Reload this Page >

Can Del Taco come to Chicago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Del Taco come to Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
With the plethora of tacquerias in Chicago, Chicago does not need a so-so Mexican chain, Del Taco is better than Taco Bell but does not come close to the quality (and cheap prices) that the many many tacquerias located here offer.

If one can’t find a good tacqueria in the Chicago area, which has the third largest Hispanic population in the U.S., someone isn’t looking very hard. @:-)

--
With all due respect, Del Taco fans, I agree 100% with Willie. Granted, Del Taco may put out a superior product by fast food standards. But its not particularly hard around here to find a local "hole in the wall joint" with cheap prices and knock-your-socks-off fantastic offerings.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
A friend of mine went to work for Del Taco a few years ago as Director of Menu Development. When I ran across her recently, she asked if I'd ever tried Del Taco's burgers. She said they were the best fast food burgers in Southern CA in her not-so-humble opinion.
So I had to give them a shot and sure enough the Double Del Cheeseburger was a step above the usual Wendy's/BK/McD's/Jack-In-The-Box offering.
Something to consider if you're cruising by one and don't feel like Mexican food.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
A friend of mine went to work for Del Taco a few years ago as Director of Menu Development. When I ran across her recently, she asked if I'd ever tried Del Taco's burgers. She said they were the best fast food burgers in Southern CA in her not-so-humble opinion.
So I had to give them a shot and sure enough the Double Del Cheeseburger was a step above the usual Wendy's/BK/McD's/Jack-In-The-Box offering.
Something to consider if you're cruising by one and don't feel like Mexican food.
Kind of like JITB's tacos...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I agree with the OP that Del Taco needs to expand more beyond California. I love Del Taco's greasy cheese quesadillas with hot sauce on top. Tacos del Carbon are good too.

I still don't understand why all the taco combos come with fries, though. I'll take an order of nachos any day over Del Taco's nasty crinkle-cut fries.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:36 am

This thread has me most intruigued... is del taco better than chipotle? I loooooove chipotle!
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 3timesalady
This thread has me most intruigued... is del taco better than chipotle? I loooooove chipotle!

Chipotle Grill, like Baja Fresh and La Salsa, position themselves a level up from a Del Taco type operation. Del Taco is known in the industry as fast food period. Chipotle Grill, Baja Fresh, Rubios and La Salsa-type operations are known as fast casual. They claim to prepare food closer to the actual order, use "fresher" ingredients, blah, blah, blah.
Whether one is better than the other is a matter of personal taste.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:07 pm

Del Taco does put a tomato slice on their tacos unlike Taco Bell. Chipotle, Rubios, Baja Fresh, etc have fresh salsa and not the ketchup-pack hot sauce and they don't have drive thru service but consider them a little less greasy variation on the fast food theme, but still fast food.

In my opinion the greasy taco stands are the best! The independent little mom/pops. In San Diego, we have these offshoots of the Roberto's chain (local chain of "real mexican fast food" - refried beans made with pure lard, for example -the real artery-clogging metabolic syndrome causing deal) where they are variations of the original Roberto's:
Alberto's
Aliberto's
Rolberto's
Juanberto's
Aiberto's

There's more but these are off the top of my head, it cracks me up to see some new variation of the ---berto's name when they open a new one. Any of these dives have great greasy mexican food - and the breakfasts are the perfect antidote for your hangover!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Premier This Year :-( PAL Mabuhay Elite; Starwood Gold; Marriott Gold
How bout Pollo Loco? ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.