Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cubs suck

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2006, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Cubs suck

so disappointed...

So I even gave up my Memorial Day tickets against the 1ST PLACE REDS!!!

at least the weather is nicer and hot dawgs at the ball park are still nice.
Old May 9, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
7 straight losses in a row...

Lee is surely missed
Old May 9, 2006, 7:43 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
They suck out loud.

Especially compared to their neighbors to the South...
Old May 9, 2006, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
The Cubs don't have to win. In fact, it's better for the management/ownership if they don't win.

They sell out all season long whether they win or lose (contrast that to their neighbors on the South Side). They have among the best nationwide television coverage of any team (thanks to the WGN superstation). So winning won't increase revenue significantly. They sell tons of licensed merchandise.

However, if they win, expenses will go up; when a team wins the series, the players all want raises, and many have bonus clauses in their contracts; so winning a series can cost a team tens of millions of dollars.

They can maximize revenue by making it to the first round of playoffs once every three to four years. Any better than that, and expenses increase but revenue doesn't.

BTW, introducing night games was stupid. With their coverage on WGN, and a season of 3:30 p.m. games, every kid in Montana or Kentucky could come home from school, flick on the tube, and watch the Cubs. Those kids will grow up to be Cub fans. Day games assured that the Cubs would have the largest fan base in the country; going to night games punched that meal ticket full of holes.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Connie Mack always wanted the Philadelphia Athletics to come in second. That way he could pull in alot from the gate but would not have to pay higher salaries.

Steve
Old May 10, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
The Cubs don't have to win. In fact, it's better for the management/ownership if they don't win.

They sell out all season long whether they win or lose (contrast that to their neighbors on the South Side). They have among the best nationwide television coverage of any team (thanks to the WGN superstation). So winning won't increase revenue significantly. They sell tons of licensed merchandise.

However, if they win, expenses will go up; when a team wins the series, the players all want raises, and many have bonus clauses in their contracts; so winning a series can cost a team tens of millions of dollars.

They can maximize revenue by making it to the first round of playoffs once every three to four years. Any better than that, and expenses increase but revenue doesn't.

BTW, introducing night games was stupid. With their coverage on WGN, and a season of 3:30 p.m. games, every kid in Montana or Kentucky could come home from school, flick on the tube, and watch the Cubs. Those kids will grow up to be Cub fans. Day games assured that the Cubs would have the largest fan base in the country; going to night games punched that meal ticket full of holes.

Even though they don't have to win, they do need to at least be perceived as competitive. The "Wait until next year!" needs the hope that things will get better.

Who would have thought that the Cubs could be in danger of becoming the SECOND most popular major league team in Chicago?
Old May 10, 2006, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Sad when one has to travel southside for any chance of a win :0
Old May 10, 2006, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by chichow
so disappointed...

So I even gave up my Memorial Day tickets against the 1ST PLACE REDS!!!

at least the weather is nicer and hot dawgs at the ball park are still nice.
As long as the Cub "fans" keep buying up those tickets and selling out Wrigley, the Tribune has no incentive to improve the team or operate any other way they have been which is as a profit center. Most of the folks that go there these days, sadly, know nothing about what is happening on field. I am off to read about my Sox in the sports page now!

I can sponsor a few of you;
http://pointofview.typepad.com/pov/2...ould_be_a.html

Last edited by DataPlumber; May 10, 2006 at 8:20 am
Old May 13, 2006, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm always amused by people who think the Cubs don't want to win. Of course they do. Yes, it's nice to sell out the ball park. But, there is huge money in advertising revenue and the better they play, the higher their ratings and the more money everybody makes. And that is the bottom line.
Old May 13, 2006, 3:13 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm always amused by people who think the Cubs don't want to win. Of course they do. Yes, it's nice to sell out the ball park. But, there is huge money in advertising revenue and the better they play, the higher their ratings and the more money everybody makes. And that is the bottom line.
Yeah, well they still suck

Old May 13, 2006, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Yeah, well they still suck

This cannot be denied!
Old May 13, 2006, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Of course they want to win, but they are still the Cubs. They are headed the wrong way in a hurry this year. Any bets on how much longer Dusty Baker will last?
Old May 13, 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Of course they want to win, but they are still the Cubs. They are headed the wrong way in a hurry this year. Any bets on how much longer Dusty Baker will last?
I think that they'll give Dusty a contract extension unless they stay in this terrible tailspin. With Wood, Prior and Lee coming back within the next month or so, things might pick up. Dusty is not the best manager in the world (far from it), but I think the consistency of having the same manager over 7 or 8 years would be good in the long run. However, if they don't get back to .500, he's gone.
Old May 15, 2006, 6:47 am

I gave up free 5th row tix behing the 1st base dugout for a Cubs/Padres game the other day....and I don't regret it.

This team REALLY tries my loyalty some years.

This is one of them.
Old May 15, 2006, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by FinsUp99
I gave up free 5th row tix behing the 1st base dugout for a Cubs/Padres game the other day....and I don't regret it.

This team REALLY tries my loyalty some years.

This is one of them.
No matter how bad the team is, I would NEVER pass up free premium tickets to watch baseball in Wrigley Field. There is no better place to watch a baseball game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.