spot under this overpass. That ended up being a mistake, and I guess I'm not the only one who didn't realize it. There were about 15 cars parked there. This was one some side street with little traffic.

I just wonder why they make this a $75 offense. It's weak that it costs as much as a speeding ticket.

No signs
Rant off
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to park in the city, it's totally worth it to know all the rules because parking ticket fines are steep.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
It's weak that it costs as much as a speeding ticket.
Someone has to pay for Daley's projects to improve the city. Your proceeds will go to a cause.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
I try to avoid parking whenever possible...ESPECIALLY on New Years. Heading back from my friends party in Rogers Park we drove past at least 4 or 5 cars that were totally mauled from the night before. I find it amusing how its really hard to get a speeding/moving violation ticket on city streets, but parking tickets...whoah.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fines need to be relatively steep, otherwise people would park illegally all the time.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:31 am

THey can charge whatever they want for parking fines it seems, they do fluctuate depending on whether or not you are inside the "Loop" or not.

They are fast as well, like they have some strange special powers...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
THey can charge whatever they want for parking fines it seems, they do fluctuate depending on whether or not you are inside the "Loop" or not.

They are fast as well, like they have some strange special powers...
Just be glad that you weren't nabbed by the Lincoln Park Pirates.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by UNITED959
The fines need to be relatively steep, otherwise people would park illegally all the time.
Okay, but see OP's remark about lack of signs. Is "parking under a viaduct" something that's obviously illegal? What special sub-section of Chicago Municipal Code do you have to read to find this out? The OP seems to have made a good-faith effort to park, but was nabbed anyway. It isn't the same as willfully taking a handicapped space, or parking in front of a fire hydrant.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Okay, but see OP's remark about lack of signs. Is "parking under a viaduct" something that's obviously illegal? What special sub-section of Chicago Municipal Code do you have to read to find this out? The OP seems to have made a good-faith effort to park, but was nabbed anyway. It isn't the same as willfully taking a handicapped space, or parking in front of a fire hydrant.
You are absolutely correct, we're not being very helpful. The ticket itself explains why it's a $75 offense, i.e., what the particular offense was (in plain English) and the infraction number (the "special sub-section" to which you refer). If, e.g., it was for parking in a no parking zone, and there were no signs, the OP should fight it in traffic court. I'd get down there with my little camera and take pictures of the lack of signs.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I've tried that before and failed.

I parked my motorcycle within (maybe) 15 feet of a fire hydrant, but this fire hydrant did not have a yellow strip nor was there a yellow line on the curb surrounding the fire hydrant.

Down the street, there were fire hydrants that were properly identified.

I took photos printed them out, etc.

Still got the ticket. (then again I contested by mail)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was successful once. It was right after one of those enormous Chicago blizzards and I was parked by a meter outside Union Station (just long enough to run in and meet a train). I got back outside to find a ticket. Only problem was that the meter was completely covered with snow, being buried in the middle of a snowbank. I took a picture and sent it in with the request to have the ticket voided. It was.

In the case we're discussing, there are many situations where it is simply understood that you can't park and there are no signs - like the middle of an intersection or across a crosswalk, for example. I suspect that the answer if this ticket is contested would be "you can't park under viaducts, period. Sort of like the "you can't drive a truck on boulevards" law that is seldom signposted. I often wonder how many people even know when they're on a boulevard as opposed to a street or avenue!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I was successful once. It was right after one of those enormous Chicago blizzards and I was parked by a meter outside Union Station (just long enough to run in and meet a train). I got back outside to find a ticket. Only problem was that the meter was completely covered with snow, being buried in the middle of a snowbank. I took a picture and sent it in with the request to have the ticket voided. It was.

In the case we're discussing, there are many situations where it is simply understood that you can't park and there are no signs - like the middle of an intersection or across a crosswalk, for example. I suspect that the answer if this ticket is contested would be "you can't park under viaducts, period. Sort of like the "you can't drive a truck on boulevards" law that is seldom signposted. I often wonder how many people even know when they're on a boulevard as opposed to a street or avenue!
They have those pretty signs that say, "Chicago's Boulevards."
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
wow a speeding ticket that's less than 75? All of them I have recieved were in the $200 range.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by party_boy
wow a speeding ticket that's less than 75? All of them I have recieved were in the $200 range.
I've received 3 speeding tickets in my life, and all of them were less than $100. Two of the three were in the Chicago suburb of Villa Park.

If you want cheap parking tickets, try Sycamore, IL. A meter violation will cost you 25 cents. Meter rates are one penny for 12 minutes, a nickel for an hour, and a big fat dime will get you two hours.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by party_boy
Too much partying? PARKING ticket, not speeding ticket. And not LESS than 75 either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.