Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving from MKE to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
What concerns me is that the Dan Ryan construction is going to seriously affect the Kennedy inbound, so I don't think it's gonna be just the south side that will be affected.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I've never seen more screwed up traffic in my life since I moved to IL some years ago. Sometimes it seems as though ALL the roads are torn up ALL the time. Perhaps this had some bearing on your problem.

They built the Empire State Building from scratch in 9 months 70 years ago, but it takes years to finish some short stretch of road in IL. There's a simple exit ramp onto 294 near my house that will take an entire year to complete. It's utterly inane.

And, of course, 11 of the 12 guys on the road crew are all standing around looking at the one guy actually doing something.

If I ever get insane enough to run for IL political office, I know what my platform will be.

Another possibility springs to mind. Often, driving near Chicago, there will be a huge backup for no reason. You crawl along for 20 minutes, then all of a sudden, traffic breaks free and you are going 60 again. No accident, no road construction, nothing at the site of the delay. Just a bottleneck for no reason.

I don't recall this phenomenon in other states I've lived in, at least nowhere near as often as it happens here.
Ugh, when I-294 merges into 80 is a nightmare. They are forever in construction mode.

Nice to see other Chicagoans down south! (Munster, IN over here)
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
What concerns me is that the Dan Ryan construction is going to seriously affect the Kennedy inbound, so I don't think it's gonna be just the south side that will be affected.
The inbound Kennedy is going to be a disaster, especially in the evenings when the express lanes are closed. Ashland is supposed to be the main alternate, which is going to overwhelm it as those of us who use it already to get to the SB Stevenson will lament. If you're really daring, you can try getting off at Belmont/Kimball and taking Kedzie and Sacramento through Humboldt Park and catching the west end of Warren Blvd, as the burned out lots west of the United Center shouldn't be generating too much traffic.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Ugh, when I-294 merges into 80 is a nightmare. They are forever in construction mode.
One of the two big reasons I fly ORD-IND is that it has taken me well over 2 hours on multiple occassions to get the 30 miles from I-65 & US 30 to I-294 and 127th. When I have to drive it, I'll take 65 to US 24 to US 52 to I57 north instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.