Urinetown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Urinetown

Just saw this play last night. WONDERFULY ENTERTAINING !!! ^ ^

Urinetown, the Tony-Award winning musical comedy created by Chicago's Mark Hollmann and Greg Kotis, will begin its first resident commercial Chicago run March 15 toward an opening of March 26 at The Mercury Theater.

Nominated for 10 Tony Awards in 2002, and winner for Best Book of a Musical, Urinetown is the satirical tale of greed, corruption, romance and revolution in a city where water is worth its weight in gold. The show celebrates and spoofs Broadway musical theatre traditions, "poking good-natured fun at everything from corporate greed and politics to boy-meets-girl romance to good-versus-evil."

The original musical - it's not based on source material - features music and lyrics by Mark Hollmann, book and lyrics by Greg Kotis. The writers have reportedly begun working on a sequel as well as a prequel to Urinetown.
The leading roles of Bobby Strong and Hope Cladwell will be played by Michael Buchanan (national tour, Miss Saigon) and Tamara Spiewak (Broadway's Les Miserables). Other Chicago cast members include Christine Sherrill as Penelope Pennywise; Michael Accardo as Caldwell B. Cladwell; Norm Boucher as Senator Fipp; Jon Frazier as Officer Lockstock; Roni Geva as Little Sally; Rob Lindley as Mr. McQueen; Joseph Anthony Foronda as Old Man Strong and Hot Blades Harry; Nancy Jane Nelson as Ma Strong; Sarah Hayes as Soupy Sue; and Jon Runnfeldt as Tiny Tom. Dan Ferretti, Bil Ingraham, Michael Mahler, Sara Patsy, Maggie Portman, Gerald Richardson, Thomas M. Shea, and Amy Steele comprise the ensemble.

Open since February 1996, the Mercury Theater "is an intimate 300-seat theatre that houses a variety of theatrical entertainment including Broadway touring companies, local theatre productions, music and dance showcases and children's theatre."

The regular schedule for Urinetown will be Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7:30 PM, Fridays at 8 PM, Saturdays at 5 & 8:30 PM and Sundays at 5 PM.
Tickets are on sale via Ticketmaster. Information will also be available at Hollmann and Kotis' www.urinetown.com site.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
It is a privilege to pee!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
I thought you were talking about my neighborhood!

Steve
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Some days urinetown, other days yur outtatown. That's the nature of us frequent fliers.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:02 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Just saw this play last night. WONDERFULY ENTERTAINING !!! ^ ^

Urinetown is the satirical tale of greed, corruption, romance and revolution in a city where water is worth its weight in gold. The show celebrates and spoofs Broadway musical theatre traditions, "poking good-natured fun at everything from corporate greed and politics to boy-meets-girl romance to good-versus-evil."
Urinetown is the anti-Les Miserables, and the people arise with surprsing results. I laughed so hard in NYC tears rolled down my cheeks, and because I couldn't quite explain it to Mrs. J. I took her to see it in SF, and she loved it as well. My daughter's high school is putting on a production and I can't wait to see it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.