Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Why does the train at MSP have a British accent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Title says it all. What are they thinking? If anything, I would think they'd choose a Swedish accent! But British?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
United Arab Emirates were all booked up.

Steve
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Originally Posted by milepig
Title says it all. What are they thinking? If anything, I would think they'd choose a Swedish accent! But British?

I am so glad someone else noticed this. It drives me crazy every time I'm in MSP. I've asked at least 20 people who live there, and no one has an answer.

I decided it is more soothing than say, an East Coast accent, but it seems very out of place in MSP.

The really strange thing, is that it is only on the tram. The announcements in the other parts of the airport do not have an accent.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anything to do with the manufacturer/service provider of the light rail cars and software updates?

I like the announcements as they are. And they are much clearer than those announcements heard in DC and NYC or even Chicago.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
Simple..

People in the Twin Cities love it for some reason. I grew up there and later worked at KDWB, the top 40 station that decided to change the "official" female voice (the one in all the station promos, etc) to one with a british accent around 98-99. The response was rediculously poitive. Out of place, sure, but oddly they like it.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:24 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Sonya?

Is it a female voice?

On the London underground, she is known as "Sonya."
(because she getsonya nerves).
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:30 am
iff

Isn't the same voice used for the moving walkways there as well?

I always imagined they used that accent because it would stand out and get the attention of most travelers there, being different from their own.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:10 am

You know, I was asking myself the same question last weekend. Seems pretty random, although in some way pleasant. I also think that the voice on the train is the same as the moving walkways.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Here's the deal. Men are more apt to listen to a woman's voice than a man's voice; this is why some cockpit-alert sounders are recorded in a female voice. But in the voiceover business it is very difficult to find a friendly woman's voice that comes across as authoritative without being chilly... and accessible without being mistaken for sexy/suggestive. (I have made my share of corporate videos. ) A clipped female British accent attracts attention, cuts through ambient noise, resonates authority, and will never be taken for suggestive... but doesn't sound automatically unfriendly either. It's a common choice.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Let's leave the Swedes for the pictures and the British for voice overs. It keeps the world in harmony...
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:12 pm

I'm from (and live during summer break) in the Twin Cities and end up flying out of MSP most of the time (MSN doesn't really have a huge selection-at least for NW). I for one really like British/Australian accents, maybe it's a Minnesotan thing?

My theory for the voice is that the company that built the tram was trying to get back at MSP. They lost a lot of $ in penalties because of how late the tram was ready (it was REALLY LATE). They figured hey-lets give the TC'ians a foreign voice-that'll confuse 'em!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: NW Gold; lifetime WorldClubs
Many foreign travelers find it easier to understand British English than American English. What BearX220 says makes sense, too, but it may be as simple as trying to find a voice that as many passengers as possible can understand.

(If you don't believe me, go to the gate area of an international departure and look at the deer-in-the-headlights look of many passengers after the gate agent makes an announcement.)

- Martin
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: NW plat
I thought that the voice was from the same person who did NW announcements at MSP several years ago. She was rumored to be a NWA employee in some different position who also did the announcements because we like her voice. You betch'ya.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:13 pm

At JFK T3, the lady who's been doing the PA announcements for many many years is a Brit. It sounds a lot better than the other major staff offerings: Longggh Island or South Asian.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I never use the tram/train at MSP, but I notice the British voice everytime I come in from the parking ramp. Struck me as odd the very first time. Having grown up in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I think a more "local" accent should be in order. Something along the lines of, "Oh hey der! Velcome to da Minneapolis Airport. Ya sure, you betcha!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.