Wiki Posts
Search

Dearborn, MI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Dearborn, MI

Hi all,

I have to spend about 2-3 nights in Dearborn next week, and the last time I was there I was underwhelmed. I found a decent restuarant called Agave or something, but I wouldn't mind something closer to Dearborn. Any suggestions for decent clean restaurants in the area? How about any other tips on what to do?

Also there is a mall called Fairlaine Town Center near where I am staying. Is it a safe place to kill some time?

TIA

AJ
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is an Italian restaurant called Castaldi's in Fairlane mall that has decent (old style) Italian food and waiters that sing opera. Otherwise the Hyatt is about the best that food gets (or the Ritz Carlton if you want the same food for double the price). But I don't know the area well, it does look like a wasteland when it comes to good food. Near Dearborn are hundreds of Arab restaurants, fwiw, so you can always get great hummus and babaganoush.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:44 am

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
I have not been able to find anything memorable in Dearborn, even when I visit places recommended to me. The mall has mostly chains around it.

If I feel adventerous, I travel west to the suburbs on a major surface street and look for something interesting. I would not use the term "kill some time" in the Detroit Metro area!. The city neighborhoods adjacent to Dearborn are very poor; I've stopped to ask for directions and everyone I spoke to was wasted even at 11:00 am!

Steve
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by number_6
There is an Italian restaurant called Castaldi's in Fairlane mall that has decent (old style) Italian food and waiters that sing opera.
That place closed not too long ago. If you do want Italian, there is now an Andiamo on Michigan Ave just west of Fairlane. A few other places I like are An nam for Vietnamese, The Grill at the Ritz Carlton, and Miller's Bar for a great burger.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
If you have the time, I have always enjoyed the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Much better alternative to just "killing time".
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:24 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

There is a very high concentration of Middle Easterners (predominately Iraqi) in that area thus many wonderful small restaurants offering regional cuisine.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:38 pm

Andiamo and Annam are both good recommendations. I would also add La Shish for Middle Eastern food. The downtown Dearborn location would be a short cab ride from the Hyatt.

Cheli's Chili Bar (also in downtown Dearborn) has good bar food and local flavor - it's owned by Red Wings player Chris Chelios. It's not worth a long wait on the weekends though.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by ajalan
Hi all,

I have to spend about 2-3 nights in Dearborn next week, and the last time I was there I was underwhelmed. I found a decent restuarant called Agave or something, but I wouldn't mind something closer to Dearborn. Any suggestions for decent clean restaurants in the area? How about any other tips on what to do?

Also there is a mall called Fairlaine Town Center near where I am staying. Is it a safe place to kill some time?

TIA

AJ
Try the Big Fish -- it's near Fairlane -- which is a very safe area.

Bob H
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
There are TONS of great Thai restaurants all over the place in Dearborn, particularily off of Michigan avenue. I second Miller's for a great bar burger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.