Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Profiles in Excellence - Soul Food - Feb 5 (city of North Chicago)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

23rd Annual. Join nationally-recognized food writer and former food editor of Ebony magazine, Charla Draper*, Lake County Health Department Community Dietician Toby Smithson, and Charles and Juanita of Aunt Obie’s Ribs & Soul Food restaurant for this celebration. We’ll discuss the origins of soul food and the benefits of healthier cooking. Inspiration and entertainment from Christian Fellowship Church Choir of Zion and local schools round out the day.

When: February 5, 2006 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Where: Greenbelt Cultural Center 1215 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064-1013 (847) 968-3477
Cost: Free

No registration required. Questions? Call 847-968-3477.

*Charla Draper is from Culinary Historians of Chicago, she's on the board of Southern Foodways Alliance and staff food writer for Southern Living magazine.

Seeing as I have to drive up to Milwaukee for a conference first thing Monday am, I think I'll attend this as it is on the way.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:10 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
African-Americans LOVE their preachers!!! Out of the group of 150 that showed up, there must have been 10 preachers.

Charla spoke on the origins of Soul Food in America. Basically the same story the world 'round. The rich folk (in this case masters) dined on the "desirable" food and the poor folk(slaves) had to make due with the less desirable cuts and supplement with what they did have access to. Some of the worlds greatest dishes were created because of this.

I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever sung "We shall overcome", quite an experience.

At the end of the program, a soul food cookbook was handed out and Aunt Obie's restaurant provided the soul food. If you are ever up in the Waukegan IL area, Aunt Obie's serves some kick-... soul food ^ ^ http://www.obiesribs.com/

Soul Food is not always the most healthy, as a result Aunt Obie's has worked with the Lake county nutritionist to create "healthy" soul food, which Aunt Obie's now serves a number of these healthy dishes and of course they still serve the good old non-healthy soul food like smothered fried chicken. The food smelled so good that right before a speaker came up to the podium, a preacher stated, "you're gonna have to make this quick, I smell chicken!" at which time the whole place laughed and applauded.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Charla spoke on the origins of Soul Food in America. Basically the same story the world 'round. The rich folk (in this case masters) dined on the "desirable" food and the poor folk(slaves) had to make due with the less desirable cuts and supplement with what they did have access to. Some of the worlds greatest dishes were created because of this.

At the end of the program, a soul food cookbook was handed out and Aunt Obie's restaurant provided the soul food. If you are ever up in the Waukegan IL area, Aunt Obie's serves some kick-... soul food ^ ^ http://www.obiesribs.com/

Thanks, Willie. Next time I go up to Milwaukee, I'll stop there. Just looking at that plate Obie is holding makes me hungry!

My girlfriend makes the "collared greens" which are basically the least desirable greens brilliantly flavored with a bone and a little meat. I love the macaroni & cheese, pot roast,fried chicken and pork chops. Unfortunately, I don't like the greens or catfish too much. [The infamous evening the Cubs lost the playoff game with the fan interfering with the foul ball, we ran into Dusty Baker at Louie's On the Park (I guess he needed a beer) and she ordered him a plate of catfish, which oddly enough, is reputed to be very good there!].

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.