Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:27 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Tasty Ethnic Eats - Minneapolis MSP

Was surfing and came across these in Citypages.com

Khyber Pass Cafe
1571 Grand Ave, St. Paul; 651.690.0505
Right across Snelling Avenue from Macalester College, Khyber Pass serves Afghani home cooking in classic college-town style--that is, in large portions, with plenty of vegetarian options, in a room that's fancy enough to take your visiting parents to, but not so expensive that you couldn't pick up the check with your birthday money. The kabobs of lamb, chicken, and kofta, the classic meatball-like mixture made with lots of herbs and spice, are always good bets--if Mom's doing the Zone, look no further. Vegetarian combination plates with sabzi, fresh spinach cooked with leeks and spices, or kachaloo, stewed potatoes with green peas, are simple and satisfying. A serviceable wine list, rose-water rice pudding, Afghani green tea with cardamom, and pretty, piped in Afghani music round out the experience. Basically, when intellectual, non-fiction types put aside their reading glasses in favor of plain, though nicely spiced, food at calculus free prices, Khyber Pass is one of their top local picks.

Jerusalem's Restaurant
1518 Nicollet Ave S, Mpls.; 612.871.8883
Ever since camels got humps Jerusalem's has been winning local 'Best Middle Eastern Restaurant' awards--or at least, it seems that way. Why? The awkwardly charming tented room, which always feels like it's just been whipped together for a party just for you. The inexpensive, simple foods perfect both for a quiet vegetarian date (with wine or beer!), or for a super-filling mixed plate of lamb specialties. It's not terrifically fancy or aggressively cutting edge, but that's probably why it's first in so many hearts: Jerusalem's just sits near downtown, year after year, under its funny onion dome, quietly radiating the homey vibe of a place where you can slip off your Birkenstocks and discuss politics, culture, or which came first, the camel or the hump.

True Thai
WEB SITE: http://www.truethairestaurant.com
2627 E Franklin Ave, Mpls.; 612.375.9942
A neighborhood sweetheart of a corner shop with a catfish salad to die for, True Thai is another jewel in the crown of Seward, that academic haven with Mississippi views. That catfish salad combines fried slices of catfish as crisp as an apple slice tossed with shredded green mango and handfuls of fresh herbs in a zippy citrus-and-chili marinade, all of which tastes like a meadow would, if it were made of fireworks. The pad thai is light and fresh, topped with the traditional chives and sweet radish, instead of the scallions and nothing you find at other local, less classically minded Thai spots. The wine and beer list is tiny, but budget-friendly and well rounded. In fact, don’t let the neighborhood character of this local sweetie pie fool you: the kitchen is helmed by the esteemed Chef Nong, a veteran of prestigious Thai hotels, and she makes all her curries from scratch, incorporating rarely seen ingredients like fresh kaffir lime zest. Be sure to try the Sweet Green Curry, which, reportedly, 100 years ago, was only served to Thai royalty and palace guests. Now you’re eating like royalty in a crown jewel, for under $10. Viva democracy!

The Liffey
WEB SITE: http://www.theliffey.com
175 West 7th St, St. Paul; 651.556.1416
With an all-day happy hour and the best Guinness pour in town, the Liffey is a brand new St. Paul bar with old world Irish heart. Fans of woodworking should drop by to check out the hand-carved teak everything made by artisans back in County Wexford; fans of Emerald isle comfort foods should stop by for some estimable fish and chips, home-made, spicily scented corned beef, or hangover-busting curried chips; and fans of someplace new to take the parents for breakfast should check out the budget-friendly Sunday brunch, during which traditional Irish musicians drop in to lift a pint and make a joyful noise.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:16 pm

Hi Willie: We just ate at the Liffey and I will tell you what the best deal is-happy hour. It starts at 11 am until 6 pm and pints of Guinness are $3-3.50. Then it starts again around 9 pm or so and appetizers are $1.99 and pints are $3-3.50 again. It's just across the street from the new Excel Arena and the interior is absolutely gorgeous. Plus they had a nice reuben sandwich loaded with corn beef, sauerkraut and cheese plus huge plate of skin on fries for $8.50. Parking is free in the back.

True Thai was just okay on my one and only visit. I had a dish that was way to oily--oilier than any Thai food I've ever had or cooked. I should have ordered the fish but it was kind of expensive even at lunch.

The Mediterranean place you mentioned becomes a really good deal when you use the Entertainment book coupon B1G1 free and has a belly dancer on Fri and Sat nights. The food I've had there has been very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.