Wiki Posts
Search

metra NW burbs to south Loop

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, UA
metra NW burbs to south Loop

Hi. This Fri ~9a I'm going from Crystal Lake on UP-NW to Roosevelt stop on the El. Am familiar with El, but never rode Metra before. Is there a "best way" to get where I'm going?

So far from the Trip Planner I've found a) transfer to Blue at Jefferson or Irving Park or b) ride to Ogilvie and walk to Clinton or Washington for the El. Any tips appreciated.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I don't think there are any tips to be had... The problem with the Metra and the El is that they don't connect in the same terminals (that being that Metra is private and the El is public). So typically I find myself walking a couple blocks before I get to one from the other...or taking a cab the rest of the way if it's only a few miles difference.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'd go to Ogilvie and walk to Clinton. Get on the back most train car, and when everybody gets off the train don't walk into the big glass-enclosed station, but instead go down the back stairs to the Washington St. concourse, make a left and exit the station onto Clinton, and make a right.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
Atomic - Metra is funded by the same agency as the CTA (el) - the RTA. I am not sure where the 'private' comes from.

Also, there are a few stations where the el and Metra do join up - Jefferson Park is an example. There are a few others - but not many. If the Circle Line on the el is ever built, there will be many more. One objective of the Circle Line is to make connections between the el trains and the Metra trains more convenient.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer
Atomic - Metra is funded by the same agency as the CTA (el) - the RTA. I am not sure where the 'private' comes from.
Oops, sorry... I believe that the original Metra project was supposed to privately commissioned, but then RTA was formed and took over. (It's been a while since I studied Chicago history/politics, so I'm very sorry about the mis-info above.) But since we are talking about the government...the CTA and Metra are still separate entities (although overseen by the RTA) and thus can't coordinate with each other worth a darn. It's too bad too...I would love to see more connections at major hubs like O'Hare, Union Station, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:01 pm
glg

nm, I forgot about the clinton stop on the green line, was thinking people were recommending going to blue.

but I'll agree with those that suggested a cab. It's a short distance, so if you're in any hurry, just do that.

Last edited by glg; Jul 14, 2006 at 12:17 pm
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
The Pink and Green lines both stop at Clinton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.