Search

Al Franken in town this Sat night - Jan 28, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:57 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Al Franken in town this Sat night - Jan 28, 2006

If you can't beat 'em, laugh at 'em. That's been the conceit behind the comedy of AL FRANKEN. Hear what he has to say about the current administration and more at city SALOON. Jan. 28, 2006 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tickets are $50, admission to a pre-performance reception as well is $250, proceeds benefit Midwest Values PAC. 151 W. Ohio St., 312-527-3667, http://www.midwestvaluespac.org
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
anyone interested in going?? I think it'd be fun...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I'd go if it was someone funny that was going to be there. Nothing like a comic retread trying to be political.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I like Al ^ , I'll be there w/the Mrs.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:48 pm

unfortunately I'm sick as a dog AND I have to work the midnight - 8 am shift in the ER... so much for this event.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I know a guy who grew up on the same street as Al Franken in Minnesota.

He told me that without any doubt, Franken is the biggest SOB he's ever met in his entire life.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

He told me that without any doubt, Franken is the biggest SOB he's ever met in his entire life.
Not what I hear. A good friend of mine and her husband are friends with him and his wife, and the husband has worked with him quite a bit. This friend is constantly going on about what a nice guy he is, and that he maintains a very regular lifestyle.

I also had the chance to meet him at a live airing of his Air America show in Atlanta, and he was very friendly and approachable.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATLpax
Not what I hear. A good friend of mine and her husband are friends with him and his wife, and the husband has worked with him quite a bit. This friend is constantly going on about what a nice guy he is, and that he maintains a very regular lifestyle.

I also had the chance to meet him at a live airing of his Air America show in Atlanta, and he was very friendly and approachable.

Maybe as an adult, he's become a good actor.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATLpax

After seeing and listening to him last night I can see how people would take either side posted above.

He is very approachable, good natured but also has a very shrill way of conducting humor which could easily place him in the SOB camp.

US Senator Dick Durbin and U.S. Representative Jan Schakowsky spoke before Al.

Biggest take away I had from the evening, that confirmed what I have felt for awhile is BOTH the Democrats and Republicans are full of crap. Maybe one party is less BS on an issue than the other but they BOTH stink equally. Each believing that they have all the answers and the other guy doesn't.
Forget coalition building, it is not going to happen anytime soon.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Since several people have already sinned by bringing politics into this thread, I am just going to add a question. Does anyone else find it ironic that Al Franken has made several trips to Afghanistan and Iraq to entertain the troops while his nemesis (I can't even stand to mention his name), who appears daily on WLS in Chicago, sits on his a** in a studio every day and shows his support for the troops by shooting off his mouth?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Since several people have already sinned by bringing politics into this thread, I am just going to add a question. Does anyone else find it ironic that Al Franken has made several trips to Afghanistan and Iraq to entertain the troops while his nemesis (I can't even stand to mention his name), who appears daily on WLS in Chicago, sits on his a** in a studio every day and shows his support for the troops by shooting off his mouth?

The man of whom you speak has indeed been to Afghanistan. He has discussed it on his show and I think a report is on his website.

He has also done charitable work for the troops.

Don't believe everything you hear.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The man of whom you speak has indeed been to Afghanistan. He has discussed it on his show and I think a report is on his website.

He has also done charitable work for the troops.

Don't believe everything you hear.
Don Wade has been to Afghanistan?

I'm sure the nameless person is quite the entertainer. If I'm wrong - then I'm wrong. I'll trust you - I certainly am not going to root around looking on his website. But IMHO there is still a certain amount of irony in the fact that Franken has gone several times, including Iraq, given the respective political positions and "support" for the effort.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
But IMHO there is still a certain amount of irony in the fact that Franken has gone several times, including Iraq, given the respective political positions and "support" for the effort.

Franken goes to support the troops, not to support the reason they're there... thus proving (contrary to some people's exhortations) that it is indeed possible to be a patriot and support the troops while disagreeing with the incumbent administration and its policies.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:25 pm

Franken goes to support the troops, not to support the reason they're there... thus proving (contrary to some people's exhortations) that it is indeed possible to be a patriot and support the troops while disagreeing with the incumbent administration and its policies.

I guess that is a matter of perspective now isnt it?

Ken in Phx
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:39 pm

Is it?

I've always considered open, honest, and rational dissent and debate to be one of the highest form of patriotism - that's what started this country, after all. Blind faith to one's leaders can be a dangerous thing.

One can be a patriot and still disagree with the rationale behind those leading us. Or do you think that one must march lock-step with the administration, despite policies that one doesn't agree with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.