Search

Wow Bao - great Asian buns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow Bao - great Asian buns

Went to Wow Bao today in Water Tower Place. Purchased a Wow Bao six-pack of buns to split, a six pack is $7.49, or they are $1.29 apiece.

What is Bao? Bao = delicious, steamed hot Asian buns filled with tasty meat and vegetable combinations

Our six pack contained one each of the 6 flavors they carry: Kung Pao Chicken, Chicken Teriyaki, Thai Curry, Green Vegetable, Spicy Mongolian Beef, BBQ Pork. Also a fresh ginger, ginger ale to drink.

Our favorites in order from best to ok (there were no bad ones)

Spicy Mongolian
Chicken Teriyaki
BBQ Pork
Thai Curry
Green Vegetable
Kung Pao Chicken

The only one we really thought was just ok was the Kung Pao. The first three were terrific and we would get again.

Wow Bao also features a bun of the month; this month’s was spicy curry bun.

Thanks to Indo79 for recommending this place to me. Indo79 mentioned that the bun or bao is pretty close to what he was used to in Singapore.

Wow Bao http://www.wowbao.com/
Water Tower Place
835 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Me and my wife always stop there when in Chicago and it is great for lunch. I will be there this weekend for sure.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: Nothing much anymore. Used to be annual 1K but ditched the work travel life. Still 1MM on UA.
Per Sweet Willie's recommendation, I stopped by here a couple weeks ago and loved it. Had the kung pao chicken and a couple mongolian steak buns. Good stuff.

I brought my co-worker along, and he initially said, "we're in Chicago and you're taking me to some mall food court place for dinner?!?", but he ended up enjoying it as well.

I'd definitely recommend this place for some good eats that won't cost a lot either. I think the two of us ate for $17.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW; Big Bowl serves the same Bao's AND also has them to go. I'm pretty sure the Wow Bao concept started because the bao's at Big Bowl were so popular.

Dominicks just started carrying Bao's in their own brand, and I have to say; they are just as good as the Wow Bao bao's!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, love this place...and very reasonabily priced!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I used to love the place, but I had a bit of stomach troubles after my last visit. I won't go into details, but I ate some steamed buns and a pad thai salad with chicken. I know that stuff from steam tables is often a big red flag in food poisoning because it's tough to keep it at the right temperature to inhibit bacteria growth. I'd probably eat it again, but I'd pay close attention to make sure that the buns had just been brought out from the kitchen...nothing lingering for too long. Just a heads up... Wow Bao is owned by Lettuce Entertain You, which is an upstanding restaurant company in Chicago, and I don't think this is a systemic problem. I'd gotten food from Wow Bao a number of times without a problem, and I've never had a problem with any of their other restaurants.

The irony is that I've lived in a third world country and traveled all over the place with no problems, yet I've gotten food poisoning 3 times in the last year in Chicago, all after eating at restaurant/catered events/public places.

(Disclaimer, yes...I know that the onset of food poisoning can be 8 hours to 3 days. When I'm not eating out, I have a fairly routine diet. So, for example, it's pretty safe to rule out things like my standard breakfast of milk & cereal or oatmeal, or a Lean Cuisine for lunch. When I've had food poisoning, there's usually only been one obvious thing that would be the culprit. But if you read about food poisoning, you'd be amazed at some things you wouldn't expect--scallions, cantalope--that are leading causes of food poisoning.)
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Meh, it's okay. Good deal for the area, and the vegetable ones are pretty good, but there's better available (in Chinatown, of course).

When right around Water Tower Place, I usually end up at L'Appetito -- try the arancini (rice croquettes with meat filling). Chicago Flat Sammies is the LEYE concept inside the Visitors' Center; it's surprisingly good. And for lunch, Service Entrance is a longtime favorite.
.pc
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
When right around Water Tower Place, I usually end up at L'Appetito -- try the arancini (rice croquettes with meat filling).
As Paytonc says, L'Appetito is great! Their subs and paninis are also terrific. They brew great Illy coffee and make terrific cookies. If you're on N. Michigan Ave. but not near Water Tower, their original location is at Huron and Wabash (a couple blocks west of the Apple Store and Chicago Place mall).

Where/what is Service Entrance?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paytonc
Meh, it's okay. Good deal for the area, and the vegetable ones are pretty good, but there's better available (in Chinatown, of course).
Could you give some Chinatown recommendations for these buns? Thanks.

I've had good experiences with Wow Bao. My somewhat picky kid loves the barbeque ones.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Could you give some Chinatown recommendations for these buns? Thanks.

I've had good experiences with Wow Bao. My somewhat picky kid loves the barbeque ones.
Phoenix is my go-to place for dim sum, and they do serve a few varieties of steamed buns. (If you don't see what you want on carts, you can always flag down a manager to order the dish that interests you.)

I'm under the impression (but I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that Wow Bao is probably serving some non-traditional fillings. However, I think you'll find BBQ and curry buns at a lot of dim sum places in Chinatown.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Phoenix is my go-to place for dim sum, and they do serve a few varieties of steamed buns. (If you don't see what you want on carts, you can always flag down a manager to order the dish that interests you.)

I'm under the impression (but I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that Wow Bao is probably serving some non-traditional fillings. However, I think you'll find BBQ and curry buns at a lot of dim sum places in Chinatown.
Thanks. Wow Bao has a website: www.wowbao.com

Varieties of bao are:

Kung Pao Cashew Chicken
Chicken Teriyaki
Thai Curry Chicken
Green Vegetable
Spicy Mongolian Beef
Barbeque Pork

Some of those don't sound too Chinese to me.

I had forgotten they were part of the Lettuce Entertain You chain. Looks like you can use the frequent diner card there, accumulating credits for future dining. And every Christmastime LEYE offers discounts on gift certificates, about 20% if I remember right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.